Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm betting that list was from an email that went out to dealers that leaked onto Facebook.
•• Beau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:50 pm
I'm betting that list was from an email that went out to dealers that leaked onto Facebook.
I was thinking along those lines too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 am
I'm still not sure this is real but it sure seems like it. I've asked where the list came from but haven't got a response yet. I checked the Spyderco's official page on FB, IG, this forum, and the Spyderco App and I don't see it.

EDIT: I asked the person who posted that list where it came from. Two people laughed at my question and the OP has now replied with "Benchmade". So take the list for whatever it's worth at this point. Not worth much IMO

That's quite rude, they could have just said it's confidential. But on the other hand, some dealers might get in trouble with Spyderco if the leak was traced to them so I guess I could understand the need for secrecy.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The list was supposed to be released about now, but any early disclosure is just not right.

Rules are rules...

Thanks to all those folk that bought Serratas and Sustains...much appreciated.
I have two Serratas and one Sustain, so grab the rest while you can! :)

Now is the time to publically thank Sal and Eric and the fine folk at Spyderco for doing the collaborations with me!

Salute!
archangel

Post by archangel »

I like my Serrata alot! Grab one while you can, folks!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SG89 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:07 pm
Maybe the Rhino is getting discontinued to make room for a new Rheinhold design
He has a design or two made by another company and that usually means no more from Spyderco. There are exceptions, but few and far between. I don't agree with the policy, but it is what it is. Sal posted about it a couple of years ago.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Serrata and Rhino are both great designs. Shame they're going away. (Will I ever get a 3V or Cruwear Serrata sprint now?)

Surprised at the Brouwer - it seems somewhat popular. I see it mentioned a lot more than some knives I was betting would be on the list.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Sad to see the Brouwer and Rhino go. Many of the others were not necessarily surprising.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I understand the reasons and benefits in discontinuing models, but in my opinion, axing the Province, is discontinuing the best production fixed blade of its kind, or the equivalent of having discontinued one of the iconic folders like the Police during only its first generation.
It also seemed rather popular here, but maybe that appreciation didn’t reach very far beyond the forum. I’m not really sure?
The model is definitely good enough to, theoretically, have become a flagship fixed blade that’d boost the overall interest in others from Spyderco.

I think really highly of the Sustain and Serrata as well, but at least they’ve been around a bit longer and I look forward to what may come in their place. Fixed Blade Spydies just don’t seem to be treated the same as the folders generally, which I kinda get, but I wish wasn’t the case.

Designs as good as these should really be way more popular with much longer production life spans, so why not? I don’t intend to criticize Spyderco here, just honestly baffled how something like the Province or another of their genuinely great fixies doesn’t become a powerhouse in the lineup.
It must be a market thing where they somehow fly under the radar. I seriously can’t wrap my head around it.

I want to see a world where Spyderco’s fixed blades are thriving just as much as their folders.

Anyway, I’ll probably end up buying a lot of these on the secondary market, including folders like the Brouwer, well after they’re out of stock because I just don’t have the funds regardless of discounts to get them in a timely manner.
Well, likely aside from the pointy tipped/serrated Z-cut which, while I understand and am glad they’re not going entirely, the loss of that edge/tip combo admittedly is also odd to me.
I mean, that’s like the best combination right?

Sorry, I don’t think I’d usually be so ranty because of a leaked discontinued list. I’ve just had those things about the fixies on my mind for a while and this broke the camel’s back or whatever.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
kobold

Post by kobold »

Anything ZDP. Some zome models. Warrior Hawk.

Just saw the list. :zany Wrong on all accounts.

Hope they bring back the original Mantra.
Last edited by kobold on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I'll definitely be adding a backup Brouwer to the collection if I can find one.. that knife will be a steal at dc'd prices..

I don't generally have a great need to carry a FB, but the Province, Serrata, and Sustain are also all very tempting.. i'll probably keep them on my radar and pick one up depending on how low dc'd pricing goes and my will-power (or lack thereof) on a given day..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

With the new Lil Native slipit, the Urban LW might get the axe since they shortened the blade. Golden's fit and finish are light years above and away from that of Maniago.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
phaust

Post by phaust »

Hoping the Rhino gets reborn as a back lock or kept a comp lock but moved to Golden. Love Taichung for everything but compression locks. Guessing the chances of either are low though
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 am
With the new Lil Native slipit, the Urban LW might get the axe since they shortened the blade. Golden's fit and finish are light years above and away from that of Maniago.
Can't argue with you there. I like my Urban, but it had issues. I had to file down the choil nub so the tip of the blade would rest below the handle when closed. And the Spydiehole was sharp enough to cut me. Also had to be filed by me. The best Spydies are made in Golden.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I've searched for a Brouwer at a discounted price since it has been discontinued. All 10+ dealers I've looked at are still selling it for $189.00 which is the MAP price (30% off MSRP of $270.00)! They're probably low on stock. Some display the fact that it has been discontinued.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:55 am
I understand the reasons and benefits in discontinuing models, but in my opinion, axing the Province, is discontinuing the best production fixed blade of its kind, or the equivalent of having discontinued one of the iconic folders like the Police during only its first generation.
It also seemed rather popular here, but maybe that appreciation didn’t reach very far beyond the forum. I’m not really sure?
The model is definitely good enough to, theoretically, have become a flagship fixed blade that’d boost the overall interest in others from Spyderco.

I think really highly of the Sustain and Serrata as well, but at least they’ve been around a bit longer and I look forward to what may come in their place. Fixed Blade Spydies just don’t seem to be treated the same as the folders generally, which I kinda get, but I wish wasn’t the case.

Designs as good as these should really be way more popular with much longer production life spans, so why not? I don’t intend to criticize Spyderco here, just honestly baffled how something like the Province or another of their genuinely great fixies doesn’t become a powerhouse in the lineup.
It must be a market thing where they somehow fly under the radar. I seriously can’t wrap my head around it.

I want to see a world where Spyderco’s fixed blades are thriving just as much as their folders.

Anyway, I’ll probably end up buying a lot of these on the secondary market, including folders like the Brouwer, well after they’re out of stock because I just don’t have the funds regardless of discounts to get them in a timely manner.
Well, likely aside from the pointy tipped/serrated Z-cut which, while I understand and am glad they’re not going entirely, the loss of that edge/tip combo admittedly is also odd to me.
I mean, that’s like the best combination right?

Sorry, I don’t think I’d usually be so ranty because of a leaked discontinued list. I’ve just had those things about the fixies on my mind for a while and this broke the camel’s back or whatever.

Good point there on the Province. I haven't handled one yet, but all reviews in this forum indicate a really good design and build quality overall. But then its price must have really put a dent on its sales, so that's maybe one of the reasons why it's on the disco list. Not to mention that Spyderco regularly disco's niche models to make way for new production. We should recognise that the majority of Spyderco's income comes from folders and their fixies won't sell as much to make an impact on their profit margins.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Post by vivi »

to me the province is an awkward size. too large to feel nimble for fine work, but definitely not a chopper. for me fixed blades are most handy in the 3.5-4.5" blade range, and beyond that if it doesn't chop I likely won't find a use for it. there just aren't things I need to cut a 4" blade can't handle well but a 6" blade can. wasn't wild about the ergos either, the handle is a little boxy and didn't care for the neutral angle vs spydercos typical negative rake.

the one I handled was very, very well made. flawless fit and finish and really clean grinds on the blade. i just couldn't figure out what it would excel at.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:49 pm
to me the province is an awkward size. too large to feel nimble for fine work, but definitely not a chopper. for me fixed blades are most handy in the 3.5-4.5" blade range, and beyond that if it doesn't chop I likely won't find a use for it. there just aren't things I need to cut a 4" blade can't handle well but a 6" blade can. wasn't wild about the ergos either, the handle is a little boxy and didn't care for the neutral angle vs spydercos typical negative rake.

the one I handled was very, very well made. flawless fit and finish and really clean grinds on the blade. i just couldn't figure out what it would excel at.
I totally get that perspective!

Without getting too detailed, it’s what I’d call a “Field Knife”.
The knife’s going to excel at being useful in a variety of ways rather than a more specialized function. Though, I think that is somewhat niche in its own way as clearly there are those who prefer tools to be a bit more specialized.
I like both depending on the situation.
That’s probably too vague an answer, now that I think about it, but oh well. The Province’s use is likely clear to me because I often use a similar knife. Or more accurately, I’ve found a similar knife to be sometimes useful and therefore get where something like the Province fits in my kit.
About the ergos, I’ll just say that I like that style of handle for its stability. My hands aren’t very picky though.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

If you've watched Ramzar's threads, it's obvious that we need to cull models r have a catalog bigger than the Manhattan telephone book and more inventory than the bank likes.

We have a few standards that we use for culling. The main is sales, how much inventory is there on hand, special models like Save & Serve groups. Loyalty to some makers like Bill Moran, it might be a model that we think is just slow to gain traction, or it's just a model that Eric or I just like.

sal

sal
leBaron

Post by leBaron »

As long as the Janisong exists, I am happy :)