Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Post by SG89 »

What is your prediction for the 2022 disco' list (hopefully the official list will be published in a few weeks/days)?
Are we thinking a lot of things will be discontinued this year due to production/material limitations due to the pandemic or are we thinking a light list like last year?
I'm hoping for a big list personally.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mushroom

Re: Speculative 2022 Discontinued List Discussion Thread

Post by Mushroom »

Hoping for the lightest discontinued list ever but expecting the heaviest discontinued list ever.
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just looked through the catalog. Hard to say what might be disco'd. It's always interesting to see what they decide to drop
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Collaborations, seki-made, byrds, and accessories are usually good bets for the list
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 am
Collaborations, seki-made, byrds, and accessories are usually good bets for the list
Yeah there's usually something from the specialty, flipper, &/or prestige categories.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It’ll probably be here soon…
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i hope they're not going to discontinue any that i've been waiting on them to restock. it would be pretty upsetting to see models disco'd because of low numbers that are a result of production resources being diverted to exclusives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
PStone

Post by PStone »

Yes, it’s a very sad time of the year :worried FOMO really kicks in high gear for me.

Sarcastically speaking, didn’t they (temporarily) discontinue dealer exclusives? Maybe that’s all we will see go this year.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:10 pm
Yes, it’s a very sad time of the year :worried FOMO really kicks in high gear for me.

Sarcastically speaking, didn’t they (temporarily) discontinue dealer exclusives? Maybe that’s all we will see go this year.
The discontinued list is generally for production models
Spydergirl88
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Drop point Stretch. Sounds like the Straight Spine variant is popular.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 pm
You never know but I doubt the drop point would go
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That would be big
Spydergirl88
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 pm
You never know but I doubt the drop point would go
Especially since the Stretch 2 is billed as being a hunting knife. I'm wanting one in K390 (a drop point).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Poochi, Counter Puppies.... any dog themed knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:23 pm
PStone wrote:

I know. I’m just being sarcastic and wishful. We have seen some changes in how things are done lately though. Starting last year when COVID started. So I’ll keep my fingers and toes crossed anyways.

But realistically I could see the Zoomer and Serrata being on the list. As well as the Brouwer and RaffirNoble Chap.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:27 pm
SG89 wrote:
PStone wrote:

I know. I’m just being sarcastic and wishful. We have seen some changes in how things are done lately though. Starting last year when COVID started. So I’ll keep my fingers and toes crossed anyways.

But realistically I could see the Zoomer and Serrata being on the list. As well as the Brouwer and RaffirNoble Chap.
As I foresee them gaining value, any of these would be major blow to future me’s wallet when I’d be forced to find them on the secondary market.
I will also always be sad to see most any fixed blade Spyderco go. They’re already a rarity in the lineup despite being so well made and masterfully designed across the board.

The Zoomer is probably a battle for them to produce, so I’d get it, but then they’d have another battle on their hands courtesy of my shameless posts here pleading for it to be brought back in some way :winking-tongue
(Like an FRN version)
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
PStone

Post by PStone »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:08 pm
PStone wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:27 pm
SG89 wrote:
PStone wrote:

As I foresee them gaining value, any of these would be major blow to future me’s wallet when I’d be forced to find them on the secondary market.
I will also always be sad to see most any fixed blade Spyderco go. They’re already a rarity in the lineup despite being so well made and masterfully designed across the board.

The Zoomer is probably a battle for them to produce, so I’d get it, but then they’d have another battle on their hands courtesy of my shameless posts here pleading for it to be brought back in some way :winking-tongue
(Like an FRN version)
I’m sad to see any model go. And if they do get the chop they will definitely go up in value. Don’t think I’m hating on them or Taichung though. These are all models I want. The Serrata most of all. Nothing else quite like it out there in that price range.

I could see the Zoomer following the same path as the Proficient. One and done run, but not being cut this year.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't think we'll see any deals so honestly the discontinued list doesn't generate much excitement for me.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:08 pm
I have been on the hunt for a Junction…I’ve found one dealer still offering them but north of $200. As a user, not a collector, I have to factor cost into my acquisitions and this has almost entirely factored out Spyderco fixed blades for me (I’m not really a hard use bushcraft kinda guy so smaller thinner/slicier edc options are on my radar). In the case of the Junction, knowing that most folks picked these up for very reasonable prices when they were discontinued makes it real hard to justify paying the elevated secondary market costs. I’m newish to this game and it seems that the overwhelming preference in the spyderco fixed blade offerings is for thick blades rather than slicey!

On a slightly different topic, is it just me or has anyone else gotten the impression that when value line/Byrd discontinued items (as of late) the prices go down slightly until stock is sold out, but if a spyderco main line item gets discontinued it automatically becomes a collector item and value blasts upward? Anyway, I’d love to try out a polestar, but currently have a number of other knives squarely in the same arena so I’m patiently waiting for them to be discontinued.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bjz wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:56 am

On a slightly different topic, is it just me or has anyone else gotten the impression that when value line/Byrd discontinued items (as of late) the prices go down slightly until stock is sold out, but if a spyderco main line item gets discontinued it automatically becomes a collector item and value blasts upward?
Dealers discount them initially then eventually raise the price up above what it was originally selling for. There is a mad dash every year when the discontinued list is announced bc dealers advertise a discontinued sale of them. Sometimes the dealers will keep dropping the price overtime if it's a real slow seller. The dealers also compete with each other and offer bigger discounts than another dealer or will combine items into a bundle or a BOGO. Most fun time of year for me, spydie wise.
Spydergirl88