Question about sharpening with Spyderco Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Question about sharpening with Spyderco Sharpmaker

Post by Soanso McMasters »

What angle do folks use for their knives, particularly Spyderco Knives, on the Tri-Angle Spyderco Sharpmaker? 30 degrees or 40 degrees?
TkoK83Spy

Re: Question about sharpening with Spyderco Sharpmaker

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Search the forum, you'll find hundreds of threads on this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:51 am
What angle do folks use for their knives, particularly Spyderco Knives, on the Tri-Angle Spyderco Sharpmaker? 30 degrees or 40 degrees?
It kind of depends but I almost always use the 40° side. Since the factory edge on most Spyderco knives I've seen is somewhere around 35° (inclusive), you'll usually always be sharpening on the apex. You can only do that so much though until you have to reprofile the bevel back. That's where the 30° side comes in handy. But you'll need the diamond or CBN rods to do that. Even then it takes a lot of work. That's why I invested in a fixed angle system that I use only for reprofiling
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
I reprofile my Spydies to 30 degree inclusive (if they don´t come like this already) and then give them a 40 degree microbevel for a quick sharpening or just sharpen the apex with the 30 degree setting when I invest a bit more time.

You should be fine with the 30 degree setting, especially on a folding knife. As far as I know many here give their Spydies even more acute edge angles (which is harder to do with the sharpmaker).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

40 mainly.
30 sometimes to remove the shoulders.

I recommend coloring the edge with a sharpie to see where you take off material.

Did you watch the DVD?
I recommend to watch lance clintons YouTube video.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have the very old model with only one angle setting. I am not positive, but I believe it is 40 degrees. It works well, and keeps my knives sharp. I wouldn't be able to reprofile with it though, at least not easily.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Thanks folks. I watched the videos on YouTube which I believe are the same as the included dvd.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:59 pm
I have the very old model with only one angle setting. I am not positive, but I believe it is 40 degrees. It works well, and keeps my knives sharp. I wouldn't be able to reprofile with it though, at least not easily.
Yes, the older 203 models were only 40°. That's what I used for many years until I bought the newer 204 a couple years ago. I've continued to primarily use 40°with the new unit
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
me2

Post by me2 »

Backbevel to 12 degrees per side, sharpen on the 15 degree slots on the Sharpmaker. Touch up at 20 degrees 3 or 4 times and repeat as needed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
When you got your Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker it should have come with a DVD type video. The instructional video that comes with that 204 Sharpmaker is a very valuable source of information to get started with.

Also the last time I was on Youtube I found several really good videos on using the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker. When I got my two Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker tools over 12 years ago both of mine came with a manual along with the video. I found both the manual and the video to be valuable sources of good information.

Someone recently told me that there are a couple of really good videos on the 204 Sharpmaker on www.bitchute.com. Check some of those out.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I use 40 most of the time, and 30 every couple of sharpenings to thin the shoulder.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:55 am
I use 40 most of the time, and 30 every couple of sharpenings to thin the shoulder.
Same here. I try to do this with touch-ups, usually in the 40 slot. Even doing frequent touch-ups seems easier to me than waiting till the knife needs a full sharpening. I like to maintain all of my knives this way, regardless of blade steel.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:
I reprofile my Spydies to 30 degree inclusive (if they don´t come like this already) and then give them a 40 degree microbevel for a quick sharpening or just sharpen the apex with the 30 degree setting when I invest a bit more time.

You should be fine with the 30 degree setting, especially on a folding knife. As far as I know many here give their Spydies even more acute edge angles (which is harder to do with the sharpmaker).

I do the same as Wartstein using the SharpMaker 2.0 version. Lately, some of the knives I've bought have come right out of the box ground very close to 30 degrees inclusive which makes the job easier. I have a SPY27 Mule Team that came that way so I touched it up using the 30° and 40° settings and it's a real razor.