Button comp.lock Sage?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Button comp.lock Sage?!

Post by Wartstein »

The Sage is the platform for displaying different lock types in the Spyderco lineup.

Who else would like to see the button comp.lock in the next Sage iteration (if technically possible - I have no idea what kind of - / space in the - handle this locktype requires)??

I personally am very interested in the button comp.lock - possibly featuring the great things of the comp.lock, but without the (for me) not-so-great.
Now the Smock (only button comp.lock folder I am aware of) is just really not my kind of knife but I´d certainly get a Sage just for trying out this locktype!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Re: Button comp.lock Sage?!

Post by archangel »

A knife with a wide blade such as the Sage might look weird with a cut-out needed for the button complock, if you know what I mean. Maybe some talented guy can try to sketch it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all pro button complock! Love my Smock!!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Sounds like a big improvement.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:16 am
A knife with a wide blade such as the Sage might look weird with a cut-out needed for the button complock, if you know what I mean. Maybe some talented guy can try to sketch it up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all pro button complock! Love my Smock!!
Yeah, that´s what I thought when saying that I´d have no idea what kind of handle / space in the handle a button comp.lock requires.

So you think it IS the case that there is no way to make a "normally sized and looking" button comp.lock folder without a cutout / choil at all? This could be the only con so far with this locktype for me... other than that it sounds great. I´ve always found the comp.lock generally a really ingenious design, that in my use just has some disadvantages. I am pretty sure the latter would be resolved with the button version.

Now the Smock does have a pretty huge cutout, but also a rather narrow (like in "not tall") handle... I could imagine that with a taller handle the cutout in the blade could be less pronounced in a button comp.lock knife?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd be interested in one, as long as it doesn't have the odd-looking blade cutout that the Smock has.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:47 am
I'd be interested in one, as long as it doesn't have the odd-looking blade cutout that the Smock has.
Exactly this.

Question is: Does a knife like the Sage with its presumably a bit taller than the Smock handle and blade need the "odd looking cutout" in order to have a button comp lock, or does a :regular choil do the trick akready??

I'll have to search for pics of a disassembled Smock, or perhaps someone can share such.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... Perhaps, purely concerning the overall shape (tall handle, tall blade), a knife like the Manix could be a good choice for a button comp.lock in a knife with a "regular" choil?
After all the CBBL also requires quite some space in the handle, just like the button comp.lock probably does too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I may be overlooking something, but the Plunge Lock surely has something in common with the button compression lock, and the Autonomy doesn't have a giant scoop taken out of the blade to accomodate the button, so I don't think it's a requirement.

The scoop is there but it's hidden inside the handle. Maybe this isn't possible with a Sage but it's possible with other models and/or new models.
20211017_082037.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:25 am
I may be overlooking something, but the Plunge Lock surely has something in common with the button compression lock, and the Autonomy doesn't have a giant scoop taken out of the blade to accomodate the button, so I don't think it's a requirement.

The scoop is there but it's hidden inside the handle. Maybe this isn't possible with a Sage but it's possible with other models and/or new models.

20211017_082037.jpg

Let's do it! I love it! Can we please have this? If they keep it narrow and close to the pivot like this, it might even work with the Sage. And given that the Sage is THE platform for different lock types....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't really think it's much of an improvement but I wouldn't say no to one either
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:18 pm
I don't really think it's much of an improvement but I wouldn't say no to one either

The biggest advantage in my opinion is getting rid of the lock cutout on the spine of the handle. This makes it less likely to create a hot spot during hard use. While the lock may not be exactly the same, I can really lean on my Autonomy because the spine is smooth and wide and distributes pressure over a larger area. With other compression lock knives you get that spot with just the one liner/scale and it's so thin I always get hot spots or worse from that area.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:18 pm

The biggest advantage in my opinion is getting rid of the lock cutout on the spine of the handle. This makes it less likely to create a hot spot during hard use. While the lock may not be exactly the same, I can really lean on my Autonomy because the spine is smooth and wide and distributes pressure over a larger area. With other compression lock knives you get that spot with just the one liner/scale and it's so thin I always get hot spots or worse from that area.
Yeah I know some don't like that cutout. It's never bothered me but I get that some don't like it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!