Para 3 CPM-S45VN Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Para 3 CPM-S45VN Question

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Are all current Para 3 models shipping with S45VN? I was looking at knife center and they list them with S30V, but blade hq lists them with S45VN, but they are out of stock whereas knife center has stock available. I’d like to order a model with the S45VN, simply because I don’t have that steel yet.
Ric

Re: Para 3 CPM-S45VN Question

Post by Ric »

I am not 100% sure but this year they changed from S30V to s45.
So it depends it the stock is older or not.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The best way to know would be by calling them during the week. When I order a knife, I always do it over the phone. I’ve never had an online account with a knife dealer, nor have I ever blind ordered a knife using only my keyboard. I’ve never had any problems speaking with and ordering through a representative over the phone. That way you can ask directly which steel it really is, and make sure they know which one you want.

You can also request that before they ship the knife, to check for any possible flaws; have a pre-written list of what you do and don’t like (such as no lock rock, blade centered, good action, solid detent, edge grind, etc.).

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents worth. It’s always worked for me.

Jim
Soanso McMasters

I ordered one from DLT. I have never used them before but I’ve read they are a good outfit
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

they are phasing out the S30V version for the S45VN version. I have the uncoated already. got it from Rivers Edge Cutlery and i have a coated one in the mail from Knifejoy.

my point is, there will be more if u can't find one now but they're out there
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A bit off topic, but I have a feeling that there'll come a time soon where people will ask which dealers still have the "old" S30V versions of PM2 and Para 3 in stock... :smirk

While I personally am quite certain that I could not really tell a difference between S30V and S45VN in day to day use, it is certainly not like S45VN is objectively "better" (or "worse") than S30V, and depending on which aspects one values more, there'll of course be a good share of people who'll still slightly prefer S30V over S45VN (and vice versa of course).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

It may be possibly the model has not been updated on the site or they may still have it in the older steel version . Depending what you want best thing is to contact them . They will have the best information for you by calling or email . They have provided me great service in the past , but prefer to buy closer to my area for quicker shipping . Good luck ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Soanso McMasters

I received my two Para 3s from DLT and love them. It’s strange because for years I have found them to be unattractive knives, and then one day a few weeks back as I was knife shopping online I saw one and it all of the sudden seemed very aesthetically pleasing. I’ve now purchased six Spydercos in five different steels! I have a native with SPY 27, another Chaparral in bird’s eye maple, and a Damascus VG10 Dragonfly coming still yet, and I have a back order on a lil native that I’m excited about as I prefer smaller knives in general. I’ll be busy figuring out my faves for a while!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:20 pm
I ordered one from DLT. I have never used them before but I’ve read they are a good outfit
DLT is the only vendor I bother with anymore. Two day shipping really means two day shipping with them - it's insane.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Soanso McMasters

I noticed that on my S45VN blade the writing and maker’s mark have a sort of bluish hue whereas it isn’t really noticeable on my SPY27 blade. Differences in the properties of the metals?
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Based on current charts, S30V should hold an edge better. S45V should be more stain resistant. I have the latter on order because a good price came up but would actually have preferred the former.
Soanso McMasters

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:20 am
A bit off topic, but I have a feeling that there'll come a time soon where people will ask which dealers still have the "old" S30V versions of PM2 and Para 3 in stock... :smirk

While I personally am quite certain that I could not really tell a difference between S30V and S45VN in day to day use, it is certainly not like S45VN is objectively "better" (or "worse") than S30V, and depending on which aspects one values more, there'll of course be a good share of people who'll still slightly prefer S30V over S45VN (and vice versa of course).
I will satisfy my Spyderco S30V needs with a Lil Native as soon as they are in stock again! That’s the knife I’m currently most excited for, given my preference for small knives.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Spook410 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:51 am
Based on current charts, S30V should hold an edge better. S45V should be more stain resistant. I have the latter on order because a good price came up but would actually have preferred the former.
One additional advantage of S45VN is that it is slightly tougher than S30V (though not to the degree that S35VN is). So in theory you can sharpen an S45VN blade at a more acute angle to match or exceed the edge holding of a more obtuse S30V blade (geometry cuts, as the saying goes) without a pronounced penalty in edge stability.

By way of example, you can sharpen your S45VN Para 3 to, say, 15° per side, which will probably hold its edge just as long or even longer than an S30V blade at 17° per side. All while having a similar edge stability despite the more acute edge (because of S45VN's slightly better toughness), and the added benefit of better stain resistance.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I will satisfy my Spyderco S30V needs with a Lil Native as soon as they are in stock again! That’s the knife I’m currently most excited for, given my preference for small knives.
Can´t recall if we talked about this already, but if you like small Spydies I´d highly recommend also considering the Chaparral FRN.
Closed size just a tad longer than the Lil Native, but a slimmer, lighter carry and about 10mm more blade and edge in a thinner, slicier blade.
And the XHP steel is pretty similar to S30V in my experience when it comes to edge retention and ease of sharpening, and it is a lot more rare in Spydercos
For whatever reason I slightly prefer XHP a bit.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm
Spook410 wrote:
One additional advantage of S45VN is that it is slightly tougher than S30V (though not to the degree that S35VN is). So in theory you can sharpen an S45VN blade at a more acute angle to match or exceed the edge holding of a more obtuse S30V blade (geometry cuts, as the saying goes) without a pronounced penalty in edge stability.

By way of example, you can sharpen your S45VN Para 3 to, say, 15° per side, which will probably hold its edge just as long or even longer than an S30V blade at 17° per side. All while having a similar edge stability despite the more acute edge (because of S45VN's slightly better toughness), and the added benefit of better stain resistance.
Good point!

But as said, I think a non-steel-expert like me probably won´t feel a difference between S30V and S45VN in a folding knife in my usual day to day use... (like if I did a blind test with the two steels in two exact same models)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 pm

Good point!

But as said, I think a non-steel-expert like me probably won´t feel a difference between S30V and S45VN in a folding knife in my usual day to day use... (like if I did a blind test with the two steels in two exact same models)
Oh yeah, in actual practice I don't really notice any major differences between S30V, S45VN, and S35VN in edge holding, toughness & stain resistance. It's six of one, half a dozen of another when it comes to their properties.

Although if someone put a gun to my head, I would probably concede that S35VN doesn't hold an edge as long as S30V at the same geometry (I have Native 5s in both steels). But I use my work knives to a degree most people don't. I cut, on average, 100 linear feet of abrasive 200 lbs.-weight cardboard a day at my job & I go days or even weeks between sharpenings. So I think it's telling that the differences only become somewhat noticeable in such an extreme use case.

But for those looking to justify an S45VN or S35VN purchase to their significant other, they can always do a deep dive into Larrin's testing numbers and come up with figures to back up the argument for "one more new knife" :rofl
Last edited by zuludelta on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soanso McMasters

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Can´t recall if we talked about this already, but if you like small Spydies I´d highly recommend also considering the Chaparral FRN.
Closed size just a tad longer than the Lil Native, but a slimmer, lighter carry and about 10mm more blade and edge in a thinner, slicier blade.
And the XHP steel is pretty similar to S30V in my experience when it comes to edge retention and ease of sharpening, and it is a lot more rare in Spydercos
For whatever reason I slightly prefer XHP a bit.
The FRN Chaparral was my first Spyderco. I have a bird’s eye maple on the way!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

There are limits to the idea that a more ductile steel will hold a lower edge angle better over time than a steel with superior edge holding characteristics. Probably why I like S110V and Maxamet so much. Of course, I'm sure it becomes shades of gray in steels that are close in performance like S30V, S35V, and S45V. Probably not going to be a whole lot of real world difference. But, on paper at least, S30V holds an edge better and S35V is tougher while S45V is more stain resistant. And I just don't care much about stain resistance. So if picking a steel for a new knife, S45V would be my third choice on that list.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spook410 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:46 pm
.... Probably not going to be a whole lot of real world difference. But, on paper at least, S30V holds an edge better and S35V is tougher while S45V is more stain resistant. And I just don't care much about stain resistance. So if picking a steel for a new knife, S45V would be my third choice on that list.

This, at least in theory, would be my approach too.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

zuludelta wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm
Spook410 wrote:
.. By way of example, you can sharpen your S45VN Para 3 to, say, 15° per side, which will probably hold its edge just as long or even longer than an S30V blade at 17° per side. All while having a similar edge stability ..
But why would you sharpen S30V to 17 instead of 15 in the first place? If you sharpen S30V to the normal 15 degrees per side, are you then going to attempt a 13 degree per side for S45V to keep pace? That's not going to work out well. Not to mention that S30V is just as tough as S45V to start with.

S45V is just more stainless and I was disappointed to see Spyderco go this route with the Para 3.