An Endura/Byrd style Tanto tip release?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh1973

An Endura/Byrd style Tanto tip release?

Post by Josh1973 »

Today I was looking at the PM2 Tanto which is usually over $270. I gotta admit that design on the PM2 is nice and the Tanto tip is a lot more stronger than other designs. But the Tanto Tip seems limited to maybe 2 different knives and sprint runs.

What I would like to see for us who cannot afford or obtain sprint runs. Is to see the Endura and a Byrd line incorporate an optional Tanto style tip like on the PM2 since these knives go for $35 to $100 and are a bit more affordable.

Share your thoughts and tell me if you think this would be a good profitable move for Spyderco to offer this as an option or a waste of time? I feel like the Tanto tip by Spyderco is not offered enough in flagship models and only seems reserved for limited sprint runs meant more for collecting than EDC.
yablanowitz

Re: An Endura/Byrd style Tanto tip release?

Post by yablanowitz »

To each his own. I'm not a fan of the tanto tip myself.
FK

Post by FK »

I would immediately purchase 2-3 Endura knives.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Not a fan of tanto either, but to each his own
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

IMHO tantos often perform less than the other blade shapes Spyderco might use. Ok the tip is more "durable/tough", but I never broke any tip on my knives (even being somewhat stupid with them sometimes).
I'm more about cutting performance, and then we see hollow grinds on tantos for cutting performance, wich make the knife more fragile, doesn't it ?

However, it gets big style points, and with a deep hollow it's still cutting very very well. I just don't personnaly see the point ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like the blade shape of the Delica and Endura would work really well with tanto shapes since they already have a shallow belly anyway and we know the handles can accommodate a wharnie blade shape too. Seems like money in the bank.

Actually I'm thinking about that backwards, a tanto moved the tip up to the spine of the blade, they'd have to enclose the blade way into the handle for that. Maybe not...
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:08 pm
Seems like the blade shape of the Delica and Endura would work really well with tanto shapes since they already have a shallow belly anyway and we know the handles can accommodate a wharnie blade shape too. Seems like money in the bank.

Actually I'm thinking about that backwards, a tanto moved the tip up to the spine of the blade, they'd have to enclose the blade way into the handle for that. Maybe not...
Dammitman. You bring up a very valid point I did not consider until now. I am not a huge Tanto fan but I really love the PM2 Tanto style. I was not thinking about the tip clearance issue.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 am
IMHO tantos often perform less than the other blade shapes Spyderco might use. Ok the tip is more "durable/tough", but I never broke any tip on my knives (even being somewhat stupid with them sometimes).
I'm more about cutting performance, and then we see hollow grinds on tantos for cutting performance, wich make the knife more fragile, doesn't it ?

However, it gets big style points, and with a deep hollow it's still cutting very very well. I just don't personnaly see the point ^^
I get what you are saying. I just dig the Tanto style on the PM2 and was thinking about other options.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:08 pm

Dammitman. You bring up a very valid point I did not consider until now. I am not a huge Tanto fan but I really love the PM2 Tanto style. I was not thinking about the tip clearance issue.

It could maybe be done with the Endura 3 handle, however unlikely it may be that they'd being back that handle.

It just seems like you couldn't make much of a tanto/chisel tip and still get the tip of the blade into the handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David