New Chicago CTS-BD1N (some good, some bad)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

New Chicago CTS-BD1N (some good, some bad)

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I just received a Chicago with CTS-BD1N. There’s very little info out there on this steel so I am looking forward to further putting it through its paces. I received a large dresser today from NFM that was boxed so I took my brand new Chicago with factory edge to the cardboard. It was nice and sharp and worked through the cardboard easily as I opened the dresser and cut the cardboard down to fit the recycling bin. It was still slicing paper easily afterwards.

I then sat down on the porch and whittled an approximately 16 inch stick into nothingness and it was still slicing paper, but just a bit grabby. Still very sharp but not hair shaving sharp.

The good: I love the size and ergos. I really like small blades and have a decent amount, and none are as comfortable as this little guy. Using the finger choil gave me a four finger grip (skinny fingers). I was mightily impressed by the factory edge, the steel (in a small usage sample), and obviously the ergonomics.

The bad: The action is really poor on this guy, and I don’t know what is acceptable for a “budget” knife in this range. It has a strong detent when closed, which I like. Thing is, I’ve never had a knife with this level of detent that upon clearing the detent didn’t fling right open. On this guy, once I clear the detent it’s still very sluggish, not smooth, and lots of resistance. There’s no way you could ever flick this knife as it is. In fact, just thumb rolling it open feels like a chore.

Additionally, the liner lock bar is crazy stiff and the centering is a touch off. It could definitely use some gimping on the spine of the blade, though I didn’t feel any lack of control on the un-gimped choil.

Is this to be expected on a $60 spyderco or is the unusual? I really love the size of this thing. It disappears in the pocket and yet feels great in the hand.
Sharp Guy

Re: New Chicago CTS-BD1N (some good, some bad)

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've only handled a couple knives from the budget line (Persistence & Cat) but the action on both were pretty good. However, I'm pretty sure I had to adjust the pivot screws a little. Have you tried to adjust the pivot? It doesn't usually take much. Maybe an 1/8 - 1/2 turn of the screw? A tiny drop of oil on the detent ball doesn't usually hurt anything either
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Soanso McMasters

I have made zero adjustments as I don’t want to void my warranty should repair be indicated.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Never had a problem, and love bd1n it’s very interesting ,seems underrated :thinking
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:05 pm
I have made zero adjustments as I don’t want to void my warranty should repair be indicated.
Adjusting the pivot won't void your warranty as long as you don't damage anything. Use the proper size torx bit have at it

I've adjusted the pivot on almost every Spyderco knife I've owned
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I have a newer model Cat in BD1N and I like it very much. Part of my work carry rotation. I feel like the Cat and Chicago are two of Spyderco's somewhat hidden gems. Action and centering on mine was perfect out of the box, but action definitely got better with use. I agree with others, a little break-in and pivot adjustment, and I bet yours will be good to go. Congrats!
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

BD1N is an amazing all-around steel that I would love to see in more knives. I'd buy a BD1N Para 3 LW if it didn't only come in black.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BD1N is a good steel and is just perfect for the average knife user. I don't have a Chicago, but I have an older Cat and it is a great knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think the Teflon washers will slow things up a bit. I have the 440c version which lives with my gardening tools. I find it dulls quickly.
rwk

Post by rwk »

If you don't want to adjust the pivot, perhaps try giving a really good cleaning, adding some oil, and then working it open and closed a few hundred times while you watch TV (or some other fairly idle activity where it is safe). Give it another solid cleaning, then oil the pivot again. Sometimes it just takes a little wear in before the action becomes smooth, and a little cleaning and oil always helps too.

Adjusting the pivot is a huge help and usually doesn't take much (like a small fraction of a turn). But if you are really uncomfortable with this, definitely try what I outlined above first.

There are so many steel options out there, but I think BD1N is great.
Soanso McMasters

rwk wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:46 am
If you don't want to adjust the pivot, perhaps try giving a really good cleaning, adding some oil, and then working it open and closed a few hundred times while you watch TV (or some other fairly idle activity where it is safe). Give it another solid cleaning, then oil the pivot again. Sometimes it just takes a little wear in before the action becomes smooth, and a little cleaning and oil always helps too.

Adjusting the pivot is a huge help and usually doesn't take much (like a small fraction of a turn). But if you are really uncomfortable with this, definitely try what I outlined above first.

There are so many steel options out there, but I think BD1N is great.
What cleaning method is indicated? I cringe at the thought of getting the internals wet!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There are a lot of threads on this forum where BD1N has been tested and reviewed, just have to search for them.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

I bought a used Chicago to throw in my pocket when I have to go to, well, Chicago. Mine requires a full opening motion with the thumb to lock in place and can't be flicked or flipped open even once the detent is broken. It's not gritty at all so I assume it's working as intended. I imagine the beefy handle design and very small blade contribute to that. Sounds like yours is similar.
rwk

Post by rwk »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:29 am
What cleaning method is indicated? I cringe at the thought of getting the internals wet!
Knives can definitely get wet as long as you dry them later.

There are lots of ways to clean a pivot without water. Basically you just need to get the gunk out. Wipe it out with a towel, compressed air, maybe even WD40 if you have some around. Whatever works best for you. There are tons of fancy products out there that will help too, but I don't know if you really need them.

Good luck.
Soanso McMasters

I can say this steel sharpens very easily. Maybe five minutes with the spyderco worksharp at 40 degrees and it was hair popping sharp, much sharper than the factory edge.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

rwk wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:17 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:29 am
Knives can definitely get wet as long as you dry them later.

There are lots of ways to clean a pivot without water. Basically you just need to get the gunk out. Wipe it out with a towel, compressed air, maybe even WD40 if you have some around. Whatever works best for you. There are tons of fancy products out there that will help too, but I don't know if you really need them.

Good luck.
Don't use WD-40. It leaves residue where none is wanted and a good lube is better. (It's also good to keep things non-toxic with EDC tools that are stored next to important organs, get handled regularly, and stay with you all day.)

Water can be nicely displaced by 91% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol. If you aren't taking the knife apart to wipe down manually, you can poke a pin hole in the cap of a clean soda bottle. Then you can slowly rinse an action with a small but steady stream. Just in case it isn't obvious, do this outside and wear eye protection when squirting any solvent! (Also, don't do this if you have wood scales. In my experience, isopropanol is safe for FRN, G-10, Micarta, and metals.)

This can help to remove debris and may dissolve away other undesirable substances. You can actually pre-wash with water, dish soap, and an old tooth brush if your knife is very dirty. Then just towel dry before proceeding. The concentrated alcohol will dissolve trapped water and carry it away as it quickly evaporates. You can further speed up the alcohol evaporation with compressed air or a can of Dust-off. (Just watch the temperature if using Dust-off as it can get very cold and promote condensation.) Be sure to drop in some good lubrication once totally dry because it will be thirsty for fresh oil.