More Bolt-action locks please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
5-by-5

More Bolt-action locks please

Post by 5-by-5 »

Best Sage

Way under rated.
JRinFL

Re: More Bolt-action locks please

Post by JRinFL »

Agreed! The bolt-action lock when done properly as Spyderco does them is a very smooth and reliable lock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm a fan of the bolt-action lock. Just wondering if it can be made with a more favorable edge to handle configuration and no choil and less tall than the CBBL.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I dunno. I like my Sage 3, but I'm overly cautious about getting it wet or too dirty because of the perceived difficulty of disassembling it for maintenance.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:31 pm
I'm a fan of the bolt-action lock. Just wondering if it can be made with a more favorable edge to handle configuration and no choil and less tall than the CBBL.
How dissimilar is the bolt action to the CBBL? It is odd that there are not more bolt action or CBBL models.

And speaking of edge to handle, I have recently been envisioning the Manix with no choil and the first bump at the back of the current choil being pushed up to the blade edge. Like meeting in the middle of the choil with that first bump and the back of the edge. What a cool knife that would be.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JMM

Post by JMM »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:45 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
How dissimilar is the bolt action to the CBBL? It is odd that there are not more bolt action or CBBL models.

And speaking of edge to handle, I have recently been envisioning the Manix with no choil and the first bump at the back of the current choil being pushed up to the blade edge. Like meeting in the middle of the choil with that first bump and the back of the edge. What a cool knife that would be.

Here is the actual patent (with great mechanical diagrams) that breaks it down. It's my favourite Spyderco lock, it's incredibly strong and once broken in a bit you can use the traditional 'pinch' or use a single finger to operate it. I really hope we see more of it in the future beyond the two models we have now...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5111581A/en
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

skeeg11 wrote:

Here is the actual patent (with great mechanical diagrams) that breaks it down. It's my favourite Spyderco lock, it's incredibly strong and once broken in a bit you can use the traditional 'pinch' or use a single finger to operate it. I really hope we see more of it in the future beyond the two models we have now...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5111581A/en
Thanks! I can see how that may lend itself to a thinner design. These are great locks. I am more confused as to why there are not more of them.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like them as well! More please.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would imagine this lock could be paired with a design like the Rock Jumper, and the hidden ricasso can act as a kick to stop against the lock mechanism, or even use an internal stop pin design. I do wonder about wear over time, seems like the CBBL has an advantage with wear and probably overall strength with the exception of the ball cage potentially failing vs no cage or other plastic bits in the bolt action lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think part of the reason we might not see more models with the B-A lock (or CBBL) is because the lock requires the blade and handle to be a little taller than other lock systems. So my guess it you have basically have to design the knife around the lock. If you compare the Sage 3 with the other Sage models it's a little taller and, IIRC, it's because of the lock. Not a show stopper for me. I like the Sage 3 but it is kind of tall for the length and I find myself carrying other Sage models much more often than the Sage 3. Maybe a new design that's a little longer might suit the lock better?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's the only lock other than the midlock that I'd even consider carrying on a regular basis. I'll just add that, having played with the axis lock counterfeit version, I'd be very interested in a bolt action lock version of the Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m in!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 am
I'd be very interested in a bolt action lock version of the Stretch.
Bolt action stretch would be an instant buy for me. Even better if it was straight spine and K390.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:02 pm
I dunno. I like my Sage 3, but I'm overly cautious about getting it wet or too dirty because of the perceived difficulty of disassembling it for maintenance.
I have a first run Gerber Bolt Action that was my work knife for years. It never got disassembled. The only cleaning it got was being held under a faucet to flush the dirt, sand and mud out of it. It still locks up tight and works smoothly.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I really enjoy the Blackie Collins homage in my smurf-blue Sage3, and in the related BBLs of my Tusk, Dodo, and D’Allara3, and in the related CBBLs of my numerous Manix2s.

Solid lock-up, positive-close, ambidextrous. What’s not to like?

I’m disinclined to ask that a variation of this lock be put in existing models (thus making them different models) but I’ll gladly consider any new model that incorporates even the Sage3’s spare version.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am
mikey177 wrote:
I have a first run Gerber Bolt Action that was my work knife for years. It never got disassembled. The only cleaning it got was being held under a faucet to flush the dirt, sand and mud out of it. It still locks up tight and works smoothly.
That's good to know. Thanks for the new insight into the longevity of this locking mechanism.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The extra height and week detent seemed to be the most common criticisms when the Sage 3 was current (although nowadays I’m more skeptical of Internet nit-picking).

I am intrigued to hear more real-life owners experiences on this one.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Put that thing in the Shaman.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

mikey177 wrote:
"Disassembling for maintenance" is IMO something created by YouTube influencers as some kind of necessity, which is a pile of bull. It's not a gun. I have knives that are 100 years + old and Spydies from the early 90's that work as well as when new, only smoother now that have never been disassembled.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 am
mikey177 wrote:
"Disassembling for maintenance" is IMO something created by YouTube influencers as some kind of necessity, which is a pile of bull. It's not a gun. I have knives that are 100 years + old and Spydies from the early 90's that work as well as when new, only smoother now that have never been disassembled.
I only disassemble folders when there is too much foreign matter that works its way into the pivot area, as when I am working in the backyard.

I typically use a Salt folder on such occasions. I've tried cleaning my knives using only soap and water, but this method still leaves organic residue in hard to reach places, which is why I prefer the option of being able to take them apart.

Sometimes though, I have to use whichever knife I am carrying for the day, instead of running back to the house to get a Salt knife.

Hence my concern if that knife happens to be the Sage 3, mainly because its innards seem difficult to take apart. It uses pinned internal liners, and I have never found complete disassembly instructions for it.

if I get that bolt lock spring wet, will it not rust over time if not dried out properly?
Attachments
sage_3_bolt_action_lock.jpg