More Bolt-action locks please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: More Bolt-action locks please

Post by nerdlock »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 am
mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:02 pm
I dunno. I like my Sage 3, but I'm overly cautious about getting it wet or too dirty because of the perceived difficulty of disassembling it for maintenance.
"Disassembling for maintenance" is IMO something created by YouTube influencers as some kind of necessity, which is a pile of bull. It's not a gun. I have knives that are 100 years + old and Spydies from the early 90's that work as well as when new, only smoother now that have never been disassembled.

It's only a pile of bull, until you try living in the extreme humidity of the near-equatorial tropics, year-round.
☺️

edit: added a photo of rusted liners literally only a few days after receiving it new, all the way from Golden to here. The knife still had factory oil on the metal parts which I did not wipe completely upon receiving it.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:29 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
mikey177 wrote:
I dunno. I like my Sage 3, but I'm overly cautious about getting it wet or too dirty because of the perceived difficulty of disassembling it for maintenance.
"Disassembling for maintenance" is IMO something created by YouTube influencers as some kind of necessity, which is a pile of bull. It's not a gun. I have knives that are 100 years + old and Spydies from the early 90's that work as well as when new, only smoother now that have never been disassembled.

if I get that bolt lock spring wet, will it not rust over time if not dried out properly?
It probably will. But squirt some penetrating oil or some Corrosion-X in there every once in while, blow it out with some canned air, and you're gold.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18 am
mikey177 wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
mikey177 wrote:

if I get that bolt lock spring wet, will it not rust over time if not dried out properly?
It probably will. But squirt some penetrating oil or some Corrosion-X in there every once in while, blow it out with some canned air, and you're gold.
Haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can't tell about living near the equator, i have to confess. :) Then again, when i was shooting my Remington blackpowder revolver i rinsed it in dishwashing soap and water, sprayed it with WD 40 and put it to dry on the radiator with no apparent ill effects.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

mikey177 wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
mikey177 wrote:
I only disassemble folders when there is too much foreign matter that works its way into the pivot area, as when I am working in the backyard.

I typically use a Salt folder on such occasions. I've tried cleaning my knives using only soap and water, but this method still leaves organic residue in hard to reach places, which is why I prefer the option of being able to take them apart.

Sometimes though, I have to use whichever knife I am carrying for the day, instead of running back to the house to get a Salt knife.

Hence my concern if that knife happens to be the Sage 3, mainly because its innards seem difficult to take apart. It uses pinned internal liners, and I have never found complete disassembly instructions for it.

Nice picture, now I want one, but I see why Spyderco isn't pushing that lock type. Looks like a substantial amount of important tolerances and machine work in there, I would also be concerned about making sure water doesn't get stuck in the spring pocket.