The joy of a near perfect specimen

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: The joy of a near perfect specimen

Post by TkoK83Spy »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm
Is this a thing with the G10 Manix in general? I only have one, and it is perfection.

I have perfect specimens of other models, but interesting the Manix is mentioned, as it has been my EDC for couple of weeks. Bit unusual for me.

Waiting for the next perfect one.
I believe it is with the Manix. At one point in time I had 6 different G10 Manix's...I think that's because each one I got became "the best Manix ever" haha!

For me, I'm not one of these people that obsesses over action and "flickiness" determining if a knife is perfect or not. Very minor trait in my eyes and tends to burn holes in my eyes when I read the stupid word, though is nice when it's not gritty and is smooth, as every G10 Manix has been for me.

Compared to the LW model, I just really appreciate that solid feel in hand while using it, not that an LW is going to break...just a different feel that I appreciate a lot more. I also prefer the weight of the knife to be heavier at the handle than the blade or even a perfect balance. The standard spoon clip is also better and more durable in my eyes than the wire clip, so another point for the G10 model.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I had one of those Knifeworks exclusive Military’s with carbon fiber/titanium/S90V — utterly flawless with perfect centering, lockup right where I like it and action I couldn’t even nitpick. Easily my biggest regret selling! Think I sold it for like $160? Makes me sick just thinking about it.

I have a handful of excellent Spydies right now, including a k390 Endela, but it’s the Spy27 Native in my pocket that wears the crown. No lock-rock, action is tight with no gaps but still drops shut, and the all important perfect centering. Another thread talking about motorcycle carry convinced me to carry it more on the bike and that’s exactly what I did today!

Edit: My k390 Endela might have the single best factory edge I’ve seen on any production knife. I actually bought it second hand and had to asked the guy if he tuned up the edge; he didn’t and even admitted to some light cutting. Crazy how even those bevels are, someone obviously cared about the quality of their work.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 am
Edit: My k390 Endela might have the single best factory edge I’ve seen on any production knife. I actually bought it second hand and had to asked the guy if he tuned up the edge; he didn’t and even admitted to some light cutting. Crazy how even those bevels are, someone obviously cared about the quality of their work.
That was the other thing about my endela. It came with a killer factory edge. I don’t even care about sharpness so much, myself…but evenness is really nice, especially with a steel like k390 where grinding, etc. can be a bit of a chore
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My new dlt endela (black blade) is almost perfect. Great action, great edge (almost even bevels, good geometry) and SHARP! So sharp. A little off center but oh well. Love the thing, love my other dlt endela, and the vg10 endela. And my K390 Endura is pretty much perfect as well... The Seki knives are awesome!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Well said. This is pretty much how I feel as well after handing so many of the same model or similar knives... Perfection does not go unappreciated! All the little things add up.
FK

Post by FK »

I normally do not pay attention to factory sharp when opening a new box.
My recent Endura and Delica knives with K390 and CPM-20CV have been outstanding.
Very even final bevel and crisp clean apex,,,, do not need stropping with diamonds to clean up any burrs or imperfections.
Seki City is excellent with quality control.

Regards,
FK