The joy of a near perfect specimen

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

The joy of a near perfect specimen

Post by Manifestgtr »

I grabbed my endela today and I’ve just been studying its perfection on my work break:
1DBA2B8D-E3BC-40BC-AE7E-B48DA92DD086.jpeg
64280538-2749-4168-8413-33B514C97510.jpeg
It operates easily, smoothly, with a buttery lock disengagement and not a hint of play, shred of daylight between the scales…dead on centering.

Centering and minor tolerance issues don’t bother me…but PERFECTION is also really satisfying when you’re lucky enough to experience it.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
JonLeBlanc

Re: The joy of a near perfect specimen

Post by JonLeBlanc »

K390 variant?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm
K390 variant?

Yessiree, slowly becoming my favorite steel in spite of my resistance…
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Very nice! Congrats!!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

And such a nice size. :grin-smiling-eyes
z1r

Post by z1r »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:05 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm
K390 variant?

Yessiree, slowly becoming my favorite steel in spite of my resistance…
I know that feeling. I feel better knowing that, while ZDP is being phased out, K390 will be there to take its place.

My first K390 purchase was an Endela, and like the OP's, it was PERFECT. Blade centered, great action, no slop, slicey edge, etc. I carried it for a week or two until I visited the SFO and came upon an open box K390 Endela. This one's blade wasn't centered, but I figured you can usually correct that, and the action wasn't quite as smooth, but, given how much I loved my first one, I took it home with me, the price being too good to resist! Got it home, gave it some attention and it still isn't "perfect", but guess which one I carry every day? I guess in my mind, knowing it isn't perfect, at least in condition, allows me to use it like it is meant to be used.
benben

Post by benben »

My K390 Endela is in my pocket today, and everyday for the last two+ months. Still makes me scratch my head when I see these in stock online….like why aren’t these on backorder and out of stock at every online vendor in America?

I’m definitely going to get the serrated version, but I wouldn’t change a thing about the PE version that’s in my pocket now!
z1r

Post by z1r »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:47 am
My K390 Endela is in my pocket today, and everyday for the last two+ months. Still makes me scratch my head when I see these in stock online….like why aren’t these on backorder and out of stock at every online vendor in America?

I’m definitely going to get the serrated version, but I wouldn’t change a thing about the PE version that’s in my pocket now!
I think maybe because it isn't "sexy". I wonder the same thing though. All this taking about how great the K390 Endela is, just makes me want to buy another! It and my ZDP DF2 are the two knives I carry every day and wouldn't trade for anything.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:47 am

I think the PE Endela in K390 and the SE in VG10 would make a perfect pair!
Though I assume you'll get SE also in K390, right? I hope (but am pretty sure anyway) it will have the exact same great type of serrations as the VG10 one offers.

/ There's really only one thing I don't care too much for on the Endela: The relatively short cutting edge (a tad more than a Manix).
If they'd make the blade handle filling, so let's say 6 to 7 mm longer: This could easily be my absolute favorite folder, since everything else is perfect: For me great ergos in a slim and light package (WITH liners close to a Manix 2 LW in "lightness"), very good blade shape, sturdy backlock , a handle with a lot of space to work with but not TOO long in pocket, the most harmonic proportions of all the "Endura family members" for me and as said: The Endela serrations make for an ultra-amazing cutter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Had the same experience with my new Manix 2 M390. Actually looked it over with a magnifying glass when I received. Perfect in every way, like it was constructed by the gods. Action is smooth as glass, fit and finish is impeccable.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Same with my Maxamet Para 3, best action on a Para 3 yet, fit and finish top notch, peerfect centering, and cherry on top : really really good factory edge.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:16 pm
Had the same experience with my new Manix 2 M390. Actually looked it over with a magnifying glass when I received. Perfect in every way, like it was constructed by the gods. Action is smooth as glass, fit and finish is impeccable.
Mine is similar…and I’ve actually seen a couple other guys with really high level M390 Manixes. Sometimes when a pattern like that emerges, it makes me wonder if certain runs are really inspected closely. Obviously, it’s not economically viable to do it for every model, every individual…but I wonder if it happens here and there.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Is this a thing with the G10 Manix in general? I only have one, and it is perfection.

I have perfect specimens of other models, but interesting the Manix is mentioned, as it has been my EDC for couple of weeks. Bit unusual for me.

Waiting for the next perfect one.
Peter
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm
Is this a thing with the G10 Manix in general? I only have one, and it is perfection.

I have perfect specimens of other models, but interesting the Manix is mentioned, as it has been my EDC for couple of weeks. Bit unusual for me.

Funny you'd say this, perhaps the most perfect knife concerning fit and finish I ever got is my Manix 2 lightweight in REX45VN...

Though concerning the lightweight Manix one has to get lucky I guess. There seems to be a lot of variance especially concerning action.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know about joy, but it's certainly a relief. Lots of fit and finish issues are a little trivial to me but I won't lie and say it isn't really nice to get one that I can't find a flaw with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FK

Post by FK »

The Seki City products have been consistently great for my purchases.
With the K390 and new CPM-20CV releases,, both Delica and Endura are close to perfect.
Q.C. is outstanding.

Regards,
FK
benben

Post by benben »

I know I was bragging on my K390 Endela above, and it's great, but since we're talking about perfect knives.....

My plain Jane S30V Yojimbo and my old saber grind 154CM Manix are both in a word, perfect! Fit, finish, and action are superb! And I know when I talk about the action of these two, it's 100% because of those heavy blades!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Hard not to appreciate quality at its highest level.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
z1r

Post by z1r »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Funny you should mention that. Perhaps the knife that has impressed me teh most is my standard G10 M2. The action is so amazing, perf=haps too good even. My G10 Rex 45 M2 is a little less "flicky" but perfect for my tastes. Both are flawless from my perspective. My lightweight 20CV M2 is also a wonderful knife. The least fidgety of the bunch but a joy to carry. No flaws that I can detect.

My CF Chap is another that is flawless and performs well above its fighting weight.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Here just a short time ago I finally semi-retired my M390 Military model which had been my main EDC for close to 5 years. With all the recent talk about the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run on the horizon I got out one of my 2011 Sprint Run, C-60 Ayoob models and started EDCing it.

Even though the C-60 Ayoob only has VG-10 blade steel it has become an awesome EDC folder and I've really enjoyed the switch of my main EDC folder. When they made the Ayoob model with a G-10 handle it was literally perfected IMO.