Should Zome be Discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should Zome be Discontinued?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 114

Naperville

Re: Should Zome be Discontinued?

Post by Naperville »

I'd like to see some forest green zome handles on fixed blades. Why do folders get all the action?

How about some Fred Perrin designed Street fixed blades with forest green zome handles? How about forest green zome blades too?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

I personally have zero interest in tool steel Spydercos. But that doesn't mean I'd want them to be discontinued, because many other people DO like them.

The same with Zome. I may not be interested, but others love it.

Instead of focusing on wanting anything discontinued, I prefer to concentrate on the knives I DO like, and the types of knives I'd like to see Spyderco make.

Jim
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

Some of the color schemes in zome look better than others. I have one of the DLT Endelas in the red and black zome, I actually rather like it, it's whimsical and different.

The desert camo scheme looks... okay. I am a silly enough person I like the glow in the dark zome, but they haven't put it on a knife I want, like I'd love a GItD Zome Stretch in say 20CV.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like the orange and black zome. I’d like to see a red zome ladybug. Otherwise I’m uninterested, but I can say the same for well over half of Spyderco’s catalog.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

To me, the Zome concept is kind is similar to artificial fishing lures. Some lures look unappealing, but the fish go crazy for them. I guess you'll never know unless you put it out there and see how the “fish” respond.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Nope.
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:55 pm
Really not a Zome fan, but somehow I couldn't resist the "ugly" ones :D

lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Lets look at the zome models. There are a number that are in the Spyderco production line that they decide to keep making according to sales numbers. Then there are the the dealer specials that are ordered by them according to their expected model sales and past model sales.
With this in mind what does how we feel have to do with the continued production of zome models? It is all about what the knife buying public (which we are but a small part) wants and sales of the zome models.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see what Spyderco would do with a Zome Salt.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
z1r

Post by z1r »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 pm
Nope.
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:55 pm
Really not a Zome fan, but somehow I couldn't resist the "ugly" ones :D

I really like that yellow/green one. Would love to add one to my collection.

While I'm not a super big fan of Zome, one thing I do like is that no two knives are the same. The pattern variation is cool.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Time for 3 color zome! I need a red, white and blue knife for July.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
sakana-sensei

Post by sakana-sensei »

Please don't discontinue until I get my baby pink on white Spring Cherry Blossom Collection (TM) edition.

Thank you.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Snacktime wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:27 pm
Time for 3 color zome! I need a red, white and blue knife for July.
:O

I would definitely buy one.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Somehow I get the feeling that three colors will be considerably harder to deal with than two. Nice thought but good luck getting red, white, and blue.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Definitely time to cancel culture Zome.... except for black and neon green Zome which shall be retained and renamed Zombe.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Of course Spyderco makes their own decisions with regard to colors, etc. And yet… you can see it happening. Spyderco exclusives and sprint runs usually sell out in minutes or hours. The zome models sell out in days or weeks, if at all. You would think a 20cv Delica would vanish in a flash, but IIRC the dlttrading.com exclusive took several weeks to sell out. And yes, some people like zome… but I’ve never met them.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

To me zome is kind of like broccoli, I can take it or I can leave it depending on the day.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:30 am
You would think a 20cv Delica would vanish in a flash, but IIRC the dlttrading.com exclusive took several weeks to sell out.
The M390 Delica in a plain, navy blue handle was $109 when it dropped and stayed around for quite a while at that price, and it's still around albeit at $145 (because BBS, I guess?).

It wasn't that long ago that people were amazed that KW sold an 800-unit preorder for the 204p/green PM2 in a little under a week, so I'm not convinced that exclusives not selling out in a half hour suddenly makes them not worth it for dealers.

(And by "wasn't that long ago" I just checked the receipt, and it was an early 2012 order that shipped in 2013. Is this what getting old feels like?)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:30 am
Of course Spyderco makes their own decisions with regard to colors, etc. And yet… you can see it happening. Spyderco exclusives and sprint runs usually sell out in minutes or hours. The zome models sell out in days or weeks, if at all. You would think a 20cv Delica would vanish in a flash, but IIRC the dlttrading.com exclusive took several weeks to sell out. And yes, some people like zome… but I’ve never met them.
Frn exclusives rarely sell out as quickly as more "premium" handle materials. I don't think the zome enters into it that much. Even the para3 lightweight in m4 hung around for weeks. The g10/m4 para 3 took how long to sell out, minutes?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The things that sell out in less than a day are those that have serious collector interest, and by extension these are the things the flippers target. A more relevant metric would be how long does it take to sell any other comparably priced knife order? We don’t know the order volume for case trappers, but they’re almost always in stock in great variety. It’s tough to sell what you don’t have. Would a dealer not be interested in having their exclusive around and in stock for a while?

I’m sure none are said that they get the profit return on 1200 $200 knives in a single day, but nothing else moves like that and to compare the rest of the inventory to this fluke is not realistic.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Bring back the pink and purple Delica with S30v please.