Should Zome be Discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should Zome be Discontinued?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 114

brancron

Re: Should Zome be Discontinued?

Post by brancron »

I've never been drawn to Zome, but in my opinion, the more Enduras/Endelas/Delicas/Dragonflys the better, regardless of handle color.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 am
I really don't like zome. But why would I want something discontinued that many people enjoy? I get no joy from depriving others from something that brings them joy, even if I do not personally like it.

Getting a strong "stop liking what I don't like" vibe here.
Probably more of a "I wish they'd start making the knives I'm interested in" vibe. I prefer the pattern in my 20CV DF2 to that in my 20CV Endela, but I figured at the price I paid for that Endela, I'm not too concerned. If we were talking a $200 price point, I wouldn't have purchased. I tend to make purchases based 1st on the model, then on the steel, lastly on price. I'll admit that occasionally I succumb and buy solely based on looks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No, at least not until I get my flippin red/black Ladybug.

Otherwise yeah to be honest it's not for me. But also, handle color alone isn't enough for me to suddenly want to buy any of the models it has been offered in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phaust

Post by phaust »

I assume they would choose to stop if it wasn't selling. If it's selling, keep it. Something different is neat.

That said, it looks like a kindergartener's watercolor painting to me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tough crowd. Sheeesh. I'll end with this then see myself out from this thread. :rofl

The recent Zome Endela TiCN 20CV exclusive still has over 600 in stock. 663 to be exact. That is $78,897 worth of inventory that DLT is sitting on in ONE SKU. There wasn't even a thread dedicated to this model. I was one of the only people to comment that I bought one (yes, I have purchased 3 of the DLT zome models even though I really don't care for it. i'm also still planning on buying the zome gitd ticn delica and endura). No one bumped the original Zome Endela thread in the hours before the drop in anticipation. In short, no one cared and most comments I have seen about this family of exclusives were from people who passed because of the Zome or bought it for the model/steel despite their distaste for Zome. All of this is in addition to 339 remaining of the satin blade Zome Endelas ($36,781.50 of unsold inventory). So over $115K of unsold Zome inventory between the two blade finishes in a single model. This is unheard of in the Spyderco exclusive world. DLT should be able to weather this as a large dealer, but a smaller dealer could face some struggles having that much money tied up in a single model. This is also a lot of knives that people don't want during a time new knives are trickling out at a much slower pace. It just to me doesn't sound like a great business decision to keep pumping out knives that have shown to be slow sellers during times of limited capacity. I get that Spyderco has already been paid for them and it is DLT's problem, but let's say it was a smaller dealer, then it becomes a problem for Spyderco when the dealer doesn't have fresh funds to pump into future exclusives because they have $100K in one model in their back room.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:39 am
No, at least not until I get my flippin red/black Ladybug.

Ditto! :winking-tongue
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

No. I really like the red & black DLT as well as a green zome Endura that I have. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Pretty simple. 😊
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nope. The first zome I bought was the 20cv endela. I just now ordered the coated version, so I'll have both. I like the zome personally. I think the blacked out version looks amazing. Looking forward to getting it!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I mean, I just voted no because I like the Zome patterns. That said, it is just a color option. Discontinuing all Zome patterns because one specific version, the red/black 20cv, hasn’t sold out is like discontinuing all non-black colors because they don’t sell as well.

Rather than officially discontinue them, the answer is probably to make less in a batch or space out Zome model releases, or both. Just like how fewer models are released in different colors already.

I do also have the, somewhat of a long shot, selfish wish for a climbing wall themed Zome Rockjumper and maybe a tree themed “Leafjumper” for the fun of it!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
anycal

Post by anycal »

ZOME is not for me, but I did have a cauliflower crust pizza with lactose couple days ago, and enjoyed it.

I bought ZOME Endura, but mainly for the steel. And although it was pretty cool at first, I kept the blade, and gifted the bastardized orange ZOME VG10 Endura.
Peter
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am
From what I have observed, I get a sense that it really hinders sales of exclusives that feature Zome.
I don't really have the data to know how Zome finishes affect sales, and it's not really any of my business. However, I can assure you that you'll never see me carrying a Zome knife. They remind me of an amateur rattle-can camo job on a rifle. But if other folks go nuts for them, that's great. Maybe they'll spend all their cash on Zomes and won't have any left over to snap up the knives that I want.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I personally don’t like it.

BUT, if the first Magnacut Model was only available in Zome I think everyone, including myself, would change their tune.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Zome is great, but it has kind of devolved into polka dots. I would like to see MORE zome, LESS polka dots,.. and I would love to see some 3 or 4 color Zome patterns... A 5 or 6 color Zome pattern would look AWESOME!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't particularly like it, but i also have been advocating for a ladybug ladybug for a long time now and really want one. i also love it on my damascus delica. the whole thing has a stone look to it that i think is cool. Image

i also agree with everyone else that said it's up to spyderco to decide if it's financially viable. maybe some exclusives are taking a little extra time to sell, but that's also typically true of the seki models to begin with.

steel is more often the deciding factor for me to buy a knife or not. if i cares about color, i would've passed on my favorite pocket knives; the manix 2 lw in xhp (hershey chocolate brown) and the caribbean (awful bumblebee scales). the scales on both of these knives grew on me after i had them in hand and realized how much i like them functionally.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not sure why zome gets so much hate here. I like how it looks. Been hoping for some sort of zome Police.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

NOT UNTIL THE RED/BLACK TiCN LADYBUG GETS OUT!!!

:zany :winking-tongue :squinting-tongue :bug-red-white :bug-red-white
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
PStone

Post by PStone »

I voted no. I actually hope for MORE. With colors like the early ones. I missed out on the pink/purple delica as well as that cool toxic green/yellow one.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:46 am
The recent Zome Endela TiCN 20CV exclusive still has over 600 in stock. 663 to be exact. That is $78,897 worth of inventory that DLT is sitting on in ONE SKU.

There have been many Exclusives/Sprints this year (49) and even the ever popular ParaMilitary2 & Para3 ones that are still in stock!

So, I wouldn't blame FRN or Zome for slow sales but perhaps overall Exclusives/Sprints fatigue!

Personally, Zome FRN is not for me since I find it aesthetically displeasing!
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

At first I didn’t really get where Spyderco was coming from with Zome . I have slowly warmed up to it. I have two exclusive models from DLT and I really like the colors. Zome may not not be for some but there are other options . Nothing wrong with variety . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So, an instant sell out is the only measure of sales success? If that’s true, then all of the non-sprint and non-exclusive models are failures?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001