Should Zome be Discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 114

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

It seems like most people are not a fan of Zome. From what I have observed, I get a sense that it really hinders sales of exclusives that feature Zome. Perhaps it is time to cancel Zome so it doesn't negatively impact sales of future exclusives. Thoughts?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cycleguy

Re: Should Zome be Discontinued?

Post by cycleguy »

Huh? No! I know some don't like it but that goes for everything.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If Spyderco really thought it didn't sell well, they'll make that decision. Plus I'm pretty sure dealers chose zome

Might not be popular in these circles, but people do like decorated knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What I think is that the Zome should be done in a tiger stripe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

No way ! Where did you get the idea that ''most people are not a fan of zome'' ?!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think Zome is butt ugly. Still, unless Spyderco is forcing folks wanting to commission an exclusive to use it, which I strongly doubt, it's not really their decision to make.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sure, they should discontinue it just because I don’t like it.

I assume they know their business better than we do. If they aren’t selling then they will stop. If I like it or not doesn’t really matter. Spyderco does lots of things I don’t really understand but I assume those decisions are catering to people other than myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:19 am
I think Zome is butt ugly. Still, unless Spyderco is forcing folks wanting to commission an exclusive to use it, which I strongly doubt, it's not really their decision to make.

It absolutely is. Spyderco sets the rules for their exclusives. I have talked to a few dealers and Spyderco rejects a lot of their submissions for various reasons. Spyderco could easily say they will no longer be producing Zome models. It reflects poorly on Spyderco when a dealer puts out an exclusive that doesn't sell and/or gets a lukewarm reception.

I would hope that when a dealer requests an exclusive with a feature that may not be popular (zome, smooth G10, saber grinds, base steels like VG10 or S30V, plain black scales, etc) or may add significant expensive (like carbon fiber/G10 on Seki models) that Spyderco gives them guidance that this model may not sell as well due to these features.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

I have 20CV Dragonfly with black and red zome and I love it
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I voted "No," because I don't like Zome, and having exclusives that come out in this pattern means I save more money :smlling-eyes
z1r

Post by z1r »

If it didn't sell, retailers would not be commissioning Zome Exclusives. Whether I like it or not, is immaterial, as long as enough others buy them.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Why should it be up to us to decide? I'm pretty sure Spyderco uses sales numbers to decide whether or not to discontinue something. I don't necessarily like the Zome patterns but I'd never ask for something to be discontinued just because I don't like it. Kind of self-centered IMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:17 am
Why should it be up to us to decide? I'm pretty sure Spyderco uses sales numbers to decide whether or not to discontinue something. I don't necessarily like the Zome patterns but I'd never ask for something to be discontinued just because I don't like it. Kind of self-centered IMO
Agreed.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I really don't like zome. But why would I want something discontinued that many people enjoy? I get no joy from depriving others from something that brings them joy, even if I do not personally like it.

Getting a strong "stop liking what I don't like" vibe here.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted no because it's just a color.

One thing I really like about ZOME is the permanence of the color. Compared to a DIY RIT job, the color doesn't seem to fade anything like a DIY RIT dye usually does. I'm averse to faded RIT Dyed handles.

The ZOME patterns to this point have all seemed relatively random. I don't know if that is just a result of the actual process or not but making a ZOME handle with a distinct intentional pattern could be really cool, in my opinion.

Something like a color fade would be awesome! A ZOME red to yellow "tequila sunrise" fade or a Navy blue to sky blue ocean fade would be so cool! Doc Dan suggested a tiger striped ZOME pattern which is another good example of an intentional ZOME pattern that could be cool to see.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean all the other weirdos out there can't like it haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am
Thoughts?
Most people are unable to digest lactose. Should stores stop selling milk? Let's take a poll....
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Not a fan of zome scales, and I do not like cauliflower either! Does not mean that these things should not be available for other to enjoy
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I like Zome. I don't buy as many knives as the rest of the people on this forum, but the only exclusive I own has a Zome handle. Handle swaps are possible if you don't like the one it comes with.

There are alot of knives I have no interest in, but I'm not calling for their discontinuation just because I don't like them. Not every exclusive should be catered to my preferences. There's room for us all in the Spyderco brand 😁
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Only Spyderco’s sales data can show whether Zome has enough interest. I’m not among the interested.

Didn’t vote because the decision is strictly Spyderco’s.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”