endela scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

endela scales

Post by sethwm »

Anyone know where to get some endela scales? Thinking ti or micarta. Some googling turned up empty. Just got my 20cv with the “dye me black please” red zome. Rit is on the way but thinking it might look good with something more exotic.
steelcity16

Re: endela scales

Post by steelcity16 »

Not sure on the scales but I feel ya on the zome. It is an abomination. I don't know why it is even still a thing. Time to cancel zome.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Suingab makes micarta scales for the Endela, though I haven't sampled his work yet.

His website is https://g10.lt/
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:56 am
Suingab makes micarta scales for the Endela, though I haven't sampled his work yet.

I have and it’s exceptional. Just as nice as it looks and (at least with my police 4), he included a backspacer.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ That's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

mikey177 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I kicked off a discussion with him. Super responsive. Will post back here in a couple weeks with photos.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome.

I look forward to seeing your photos.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Yes! Knife Custom Garage on Etsy does fantastic work: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KnifeCustomGarage

I purchased some natural micarta Endura scales from them and the fit and finish is perfect (I've purchased many scales from many makers). Here's a quick pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUh8ZLoFAoj/

The Knife Custom Garage ones take a little while to get to the states (they're based in Russia), but it's worth the wait and the quality is excellent, especially for the price.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

G10 scales finally arrived.

The posts in the backspacer weren't super precise, and I had a world of trouble getting this to fit together (the lock bar spring kept torquing the backspacer such that the liners wouldn't line up. But finally got it on there. feels really nice.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

sethwm wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:07 pm

The posts in the backspacer weren't super precise, and I had a world of trouble getting this to fit together (the lock bar spring kept torquing the backspacer such that the liners wouldn't line up. But finally got it on there. feels really nice.
Looks good! Hoping for more aftermarket scales for the Endela in the future. I know I'd carry mine more often once there are some options out there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:06 am
mikey177 wrote:

I have and it’s exceptional. Just as nice as it looks and (at least with my police 4), he included a backspacer.
I have several sets of his scales, all are 100% as good as OEM fit and finish-wise

Ironwood Endela

Burlap micarta Endura

Linen bone micarta Delica Supergold

Gayle Bradley 2 canvas micarta

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

sethwm wrote:

Those scales look good.

I've found that putting the Endela together like a Sebenza is easier. That is, put together the scales and all internal parts, but do not install the blade. Keep the body scales a bit loose so you can slide the blade and washers in from the front afterward.

Nick Shabazz has a video that shows this, but with a Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:

Looks great!
... but also like Micarta to me...?!

EDIT: Ah, I guess the maker calls himself "g10.lt"...
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:28 pm
Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:06 am
mikey177 wrote:

I have several sets of his scales, all are 100% as good as OEM fit and finish-wise

Ironwood Endela

Burlap micarta Endura

Linen bone micarta Delica Supergold

Gayle Bradley 2 canvas micarta

That Endela is stunning, man…this is the police 4 with his scales
C316614E-3546-4F89-A156-23B3A0707F17.jpeg
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:20 pm
sethwm wrote:

Those scales look good.

I've found that putting the Endela together like a Sebenza is easier. That is, put together the scales and all internal parts, but do not install the blade. Keep the body scales a bit loose so you can slide the blade and washers in from the front afterward.

I tried that but the washers kept getting pushed off.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:38 am

Looks great!
... but also like Micarta to me...?!

EDIT: Ah, I guess the maker calls himself "g10.lt"...
Funny, it didn't even occur to me that that would be confusing. But yeah, "my G10.lt scales arraived"
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:33 pm

I tried that but the washers kept getting pushed off.

Yes, that happened to me too. When the blade and washers are more or less inside the handle, I align the washers using a small screwdriver before fully inserting the pivot. Anyway, hopefully we won't have to disassemble these lockbacks too often :smlling-eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:20 pm
sethwm wrote:

Those scales look good.

Never tried it this way (might certainly be a good one!)

With backlocks I always put the knife fully together except the lockbar, and install that one last - funnily, in the only dis-/reassembling video of Nick Shabazz I ever watched he also does it like this - and I think even with a Delica... ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FK

Post by FK »

It is very entertaining to watch Nick dis/reassemble knives,,,, he stumbles, mumbles and fumbles making dumb comments throughout blaming the manuf. design for his feeble attempts.

Back lock design, I prefer the lock bar last, on some Spyderco knives I use a small C-clamp with padded jaws to compress the lock bar and spring,,,, align the bolt hole with a tapered pin. Quick and painless to reassemble.

Regards,
FK