Fully serrated Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Fully serrated Native Chief

Post by blueblur »

After carrying a SE Pacific Salt 2 most of the year (with modified pointy tip) and a SE Police 4 this past week I’ve really come to appreciate a nicely sharpened serrated edge knife. I almost forgot how great a knife the Chief is and would like to try a Chief in a tougher serrated edge. I’ve really been wanting to try out a longer blade with a fully serrated edge in 52100 but would still pick up multiples of a fully serrated Chief if offered in Cruwear or even 4V. I would give any fully serrated Chief a try but would really like to see one in a tougher steel.

Who else would like to see this model offered with some teeth?
VooDooChild

Re: Fully serrated Native Chief

Post by VooDooChild »

Im actually hoping the upcoming lightweight will get a salt option in pe and se.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

"Who else would like to see this model offered with some teeth?"

I'm game, but I'd like to see it in SE K390 if Spyderco's results have been good. Spyderco has a number of SE K390 knives, they must have some data on them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sure!

SE should be the default option for any Spydie, if you ask me. And PE just an alternative. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am
Sure!

SE should be the default option for any Spydie, if you ask me. And PE just an alternative. ;)
When did you entered The Cult of SE followers? :rofl
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely in on this. I've already got an itch for the Chief that needs scratched and this is what I'm waiting for.

Crazy dream land wish would be to go full on old school with it and make a lightweight version and use the original Native LW scale texture, do it in a high hollow grind and give it the Native swedge. The nostalgia alone would make me weak in the wallet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am
Sure!

When did you entered The Cult of SE followers? :rofl
Hey, my friend, glad you´re back! Haven´t read a post of yours in quite some time yet!

/ And you must have been away indeed: It is rather like that I am afraid frequent forum visitors could even slowly get annoyed by my praising of SE and especially the Endela SE. ;)
And to answer your question: I did "enter the cult" immediately when I got this exact knife. It honestly is the "better PE" for me with it´s shallow, non aggressive serrations, in my use superior in almost any task, stays sharp longer and is I think even a tad faster to sharpen. Highly recommend the Endela SE! From what I´ve learned till now only the Caribbean SE will have even "better", like in really versatile, not snagging serrations.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 am

Hey, my friend, glad you´re back! Haven´t read a post of yours in quite some time yet!

/ And you must have been away indeed: It is rather like that I am afraid frequent forum visitors could even slowly get annoyed by my praising of SE and especially the Endela SE. ;)
Yes, it's been some time, I took a brake from some things, and rediscovered some other things.

I am glad that you like SE Endela. I still have the Pacific Salt SE, it's a great cutting tool, but the low hollow grind have some disadvantages.
Some time in the future I have to try FFG SE Spyderco.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I'm definitely on board for any new Chief variants, serrated or otherwise. I don't really have any interest in 52100, but Cruwear and 4V sound good. Rex 45 sounds better.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Being linerless it only makes sense that we will see a salt version. Especially since there have been reports of a LW version in the works.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:34 am
Being linerless it only makes sense that we will see a salt version. Especially since there have been reports of a LW version in the works.

Do we know if the LW will be linerless as well? Even a Green/Yellow G10 Chief with SE LC200N would be amazing!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Eric has stated that the Chief LW does not have liners.

JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1]

This question has been posed previously & as a huge Native Chief fan I vote YES, YES, a thousand times YES!

While S30V seems the quickest and easiest choice, and would be completely awesome, I wonder if this might be the model for SE XHP to show up...? Yes? No? Anybody else with me on that?

Regardless of steel used, I'm 100% in for a SE Chief for sure.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 am
Eric has stated that the Chief LW does not have liners.

I missed that!! SE LW Anything Chief has my vote.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kobold

Post by kobold »

I never carry them, but my Chiefs are my most used folders at home - I am game.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

A Cruwear Micarta Native Chief would be amazing. Already linerless so nothing to mess with there, and it seems like a great platform for the steel. PE and SE.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:42 pm
A Cruwear Micarta Native Chief would be amazing. Already linerless so nothing to mess with there, and it seems like a great platform for the steel. PE and SE.

Not an option for Spyderco I am afraid:

In order to guarantee the structural stability they want, they even had to go from nested to full liners on the Crucarta ( = Micarta handled) PM2.
So I am quite sure they´d not do a linerLESS Micarta knife (though I personally think Micarta is strong enough to take this, but perhaps would still not live up to the Spyderco standards)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Native Chief LW in itself is something I'm really excited about, the most actually. It's a new model for me, never tried the G10. So having the possibility to test out the LW when it comes out is gonna be really good!
I'm in love with the N5 LW so that's gonna be something, I'm pretty sure !

If an SE sku of the LW would come out, I'd be more than happy to buy PE and SE.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds