Spyderco Reveal Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Spyderco Reveal Update

Post by TazKristi »

Spyderco is changing its approach to unveiling new products. Previously, the content of our “Reveals”—periodic supplements to our annual Product Guide—was driven by the goal to release them simultaneously in both digital and printed form. That required us to project the availability of new products months in advance. If things didn’t go exactly according to schedule, there was a significant delay between the announcement of a new product and its on-the-shelf availability.

To remedy this problem, Spyderco will soon begin announcing new items with product-specific digital Reveals through our social media platforms and the Spyderco app. These announcements will be timed to coincide with the actual availability of the product and will not follow a specific schedule. Throughout the year, we will periodically consolidate digital Reveals into printed Reveals, which may also include additional new-product announcements. The printed Reveals will continue to serve as handy supplements to our annual catalog.

We are confident this change will allow us to be much more timely and flexible in our approach to releasing new products. It will also reduce the frustration caused by unexpected delays in new-product availability. Rest assured, Spyderco has a lot of new products in the works. And as soon as each one is ready, you’ll be among the first to know.

Sincerely,

The Spyderco Crew
There is nothing more important than this one day.
AlexRus

Re: Spyderco Reveal Update

Post by AlexRus »

Thank you for the update, Kristi!
Last edited by AlexRus on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds good to me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Cool. I think your new system will be better for all. Personally, I'm somewhat of an impulse buyer. I'm compelled to reach for the shiny new baubles. If there is a substantial delay between a reveal and actual release, my enthusiasm can wane. With that said, I can hardly wait to see what's next.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks for the update! :bug-red
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks Kristi, good...now all those threads about the reveal can finally be squashed!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

The reveals were fun while they lasted.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:56 am
The reveals were fun while they lasted.
They're not over... The process will be different...

Stay safe,

Mike
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thanks for the update.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you. This is a sensible adjustment to the Reveal process.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

So when a knife is announced will it still be the 90 day expected timeframe or will it be sooner?

I also worry this will cause some angst not knowing whether to pass a certain model/sprint because of budget or future announcements.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Thanks for the update, Kristi.
--Jeremy
Monty

Post by Monty »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:45 am

I also worry this will cause some angst not knowing whether to pass a certain model/sprint because of budget or future announcements.
Yes, it was nice perusing the reveal and evaluating what I would be saving for and budgeting. This method sounds better for dealers to put up the preorders and get them to customers in a timely fashion, completely understandable decision.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Thank you for the update.

I will miss the Reveal thing, because it was convenient.
Once you have a look at it, you know what's coming up to you in about the next 6 months. It was kinda haven of tranquility in opposite to the exclusive hysteria.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for the update!

One thing I really liked about the previous Reveal process was that it helped me budget for near-future knife purchases.

But one thing I didn't like about it—and this is really as much about me as the process—is that it always had me looking forward, instead of enjoying what I have.

The hype generated by the Reveal process was great because it kept the knife community talking about the brand in between releases, but the constant anticipation could be wearying and I think it could also lead to unhealthy levels of FOMO in certain individuals (that's part of a larger discussion about marketing/advertising in the Internet Age, I guess).

Another thing about the previous Reveal process is that it probably makes the company less able to adapt and pivot in reaction to new circumstances (e.g., pandemic-related production/distribution delays, material shortages, etc.) without looking like it's missing deadlines or walking back public statements.

Anyway, I welcome the change in the Reveal strategy
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 am
Thanks for the update!

One thing I really liked about the previous Reveal process was that it helped me budget for near-future knife purchases.

But one thing I didn't like about it—and this is really as much about me as the process—is that it always had me looking forward, instead of enjoying what I have.

The hype generated by the Reveal process was great because it kept the knife community talking about the brand in between releases, but the constant anticipation could be wearying and I think it could also lead to unhealthy levels of FOMO in certain individuals (that's part of a larger discussion about marketing/advertising in the Internet Age, I guess).

Another thing about the previous Reveal process is that it probably makes the company less able to adapt and pivot in reaction to new circumstances (e.g., pandemic-related production/distribution delays, material shortages, etc.) without looking like it's missing deadlines or walking back public statements.

Anyway, I welcome the change in the Reveal strategy

I'm afraid this will generate uncertainty at cost of transparency. Economics does not like uncertainty. And it will create even more FOMO as transparency does.
Yesterday people have been unhappy because they had to wait for the announced knife.
Now they're unhappy because they spent their piggy bank on a knife and 4 weeks later, when 'the better knife' is announced, they're broke and miss it.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:05 am
Spyderco will soon begin announcing new items with product-specific digital Reveals through our social media platforms and the Spyderco app. These announcements will be timed to coincide with the actual availability of the product and will not follow a specific schedule.

It will be great to have announcements of new products closer to their actual releases to dealers! :clapping-hands

In addition to announcements via your "social media platforms and the Spyderco app" will you be creating threads here as well? I think a thread on this forum whereby only someone from Spyderco updates it with just new products would be ideal. We would subscribe to it and thus get email notifications of just new products dropping soon.

Additionally, will these new "product-specific digital Reveals" which will "coincide with the actual availability of the product" include those products from past Reveals (Volumes 5-8) that have not yet been released (see list below)?

1. Autonomy2 LC200N Black DLC Blade CombinationEdge Black G-10 C165GPSBBK2 (USA)
  2. Lil' Native SlipIt CPM-S30V Black G-10 C230NLGP (USA)
  3. ParaMilitary2 CPM-CRUWEAR Brown Micarta C81MPCW2 (USA)
  4. Swick5 Large PlainEdge LC200N Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14P5 (USA)
  5. Swick5 Large SpyderEdge LC200N Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14S5 (USA)
  6. Swick6 Small PlainEdge LC200N Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14P6 (USA)
  7. Swick6 Small SpyderEdge LC200N Black G-10 Boltaron Sheath FB14S6 (USA)
  8. Delica4 LightWeight K390 Wharncliffe Blade Blue FRN C11FPWK390 (Japan)
  9. Delica4 LightWeight K390 SpyderEdge Blade Blue FRN C11FSK390 (Japan)
  10. Dragonfly2 LightWeight K390 Wharncliffe Blade Blue FRN C28FP2WK390 (Japan)
  11. Endela LightWeight K390 SpyderEdge Blade Blue FRN C243FSK390 (Japan)
  12. Endura4 LightWeight K390 SpyderEdge Blade Blue FRN C10FSK390 (Japan)
  13. ManBug Wharncliffe SpyderEdge VG-10 Black FRN MBKWS (Japan)
  14. Resilience Lightweight CPM-S35VN PlainEdge Satin Blade Blue FRN C142PBL (China)
  15. Resilience Lightweight CPM-S35VN CombinationEdge Satin Blade Blue FRN C142PSBL (China)
Thank you!
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:05 am
Spyderco is changing its approach to unveiling new products. Previously, the content of our “Reveals”—periodic supplements to our annual Product Guide—was driven by the goal to release them simultaneously in both digital and printed form. That required us to project the availability of new products months in advance. If things didn’t go exactly according to schedule, there was a significant delay between the announcement of a new product and its on-the-shelf availability.

To remedy this problem, Spyderco will soon begin announcing new items with product-specific digital Reveals through our social media platforms and the Spyderco app. These announcements will be timed to coincide with the actual availability of the product and will not follow a specific schedule. Throughout the year, we will periodically consolidate digital Reveals into printed Reveals, which may also include additional new-product announcements. The printed Reveals will continue to serve as handy supplements to our annual catalog.

We are confident this change will allow us to be much more timely and flexible in our approach to releasing new products. It will also reduce the frustration caused by unexpected delays in new-product availability. Rest assured, Spyderco has a lot of new products in the works. And as soon as each one is ready, you’ll be among the first to know.

Sincerely,

The Spyderco Crew

Great, I get exactly what you are saying… the MagnaCut Mule will be released in two weeks.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Really going to miss the reveals, half the reason I am on the forum so much this month.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Awesome! This is what I was hoping for.