Talk me out of UKPK Salt SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Talk me out of UKPK Salt SE

Post by Doc Dan »

I can't talk you out of it. I have one in my cart, waiting for me to get some money. I really like this new iteration of the UKPK. Get it. You won't be sorry. It may become your most carried knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Ok, I try to talk you out of it.
As you said, you already have a Dragonfly. This thing even has a lock. There are people around that smash the spine of a knife and if the lock fails after repeated hits the knife is basically useless. Try this with the UKPK and you will see pretty fast why the knife you already own is far superior.
The handle is made out of FRN, this flimsy, unstable plastic that can't take hard use. And all this without steel liners. This knife is absolutely just pocket jewelry. There should be titanium liners.
Speaking of hard use. The blade stock is only 2.5 mm. How should prying be possible with such a thin stock? Absolutely useless.
And then these teeth. How can one think of cutting with such a "blade". Is sure has to be more tearing than cutting.
Furthermore, just look at this steel. There is nothing like edge retention to be found with this steel. This knife really should have been made with something like Rex 121 or something else, that has at least some kind of edge retention.
And the color. Who had the idea to give this knife a bright yellow? It is a knife. No one should be aware of the fact, that you carry one. The only shade a knife should have is black. Or something darker. But at least black. Of course, the blade needs to be black, too. That should be obvious. Not this high reflective shiny metal look. DLC would benefit the rust protection, too.
Try to cut something with this block of steel. You soon will find, that a blade stock of 2.5 mm is way too thick, to be a good slicer. That's an absurd amount of steel you have to force through the material you want to cut.

Mine should arrive tomorrow. I am sure there will be more things I find, when I finally can hold it in my hands.

Disclaimer: Nothing (except, that mine should arrive tomorrow) I wrote, was meant serious. I just tried my best to do what the op asked for.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My biggest interest in this model is for legal reasons, and the times when I actually need that are so few and far between I may as well not even bother. But, I will probably get one just because the options for knives like this with serrations are so few, I don't want to miss out on it and see it get discontinued.

The reason I'd buy one is also the reason I really could pass on it, and that's the fact that it doesn't lock. This would limit my uses to vacation/casual use scenarios, because I wouldn't even consider a slip joint for my work and I don't have to worry about the laws at work and that's a large part of my knife uses. I could maybe see myself using one for yard work, it may even be interesting to test the overall strength of this knife vs a locking knife.

I have borrowed and used a UKPK for a while and I will say there is a kind of convenience with not having a lock, you'd be surprised how much quicker it can be to operate even vs a lock that you're very comfortable with and can operate like second nature. I did grow up with non locking knives so this isn't a new concept for me, but closing the knife by folding it against your hip couldn't be easier, just make sure your fingers are out of the way.

Lastly my only other argument against getting one is about the competition. If you just want something in this size, there are lots of options that may work for you even better. It really comes down to a curiosity about not having a lock. The design is definitely a very good one, the ergonomics are top notch, it has a great steel and even the lack of a lock is one less thing to worry about wearing out over time so as long as the spring never fails, this is just about the most maintenance free folder ever made. But, I could also see getting a Native 5 Salt or even a Salt 2 over this one if the ergonomics are better for you.

So, lots to consider. Do you want to experiment with not having a lock? There's a practical advantage to experience there, but also it can limit one's uses in other ways so it also depends on how you use your knives (for my work for example, I want the ability to stab the blade into something without worrying about the blade trying to close on my fingers). Strictly speaking of using a knife to cut things and only to cut things, I think you'd be surprised how easily you can live without a lock.

After reading that I'm not sure if I've talked you out of it or into it

🤷‍♂️
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Let’s talk about how awful this knife is!

-The blade stock is too thin and it cuts through stuff way too easy.

-If you made a poor decision, like me, and get the SE version it just amplifies the above statement.

-LC200N is a horrible steel, I want to have to keep my blades oiled and spend extra time sharpening my knives.

- Yellow! Who wants yellow? I love playing hide-and-go-seek with my knives when I lose them. And, if I decide to dye it I want a remembrance of the original color coming through.

-Wire clips are a dead giveaway you have a knife in your pocket, especially if they are black!

-This particular design is way to big and scary for most people and should be illegal everywhere.

-All knives this size should have the strongest lock possible, because when SHTF this will be my go to knife!

Honestly there isn’t anything wrong with this knife, except for it not coming out years ago! And, this thread needs pics!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
z1r

Post by z1r »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 pm
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there probably aren't too many folks here who are going to talk you out of a new Spydie--especially with a replenished knife fund. I mean, the heart wants what the heart wants, right? :winking-tongue But in all seriousness, I've see the knife in question and I think it would be worth a try. I used to prefer only locking blades, but I got a really nice slippie last year and my mindset changed. So yes, I'd say go for it. ;)
I too prefer lock blades but recently purchased a Roadie because it wasn't a lock blade. Nice to have a knife that I can carry in the event that I travel to somewhere with a no locking blade restriction

While I don't have one( yet), the UKPK is a solid design, looks great, fits the hand well. An SE Salt version would be really sweet!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am in the same boat with the OP but I need to decide between this one and the green Salt2. Serrated of course ! What say you, shameless enablers ?! :grimace
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 am
I am in the same boat with the OP but I need to decide between this one and the green Salt2. Serrated of course ! What say you, shameless enablers ?! :grimace
Ok, because I do prefer locking blades, I snagged this guy on Saturday. Not green, but I love it so you can guess what my recommendation is.

Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Senfkarte wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:41 am
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I am sure there will be more things I find, when I finally can hold it in my hands.
So, it is here and there is at least one more thing I found. The knife is way too light. So there is no way to tell, if it is still in your pocket or, if you already lost it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jim
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The UKPK salt is a surprise favorite of mine. Excellent steel, no worries about corrosion, light as air, and a very nice design overall. I have the plain edge version but the SE version is likely just as good if you're into the toothy versions.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
the dark green rit dye works beautifully on yellow FRN ;)
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The only drawback for me is the colour. I wish all the salts came in black. I'll probably dye it soon.

Other than that no worries, I love the UKPK:

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am doing exactly as Sal described it. Works like a charm :D

@Brock O Lee - cool photo! I actually like the yellow color (plus as it was already mentioned - it can be dyed. Some deep Burgundy would look sweet)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:
I think I'd go with the UKPK myself, I just can't live with the Delica handle and the UKPK has quite a lot of Calypso/Caly 3 DNA in it which in my opinion is *the* essential Spyderco ergonomic design. When you really start looking at the Calypso family, that ergonomic shape can be seen in so many models, tweaked a little here and there but the basic finger choil design of those knives is still very strong in the Spyderco bloodline. If the finger grooves on the Delica handle work for you then that may be the better way to go if you prefer to have a lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Sorry, I can’t. :zipper
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

****... now I want one...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 am
****... now I want one...
Yeah, me too maybe...

I hadn't really even considered a Spyderco slipjoint before (too "boring" right?), so hadn't really even given the UKPK a look. Plus, the scales look a bit too toy-like than the usual bi-directional pattern.

That said, I finally got a couple of lockbacks, which I previously thought were too "boring" too, and I'm glad I did. So having learned that lesson, and seeing this thread, I've now got the UKPK on my radar.

After getting a handful of larger folders, I'm now looking at the smaller ones. I never considered a Delica really because I have a feeling the finger bumps wouldn't agree with my fingers, since they don't on the Endela and Endura. The UKPK looks like a good option at about the same size, with what looks to be much better ergonomics for my hand.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
UkSpydie

Post by UkSpydie »

Finally decided to make an account, rather than just lurk and lust over this knife. It’s my birthday gift (even if it’s closer to me next one!) and really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Annoyingly Heinnie don’t seem to have any, and I really don’t want to wait a year before they get new stock like they did with the HH UKPK. I also don’t have any real trust in customs to allow it through from abroad after they confiscated one I bought years ago.

Hopefully Sal could give us a cheeky update on if they’ll be shipping to them soon?
UKPK every day
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Devils advocate here, go the other way.

Get a Police 4 K390 instead. Never look back.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

An interesting thing for me about the UKPK Salt is that I'm fine with its wire clip. I normally hate wire clips, but it's about perfect for this model, which feels as light as a wafer.

Jim