Talk me out of UKPK Salt SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Talk me out of UKPK Salt SE

Post by twinboysdad »

I have replenished the knife fund and had a few ideas on what I wanted at the local shop. On a whim I handle the UKPK Salt SE and I can’t stop thinking I want it. Do not need it at all, have a Dfly Wharncliffe that fits the bill. Someone tell me to move on
SpyderNut

Re: Talk me out of UKPK Salt SE

Post by SpyderNut »

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there probably aren't too many folks here who are going to talk you out of a new Spydie--especially with a replenished knife fund. I mean, the heart wants what the heart wants, right? :winking-tongue But in all seriousness, I've see the knife in question and I think it would be worth a try. I used to prefer only locking blades, but I got a really nice slippie last year and my mindset changed. So yes, I'd say go for it. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dooooooooo itttttttttttt
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 pm
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there probably aren't too many folks here who are going to talk you out of a new Spydie--especially with a replenished knife fund. I mean, the heart wants what the heart wants, right? :winking-tongue But in all seriousness, I've see the knife in question and I think it would be worth a try. I used to prefer only locking blades, but I got a really nice slippie last year and my mindset changed. So yes, I'd say go for it. ;)
Same, I always “needed” a lock but the walk and talk/half stop felt baller on this one
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I guess I'll be blunt, since all sports have me in a terrible mood this evening!

It's yellow, it's SE, it's frn, the steel seems pretty overrated and unnecessary for most people's uses, doesn't have a lock, did I mention it's yellow??

That said...my HH UKPK is a top 5 favorite in my collection :cheap-sunglasses
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Donyou have a spyderco slipjoint? Thats also a salt? And serrated?

If not then buy it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:54 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Same, I always “needed” a lock but the walk and talk/half stop felt baller on this one
Yep, that's exactly what realigned my perspective on slip-joints too. Been tempted to make one one of these days...

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've been "enabled" many times on this forum. So I'm more than happy to tell you....

If you don't buy it you'll always wonder what you missed. Just spare yourself any future agony and order it. You have yet another new knife experience to look forward to. If it turns out it's not for you then moving it on should be easy enough
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You guys suck at talking him out of it haha!! Hey bud, at least I tried!

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

I got one myself recently, and I have zero regrets! The only Spyderco I’ve bought this year! I rarely buy knives anymore, and I’m extremely picky about what I will buy.

If you’re really not sure about buying one, hold off on buying for at least a month. Then, if you still REALLY want it, then pull the trigger on it and buy one. Most of the time, if you hold off on buying a knife for a month or two, you’ll find out if you REALLY want it, or if something else comes along that you’ll want more.

Jim
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Appears unassuming by American standards, but for me it's the knife of the year. If you didn't buy one, it might enable someone across the pond who's chompin' at the bit to finally get their hands on one. :winking-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm
If you’re really not sure about buying one, hold off on buying for at least a month. Then, if you still REALLY want it, then pull the trigger on it and buy one. Most of the time, if you hold off on buying a knife for a month or two, you’ll find out if you REALLY want it, or if something else comes along that you’ll want more.

Jim
As usual, well said Jim! That is a great plan that I've tried and done myself quite a few times...maybe a couple weeks, not a whole month! Many times I end up moving on from that quick whim...but I've also caved a few times as well.

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:31 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm

Jim
As usual, well said Jim! That is a great plan that I've tried and done myself quite a few times...maybe a couple weeks, not a whole month! Many times I end up moving on from that quick whim...but I've also caved a few times as well.

Rick, I must admit that I bought my UKPK Salt on a whim! Something I never do anymore, but I made an exception in this case. I blame that thread about the availability (or lack of) of the UKPK Salt.

😉

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:55 pm
I guess I'll be blunt, since all sports have me in a terrible mood this evening!

It's yellow, it's SE, it's frn, the steel seems pretty overrated and unnecessary for most people's uses, doesn't have a lock, did I mention it's yellow??

Sports didn’t go your way?? Bama lost and Fury won, all is right for at least a day or two!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Michael, if you do make a slip joint, please be sure to share it in the off topic section!?

SpyderNut wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:01 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:54 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Yep, that's exactly what realigned my perspective on slip-joints too. Been tempted to make one one of these days...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:45 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Sports didn’t go your way?? Bama lost and Fury won, all is right for at least a day or two!
I'm a Giants fan in the NFL and Brewers fan in MLB...I'm sad and angry!

-Rick
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:50 pm
Michael, if you do make a slip joint, please be sure to share it in the off topic section!?
You bet! 😉

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Twinboysdad,

I've been carrying one every day for a few days. A simple high performance matter separator. I love it.

Don't buy one............. Be a masochist.......... Lose sleep...........always wonder.........???

sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Count me in the "no regrets" group...I ordered one the day they were available. Awesome little knife.
So it goes.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Handy as heck and unpretentious at $89.90 landed to your doorstep. I've been carrying mine around for a few weeks and suspect Sal has been carrying one longer than he lets on. IF/whenever K390 hits Golden, I hope to see a UKPK K390 PE drop point.