"Just In Case" knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: "Just In Case" knives?

Post by zuludelta »

jdw wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 am
I regularly carry a Manbug, Ladybug, or Dragonfly 'just in case' I am in a setting where using a large blade isn't appropriate.
This. I find carrying a "use in case of Karen" :rofl small knife to be a very, very minor inconvenience relative to the hassle of dealing with people who get easily freaked out by knives (especially in the workplace... nobody wants that HR smoke)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I try to behave going to Chicago taking daughter to Northwestern Hospital for tests . While layed off at Cat worked on a Police Science degree . I got the opportunity to pick up a guy at Cook County jail . Let’s say it was an eye opening experience. Outside of Chicago carry anything I want or need . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My feeling is the OP is looking at this from the acquisition perspective. And that makes sense, as most everything I carry is for just in case. I.e. we’re adding an additional layer to the madness; buying a knife just in case you should happen to find yourself in a setting where a different just in case knife would make more sense because the current “just in case solution” isn’t optimal for the situation or actual matter to separate that might hypothetically present itself in that hypothetical situation.

I’m not going to pretend I’m not guilty of that at some level. No one with 20+ folders should, but I really try to be resource responsible, so even if my “need box” is still checked a little too easily, my process has become much more thorough, with any acquisition.

Most of my JIC “needs” are identified through past situations where I’ve had a harder time than necessary- or a close call because of not having the suitable tool or equipment. That’s OK, but many situations are one-offs, and it’s easy to forget to do a quick calculation on the probability of predictably finding one self in a similar situation at a later time.

To make things easier, I’ve applied a new category “Just For When”, which are items I know I’ll need on a long enough timeline. Those are easier to justify.
Real just in case items, that I don’t know if I’ll ever really need, will typically be items that are very hard to obtain when the need is identified and also likely to be critical when the need arises.

With knives I enforce this system a bit more loosely. Because knives are relatively inexpensive and hold their value relatively well, and because they are a micro hobby in their own right, I allow more knife to enter the screening phase. For the same reasons I’m also a bit flexible with the definition of “need”.
James Y

Post by James Y »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:49 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Does anyone ever desire some knives for "just in case" scenarios? I'm not talking about some cataclysmic event, but "in case I go traveling" or things like that.
I have a whole set of 'in case I travel to X' knives.

I am in California for several weeks every year, so I have 'California legal knives' for that, and I also do a lot of international travel, so I have knives for that.

I tend to use an upcoming trip as an excuse to buy a new knife that works for the jurisdiction though--rather than use one of the ten others I still have from past trips. Sigh.

Yeah, it's a never ending thing. I own a SE UKPK Salt, but if I actually traveled to a European country with restrictive knife laws, and I absolutely HAD to have one on me, I'd "have to" get a UKPK in drop point and PE. Because I'd be worried that mine, with its leaf blade and serrations, might look "too weapony and threatening" to some officials, even though it's a slipjoint.

But if I ever visited Japan, I wouldn't take any knife at all. Japan has possibly the most restrictive knife carry laws in the world, especially in the cities.

Jim
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I have enough knives that I have something to carry when I need it. I don't buy many knives any more, but if there is something I want, I get it while it is available.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Good thread Jim. I usually think about leaving my favorite knives at home for some reason. I carry plain jane replaceable models like VG 10 Delica instead of my Enduras ( right now that would be K390). I also tend to gift stuff to family or others who have been able to tolerate me. In those instances I take some NOS USA made barlows or jacks and put a very sharp edge on them and turn them over usually the night before I leave. People that know me usually warn others to be careful as those thin plain carbon steel knives get real sharp real easy with modern equipment. My brother, son and one uncle got real Spydercos though.

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm
Good thread Jim. I usually think about leaving my favorite knives at home for some reason. I carry plain jane replaceable models like VG 10 Delica instead of my Enduras ( right now that would be K390). I also tend to gift stuff to family or others who have been able to tolerate me. In those instances I take some NOS USA made barlows or jacks and put a very sharp edge on them and turn them over usually the night before I leave. People that know me usually warn others to be careful as those thin plain carbon steel knives get real sharp real easy with modern equipment. My brother, son and one uncle got real Spydercos though.

Joe

Hi, Joe.

The only knives I’ve ever gifted were Victorinox Classics to everyone in the immediate family, thinking at least there’s a chance they’d be carried. The only ones who ever carried theirs (and still do) are my brother and his wife. Which isn’t a bad percentage, considering none of my family are knife people. If I bought a Spyderco for any of them, it would end up sitting in a drawer.

Most of the Spyderco knives that attract me, and that I carry the most, are basic (or pretty basic) models in Spyderco’s lineup. I tend NOT to buy exotic custom collaboration designs, like some of the Taichung models, that tend to be discontinued after a couple years, anyway. If I ever got one of those, I probably wouldn’t want to carry or use it.

Jim
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I try to have at least one rounded or sheepsfoot tip knife (or blade on a multitool) on me at all times, for the probably near nil chance I may have to cut a person or animal out of entrapment. I have also used these to cut things like wristbands and dressings from doctor's appointments off. They also are great with packaging. Chosen due to being "Just in Case" but practical.

And besides, probably one of the most comfortable knives I have is my Saver Salt. Just compact enough, and slim. Cuts like the dickens due to being SE.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have spydies on all of my keychains, spydies in the cars, spydies clipped to my first aid kits, etc. All just in case I don't have one clipped to my pocket, which is a rare occasion.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I buy a "Just in case" Delica with nearly every knife I buy.

Have the corner of the book case Delica, garage Delica, spare room Delica, car Delica, work bag Delica and the work desk Delica...All "Just in case"
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I travel to the UK not infrequently so I have a small sub-collection of UK legal knives. A couple UKPKs, Terzuola slipit, Pingo. Super excited to add a Lil Native slipit to the rotation.
me2

Post by me2 »

I have a Gerber Remix clipped in my body harness just in case I need to cut myself out. It stays put and doesn’t get used for anything else. I do take it out periodically and sharpen a pencil or something to check the edge and then either resharpen it or put it back.
max808

Post by max808 »

"Just in case" some piz of sheet pulls a knife on your pups and threatens to kill them? Oh wait, that happened a couple of months ago... luckily he decided to heed my warning when I told him mine was bigger. That could've easily turned into a bad day for everyone involved on account of a iwb c12, which rides so comfortably I sometimes forget to take it off when I leave the house. I praise the Lord every day for keeping us safe that day and preventing me from even having to touch my spydie let alone deploying it or God forbid having to occupy the space violently in order to protect my babies. Just wanted to share this anecdote to let people know that we should always stay vigilant but also rest assured that God is still watching over his flock. (coming from a guy who lost half a dozen close friends this past year) Have a good one y'all and stay safe out there!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
benben

Post by benben »

"Just In Case", so that's what we're calling it now? I like it!

My JIC knives are my serrated Pacific Salt and my Yojimbo, one for nasty, tough, dirty work, you know what the other is for.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I EDC a Spyderco Assist Orange FRN as my specific "just in case" :bug-red when I'm driving or traveling in a vehicle. The Assist has some nice features in case of an emergency.

Otherwise, seems to me that just about all knives could be considered for "just in case" duty... I carry a :bug-red just in case I need to cut something, etc. I carry a Leatherman Super Tool 200 just in case I need a tool for whatever I need it for.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

My “just in case” knives are the knives I carry into Boston (which has an obscene 2.5” limit). Lil Native, Dragonfly and my civivi odiums. Luckily, they’re all top notch so I’m not totally unequipped
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Matus

Post by Matus »

2.5" is not that bad - especially if 0.5" is not wasted on a finger choil ;)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I keep an old blue rescue in my car for just in case. Also keep a few others in there in case I ever walk out of the house without a knife. Usually the ulize and a stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Does anyone ever desire some knives for "just in case" scenarios? ...
Jim
Based on this metric, all of my knives JiC!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:31 pm
My “just in case” knives are the knives I carry into Boston (which has an obscene 2.5” limit). Lil Native, Dragonfly and my civivi odiums. Luckily, they’re all top notch so I’m not totally unequipped
I hope the smaller P'kal makes it into production. It would be ideal for places like that with a 2.5" ordinance. I think the Karahawk might also work, blade length listed at 2.3"
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal