Only carrying one? Better count!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Only carrying one? Better count!

Post by Bolster »

I always thought it was silly to carry more than one Spyderco at a time. Who needs that amount of redundancy?

Then today I realized I have been carrying two Spydercos for the past several months...a Manix in my RFP as my main work knife, but I'd forgotten about a Chaparral tucked away in my phone pouch.

Pondering this, I then realized that I usually carry a backpack, which has a LW Manix stashed in it.

I've been walking around with three Spydercos and had never realized it until today. Amazing how they can accumulate on a body!
VooDooChild

Re: Only carrying one? Better count!

Post by VooDooChild »

I always carry right front pocket. When I wear cargo shorts, which is a lot, I put a second one in my left cargo short pocket. I also always have a manbug on my keys.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I also often carry a keychain knife, a wallet knife, a pocket knife, and a fixed blade backpack knife. But my keychain knife is so small, it doesn't count IMHO.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'll carry one clipped to my front pocket, either the left or right, a Ladybug on my keychain, a small SAK in my front pocket, and something else clipped inside my backpack or sling bag. (all folders) The tool bag in the car has another folder in it.

I may swap what I'm carrying out with one of the smaller ones or stow the bigger ones in the backpack depending on location. Don't want to cause a panic, ya know.
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I had three on me yesterday, and I didn't even cut anything. At least I was ready...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Over the summer I kept my EDC items in an elasticized runner's belt, because my new phone didn't fit the front pocket of my jeans correctly. Basically Batman's utility belt. So I always had my GITD Jester on a lanyard with a keychain light with me, even before I pulled on my pants. So it was almost always two knives, and occasionally three.

If I'm in our car, that's where I keep the knives that are starting to look weird from repetitive sharpening. And there are strategically placed junk drawers around the homestead for similarly demoted knives.

One knife?! I don't know how people can live like that.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Keychain, Right front pocket, center console in the car (Rescue Assist just in case). The work bag has a Byrd Cara Cara, mostly they are on standby like the multi tools on the keychain and in the work bag. Ready when I need them.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

After a long break from carrying any knife on a regular basis, I got into the habit again about 4-5 years ago.
Going from zero to one felt like a pretty substantial step, so at that time I couldn’t imagine why I would ever need more then one.

These days I regularly find myself carrying more than one, not often intentional, just something that happens. My EDC is typically something Dragonfly sized that I don’t even notice in my pocket, so if I by any chance need something different / bigger, I will usually carry it in addition to my regular carry.
And just like Bolster, I rarely go anywhere without my backpack.. and what do you know, there’s one there too.

Up until now, anytime I’m carrying more than one is pretty much “accidental” or to cover a temporary need, but lately I’ve been warming up to the idea of adding a small utility blade to my EDC. Haven’t figured it all out yet, but regularly carrying two blades is certainly a much more likely reality than I once thought. The second one wont be a spyder though.
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

I've had a knife in my pocket since the age of eight. While hunting I'll have 2 on me.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I edc my daily rotation of Spyderco in my right front pocket and a downward draw clinch pick fixed blade left of centerline are my edc. In my transit sling (edc briefcase) I always carry a SAK, leatherman wave and a Spyderco reverse fixed blade. In the console of my Jeep I always carry a Spyderwrench.

Walking the dog I carry my Spyderco karahawk (waved karambit) and a waved endura or waved tropen.

You could say I have a knife problem lol
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've also been carrying a knife since I was seven or eight. I usually carry more knives than the local hardware store. After all, what good is a pocket without a pocket knife?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:05 pm
I've been walking around with three Spydercos and had never realized it until today. Amazing how they can accumulate on a body!

z1r

Post by z1r »

Lol, Yup, carry my Endela in the RFP, the DF2 in the LFP, and my manbug on my keychain. I have my Endura in my backpack, and a SS scaleless generic knife in my bike's seat bag. Since I ride to work most days, I guess I have up to 5 knives. OMG!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I seem to be the odd man out in this thread. In the past, I used to always carry two Spydercos, in addition to a couple SAKs. Lately, it’s been hard trying to get myself to carry more than one Spydie at a time. Now my knife EDC is usually one Spyderco (most times my G10 DLC Manix 2) and my Victorinox Executive SAK ( I’ve carried the latter knife every day since 1999). Occasionally, I switch out the Manix 2 for another model. It’s even hard to get myself to drop my Ladybug HB Salt down in one of my other pockets (I wear cargo pants).

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I used to carry two knives, two of the same, one on the left hip and one on the right hip.

That is why I buy duplicates when I find one that I like.
Last edited by Naperville on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I almost always have 2 knives on me when I leave the house: the SE Manbug on my keychain & a larger folder (usually the Yojimbo 2 or the Li'l Temperance 3) in my back pocket. Occasionally, I will carry a small fixed-blade (either a Ronin 2, Street Beat LW, A.R.K., or a Benchmade SOCP 178) instead of the second folder.

At work, I always have 3 blades on me: (1) the aforementioned keychain Manbug, (2) whatever work folder I'm carrying that day (usually a Yojimbo 2, PM2, LT3, or Shaman) in my RFP, and (3) a Leatherman Skeletool CX on my toolbelt.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on where I am. In the house, most often zero, but there's always one or more within reach. I'm looking at a Kiwi, a Centofante Memory, and a LH Military as I type this. Walking the dog, most often two and most often those are a Kiwi and a Stretch. Going somewhere in one of my cars, most often three and generally those are the two I just mentioned plus a Jester with my keys.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had a Caplifter Clipitool in my watch pocket for over five years. That doesn’t change. The knife in my right rear pocket rotates a little.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Re: Carrying more than one knife. First step is accepting that you have a problem...
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I've also carried knives since I was 8, or so, but don't think I've ever carried more than one at a time. That equates to 70 years of only carrying one knife at a time. Does this mean I'm going to ****? :)