Cut myself.... again

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Re: Cut myself.... again

Post by kodai78 »

Gee, I was gonna weigh in but you guys are next level. I only needed a bandaid.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:56 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:48 pm
Severed extensor tendon on my trigger finger. $25,000 was a lot of money 35 years ago. A major learning experience. Since then, everything has been comparatively minor. :releived
That’s still a lot of money! Glad it healed well. Until someone named “Stumpy” enters the thread, you are the front runner. :grin-squint
Just a reminder that I was once young and dumb. Now I'm no longer young. :thinking
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Let it hit the floor. Don't risk a bad cut over something you can fix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 pm
Let it hit the floor. Don't risk a bad cut over something you can fix.
Those of us who often cook while barefoot in the kitchen have all done "THE DANCE". :zany
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

YES! we sure have!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's been a long time since I really sliced myself badly. But back in about 2006 when I was EDCing my ZDP-189 Caly Jr I really opened myself up badly. Lucky for me I was working for a retired MD Doctor who was on the job site with me at the time I cut myself. He bandaged me up and we went to the Emergency Room for stiches.

The Doctor said the cut was so clean and precise that it reminded him of his work with a surgical scalpel. All I know is that it hurt like **** for 2 to 3 days. And it was a relatively deep cut too.

That Caly Jr blade with the ZDP-189 blade steel made for a wicked and potentially deadly combination.
kobold

Post by kobold »

My left thumb acts as a lightning rod against knives, sickles, handsaws...
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Years ago I bought the Police G10 when it first came out . First day I carried to work at lunch I was in my cubicle in the Shipping Office eating lunch slicing up a pork chop leftover . Afterwards I used a paper towel to clean off blade before using my soapy water bottle . When I pulled blade through towel I rolled the blade and sliced open my right ring finger . I did the usual cuss words and started digging in desk for band aids . Then I heard a voice . I bet you cut yourself with a Caterpillar approved safety knife . I replied absolutely ! Next day a box of band aids were on my desk with a get well card signed by everyone in the office . No respect for the wicked ! Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

About 10-ish years ago, I cut the side of my left thumb off (just a sliver!) and into the join at the base of my thumb using my pocket knife to open the clamshell for a new knife in the Bass Pro parking lot. I drove to Walmart to buy some betadine and gauze, and I soaked that sucker, put my piece of thumb back on, wrapped it with gauze and taped it up. Thinking I was good to go, I continued on to my Dad's house to have dinner with them. After dinner, and much explaining, they made me unwrap it to let them "have a look at how serious it is". Then, my piece of thumb fell off, and we went to the ER where they threw away my prized possession and just sewed up the wounds as best they could.

A few years later, I was laying on my couch playing with my Esee Izula, which I'd reprofiled and thinned out the edge on (my first reprofile). Anyway, as I'm laying on the couch watching TV, absentmindedly playing with my new knife and spinning it around in my fingers, I get this sudden thought that this is unsafe and I could drop the knife on myself or my dog. So, I go to put it back in it's sheath, but something suddenly startles me (maybe a loud noise on the tv or whatever) and my hands jerk, so I miss the sheath and cut through the top of my thumb - right across the knuckle. That was an ER trip too. :|
--Jeremy
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’ve done the dance many times, but but this time my reflexes got the worst of me.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
attila

Post by attila »

Considering how serious some of my cuts have seemed at the time, I’m fortunate to have full function.

My worst one was from a freshly razor-sharpened tomahawk that bounced out of a chop perpendicular to the grain of some very hard wood. My hand was several inches away, but it was an angled chop that led to an angled bounce.

The edge seemed to just barely knick my hand, but I quickly realized that that “barely” caused me to not be able to lift my thumb and required surgery to reattach a cleanly severed tendon.

I’ve learned my lesson, so I’m much more careful these days!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

My wife cut the tip of her finger off with the Spyderco kitchen knife but I haven't done anything like that yet
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

attila wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 am
Considering how serious some of my cuts have seemed at the time, I’m fortunate to have full function.

My worst one was from a freshly razor-sharpened tomahawk that bounced out of a chop perpendicular to the grain of some very hard wood. My hand was several inches away, but it was an angled chop that led to an angled bounce.

The edge seemed to just barely knick my hand, but I quickly realized that that “barely” caused me to not be able to lift my thumb and required surgery to reattach a cleanly severed tendon.

I’ve learned my lesson, so I’m much more careful these days!
Man this brings back a vivid memory from my last camping trip with my brother. I'd just bought a Fiskars X7 hatchet and sharpened it up. Anyway, we went camping and my brother started to prep some firewood as it was getting dark. He put the hatchet on the log and was hitting it with another log to baton it. Somehow, the hatchet bounced out on a hit (perhaps it was the first one of a new log? I don't know. I wasn't watching at the time), and then it cut across the top of his hand directly behind the first knuckle of his index finger. After he showed it to me, I quickly put some celox gauze around it and wrapped it with gauze to immobilize the finger, and we went to the emergency room. I was worried he'd severed that tendon right there, but he was lucky in that it hit the bone instead and just missed the tendon.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're healed up and good to go nowadays.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This thread has been therapeutic for me in hearing that others have had similar experiences. Whenever I do something like this I begin to doubt myself and question my abilities. But I'm not alone and sometimes stuff happens.

For those injuries, get well soon. For those without, stay safe!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

When I was a young lad my mother was visiting a friend. Her son was a boy scout, and he obviously earned his sharpening badge. I happened to see his Buck knife sitting on a dresser and I picked it up and touched the edge, it cut me good. It was the first sharp knife I ever experienced. And left me with a fascination for sharp things.

Not sure if this counts because it wasn't a knife, but had my big toe pierced, ripped and crushed in the gears of a bike. Severed tendon, crushed bone, ripped it half off. Major orthopedic surgery and months of physical therapy.

I have a scar on the back of my thumb from when I was 14 and tried to do the cool samurai move of cutting on the draw and then quickly resheathing the sword. Resheathed a little too quick.

Got my middle finger caught in a hedge trimmer, the fingernail and bone stopped it from taking the finger off.

I've cut myself with my knives pretty good a few times, nicked myself more times than I can remember. Had 5 stitches in my chin and 5 in the eyebrow, both of those were blunt force trauma though technically they did cut me :smlling-eyes
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Lol me too. Opened my hand up w my adamas on fri. I was impared so didn't go to the hospital. Crazy glue works awesome!
Alcohol and knives always go together so well..... until they don't lol!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

SpyderLine wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:36 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Lol me too. Opened my hand up w my adamas on fri. I was impared so didn't go to the hospital. Crazy glue works awesome!
Alcohol and knives always go together so well..... until they don't lol!
Yeah I hear ya. I had just sharpened that big ol blade too. Love the cruwear. Just not In my palm! :winking-tongue
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 pm
So here is my dilemma. A couple days ago I was opening a box with my Drunken and I accidentally drop the knife. I had two options; get out of the way and let it hit the floor or try to catch it. I did the second and got a nice bite in the crease of my finger.

Now this has happened multiple times, don’t ask, and I often let it hit the floor (usually tip down). This time I caught it and I have to say I’d do it again not to have to correct a bet tip. What would y’all do?

Easy answer for me Dazen. I have unfortunately learned this lesson the hard way, lol.

If a knife drops or falls - I get as far out of the way as I can (try to get as much of my body as I can, above and away from it). - Let It Fall & hit the ground, or until it comes to a full stop. -

I've "caught" knives with my hands & feet, and definitely Do Not recommend it..

The "old" saying of "a dull knife is a dangerous knife" isn't always true. i.e. If you're going to try to catch a falling / dropped knife - a Very sharp knife is WAY worse "more dangerous" that a nice dull one would be.

u.w.