Did Spyderco stop sending out their physical catalogs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Did Spyderco stop sending out their physical catalogs?

Post by Sharp Guy »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:19 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Spyderco's product guides are extremely high quality, and can't be cheap to produce. I feel like I signed up to receive them a few years ago but never did. When I went to SFO a few months back all of the guides/catalogs had been taken from the front entrance table and someone had to go into the back to grab one.

When they mail them out are they enveloped or do they just put postage on the back of the product guide?
Mine was in a nice envelope, had extra flyers of the thin line series
If I'm not mistaken they're usually in grey plastic wrap
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I ordered one to my house at the beginning of this year.. a couple months went by and it never arrived, so I tried again, and also ordered one to ship to my work. I still have not received a catalog at my house this year, but one did arrive at my work address a few weeks after I asked for it. I think Spyderco is definitely still shipping them, but I imagine there are many factors at play that decide whether or not your catalog will actually show up.. USPS in general has been pretty spotty these days..

To those wondering what is the appeal of a physical catalog.. for me anyway, the biggest draw is that most of the knife pictures are printed on the pages at a 1:1 ratio (or pretty darn close to it), so as you're looking through catalog you get a good idea of what a knife's actual size is as it compares to your hand or to other knives. This can be very helpful in determining interest in a a design.. for me anyway. Plus, I just think its fun to flip through a well-designed catalog.. haha call me old-school I guess!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am
A hardcopy catalog would be SUPER if I was a time traveler going back to 1984 to buy a Spyderco Worker. Alas, this is 2021. As a prisoner of the time-space continuum, the only use I can find for paper catalogs is for lining birdcages and starting campfires.

The cost of printing, postage, and labor has got to make the cost of a single catalog rather substantial, so I'm not going to ask Spyderco to send me something that is just going to take up valuable space in one of my bookcases. If the company's advertising department is struggling to burn through their budget this year, they can keep the catalogs and send me stickers. Stickers are WAY better than paper catalogs
I understand what you mean and I'm sure you are also satisfied with virtual knives ... in 2021 you won't need a knife weight in your pants, one has a smartphone and the right app ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

I was super impressed when I received my Spyderco catalog through the mail , I live in England and Spyderco is one of the only companies that will still ship their catalogs overseas. Ka-Bar won’t even allow international customers to access their website ( huge mistake). Well done Spyderco 👍 since receiving your catalog I’ve purchased three more of your knives including a Para 3 which is my current favourite. Of course living in the UK it would be silly not to own a UKPK so I bought one of those too.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Dunc5:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Dunc5

Post by Dunc5 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 am
Dear Dunc5:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you , I think I’m going to like it here

Duncan
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

What's not to like? Good place and good people as you will see.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I received mine this year, always a nice little surprise
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My catalog showed up Wednesday. I must have finally got the timing right by requesting one when SFO actually had them in stock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:41 am
My catalog showed up Wednesday. I must have finally got the timing right by requesting one when SFO actually had them in stock.
As did mine. Now all I have to worry about is getting drool on it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I haven’t received this year’s yet, although I signed up for one around the beginning of the year. This thread reminded me about it, so I signed up again yesterday. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal