Did Spyderco stop sending out their physical catalogs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
infinkc

Did Spyderco stop sending out their physical catalogs?

Post by infinkc »

I dont remember the last time I received one in the mail, They have have at least 2-3 reveals since my last mailing. I have even ordered from them direct, would have thought they might include some publications then also.
James Y

Re: Did Spyderco stop sending out their physical catalogs?

Post by James Y »

They still send them. I order/request one every year. I received this year’s. But it’s the first physical catalog I’ve received in years. IIRC, the last time before this year that I received a physical catalog I requested was possibly 2012. I don’t know if the other requested catalogs in the in-between years got lost or stolen in the mail, or if my requests for catalogs were never processed correctly.

The one(s) this year is really nice. I actually like collecting Spyderco catalogs that I’ve received.

Jim
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I get the feeling a lot of them get “lost” in the mail.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've not gotten one in several years.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

We still send them out regularly.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I've requested 3 times and have not received one. I also request on my few SFO orders and did not get a catalog on the last two or three. I've given up at this point as the online version is good enough.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

When you visit Spyderco there's a table in the lobby that usually has stacks of catalogs and the most recent printed Reveal's. I noticed for quite a while there were none there. Now they're back.

Supply chain issues with the printer, maybe? Try another request and see what happens.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:25 am
I've requested 3 times and have not received one. I also request on my few SFO orders and did not get a catalog on the last two or three. I've given up at this point as the online version is good enough.
I placed a request for 1 1/2 years and finally gave up , then one day one mysteriously arrived out of the blue, so don’t give up . I am sure they have lots of tire kickers and my catalog is very
Nice and assume expensive :thinking
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I got mine last week. It took a while but always glad I get it MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
phaust

Post by phaust »

I've tried signing up every few years since I joined here. Nothing yet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The past 3 catalogs I've gotten from Spyderco I had to request. And I've usually gotten them from SFO. I think they are still available to dedicated fans and customers but I think you have to request them. But I could be wrong. And maybe this COVID problem we are having might force a lot of companies to tighten their budget which would be understandable.

I've got a big collection of past catalogs and advertising pages along with promotion stuff from Spyderco over the years and I sure hope they are not discontinuing their physical, hard copy catalogs. I guess I'm old fashioned but I still like the physical catalogs and find them interesting to study the different models that they make.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I’m a huge fan of collecting the physical catalogs. It’s clear the amount of work and love put into them!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I always order the new catalogs the day they're released. This year I had to ordered 3 times and still never received. So finally I sent a note to the SFO explaining the problem and they sent one to me via Fed Ex or Priority Mail which was greatly appreciated. I've not received the last two Reveals. I'm pretty sure they're getting sent but, as mentioned, I think it's one of those things that gets swiped somewhere along the way.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

A hardcopy catalog would be SUPER if I was a time traveler going back to 1984 to buy a Spyderco Worker. Alas, this is 2021. As a prisoner of the time-space continuum, the only use I can find for paper catalogs is for lining birdcages and starting campfires.

The cost of printing, postage, and labor has got to make the cost of a single catalog rather substantial, so I'm not going to ask Spyderco to send me something that is just going to take up valuable space in one of my bookcases. If the company's advertising department is struggling to burn through their budget this year, they can keep the catalogs and send me stickers. Stickers are WAY better than paper catalogs
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Love getting the catalogs, but I suspect maybe wifey may redirect them from me. :thinking
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Spyderco's product guides are extremely high quality, and can't be cheap to produce. I feel like I signed up to receive them a few years ago but never did. When I went to SFO a few months back all of the guides/catalogs had been taken from the front entrance table and someone had to go into the back to grab one.

When they mail them out are they enveloped or do they just put postage on the back of the product guide?
So it goes.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Spyderco's product guides are extremely high quality, and can't be cheap to produce. I feel like I signed up to receive them a few years ago but never did. When I went to SFO a few months back all of the guides/catalogs had been taken from the front entrance table and someone had to go into the back to grab one.

When they mail them out are they enveloped or do they just put postage on the back of the product guide?
Mine was in a nice envelope, had extra flyers of the thin line series
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

My friends and I order them every year and we havent received them with the reveals as we normally do this year. I got a catalogue with a gift from Spyderco early in the year, so thank you. I also managed to find some reveals. The catalogues are used when we sit at the table and discuss the models we are buying or looking to buy. We dont have stores we can do that in.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:25 am
Meanwhile... in a mailbox in Connecticut...
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am
A hardcopy catalog would be SUPER if I was a time traveler going back to 1984 to buy a Spyderco Worker. Alas, this is 2021. As a prisoner of the time-space continuum, the only use I can find for paper catalogs is for lining birdcages and starting campfires.

The cost of printing, postage, and labor has got to make the cost of a single catalog rather substantial, so I'm not going to ask Spyderco to send me something that is just going to take up valuable space in one of my bookcases. If the company's advertising department is struggling to burn through their budget this year, they can keep the catalogs and send me stickers. Stickers are WAY better than paper catalogs
I wouldnt mind paying say $5 to cover postage and the catalogs if Spyderco added this to their webstore, for me its like a magazine and something to hold onto.