Orange October!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Re: Orange October!

Post by Dazen »

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This thread makes me wish CutleryShoppe would come out with an orange handled Native 5 with a coated CTS-XHP blade.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

mikey177 wrote: This thread makes me wish CutleryShoppe would come out with an orange handled Native 5 with a coated CTS-XHP blade.
CutleryShoppe has the Native Chief exclusive. Orange with a coated cts-xhp blade. I think its still in stock.

They had an orange native 5 lightweight with a coated s90v blade. They took a long time to sell out as well. I should have bought one.

Im waiting on the native chief lightweight. It will probably get all the standard exclusives as well as some sprints.

Edit.
Yeah its still in stock. So is the satin one. They also both say "one batch only will not be repeated". They seem to be slow sellers. Of course their native 5 lightweights were also slow sellers.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ I got their S90V exclusive; it's really nice.

I haven't gotten a Native Chief as it seems too long for my needs. But now that you've reminded me, I might revisit my decision and try it out.
Attachments
cutlery shoppe native5 dragon fruit.jpg
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

mikey177 wrote: ^ I got their S90V exclusive; it's really nice.

I haven't gotten a Native Chief as it seems too long for my needs. But now that you've reminded me, I might revisit my decision and try it out.
I like bigger knives so I might be biased. What I like about the chief though is the behind the choil grip. On the standard native 5 I pretty much have to use the choil.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 pm

I like bigger knives so I might be biased. What I like about the chief though is the behind the choil grip. On the standard native 5 I pretty much have to use the choil.
I can get a normal 4-finger grip on the Native without using the choil, plus I don't like how longer knives like the PM2 poke me in the back pocket when sitting. Regardless of this, I went ahead and ordered the DLC Native Chief. We'll see how I like it when it arrives :smlling-eyes
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

I can get a normal 4-finger grip on the Native without using the choil, plus I don't like how longer knives like the PM2 poke me in the back pocket when sitting. Regardless of this, I went ahead and ordered the DLC Native Chief. We'll see how I like it when it arrives :smlling-eyes
Thats awesome. I feel like an enabler now. Definitely let us know how you like it.

I carry right side front pocket and larger knives never give me any issues.

I can just barely fit four fingers on the non-choil native grip but I want/need a little more room. The chief has a ton more room so no problem there. I would actually like to see a choiless native 5, just have the standard grip go to the top of the handle, I think that would fit my hand pretty well.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Haha, we're all enablers here.

I also carry in the front pocket around the house, so the Native Chief will have a place in my rotation.

A no-choil Native sounds interesting.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
mikey177 wrote:

Have to bring up the "mid sized Native" Catamount123 proposed, despite this is a bit off topic (unless they´ll do an ORANGE "mid sized Native" :beaming-face )

Looking at Kobolds mock up: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90338&start=40#p1546863, this could be a longer Native, that is still pretty short and convenient in carry! For one the Native, unlike the PM2, packs a lot of blade (not edge!) in the available handle space, and, also unlike the PM2, the handle end is shaped more comfortable concerning carry

Something I like too: For me it is not "poking in the back pocket", but longer knives (Endura) can start to get a bit long for RFP in Jeans when sitting in a car or riding a bike for example.

On the Native 5 though I have to use the choil for a good four finger grip, and the edge is a bit short for me. A shame, cause I think it is one of the coolest looking Spydies ever!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree!! I've only section hiked Pennsylvania so far, but 500 miles! Way to go!!
u.w. wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:44 am
u.w. wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:52 pm
'nother fan of orange here,

I've got a few options, and am happy to observe "Orange October"

The drop point, "Hyker" modded orange Delica, and the Military have by far, the most pocket time of this group. The Delica did the AT & LT with me, along with many, many other trails & miles - both named trails and not. We've got many thousands of trail miles together.

In fact, if you look at the right front pocket (our left) in these two photos, you'll see that modded orange drop point "Hyker" modded Delica's clip, and maybe the hint of it's orange handle, there in my pocket :-)
One photo from the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, and the other from the northern terminus of the Long Trail...

Looking forward to seeing the various orange Spydies this month :-)

u.w.
Cool stuff! I’ve only done the first 500ish miles of the AT myself, but I plan to get back to it a whole lot more in the future!
I did about 100 mile segments and it was always a blast. Spyderco was mostly unknown to me at the time though, so I don’t have any neat pics that tie into this thread lol
"only the first 500"

MAN THAT IS OUTSTANDING!!! Very, Very Outstanding!

Huge Congrats to you on completing the first 500!

I'm sure that when you get the opportunities & time, you'll be getting more until you complete it all.

If not the best, It's easily one of the very best experiences I've ever had (hiking the AT). Way to much good to speak about it to try to list it in this thread.

First 500!! Hellz ya man!!! OUTSTANDING!

I remember Very Well getting to that point, Grayson Highlands near the fatman squeeze little hallway thing, and Wise shelter - I believe...
You've certainly seen some Grate & Amazing stuff getting there, and it only keeps getting better, and better.

Back to the "Orange October" knife thread,

I'd forgotten about these two when I took that photo above, but did want to add them in here.
Both from Cutlery Shoppe. One the Para3 w/ XHP, and the other an Orange Alox Farmer.
I've been carrying the Orange XHP Para3 this week.

u.w.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bazillions

Post by Bazillions »

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Cutlery Shoppe Native Chief arrived today. It is officially my biggest Spyderco folder. Fit and finish are top notch, and there is plenty of handle for different grip positions. I'll be carrying this one in the right front pocket while doing chores around the house.

Big thanks to VooDooChild for reminding me about this model.
Attachments
native chief xhp 01.jpg
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
max808

Post by max808 »

Only orange spydie in my collection but it's a good one thanks to a generous forumite. That safety orange looks just like Rapala's Gold Fluo Rot pattern used on their legendary countdown lures.
spyderhawkGFR.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Let's try one more...
spyderhawkcountdown22.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

One last try...
spyderhawkcountdown11.jpg
Bazillions

Post by Bazillions »

I missed out on the Cutlery Shop orange/black PM3's. Can't even find them for trade.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

This thread has me wondering when (or if?)we're going to see an Orange, or Orange & Black Zome Spyderco Endela, from The Cutlery Shoppe??
I just checked the site, and see the Orange & Black HAP40 Delica is still available, so ...

(fwiw - I have that Delica, and the steel on it is really very nice in regards to edge holding.)

u.w.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Funny thing, just put my Manix REX45 in the pocket today. Didn't know that Orange October is a thing
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45