Cleaning the sharpening rods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FaithfulPastor

Cleaning the sharpening rods

Post by FaithfulPastor »

When sharpening with my Triangle Sharpmaker, I use only the points, never the flat edge.

I use a soft white pencil eraser to clean the rods each time before I use them. It's amazing how easy it is to maintain the rods when you clean them before each use. It obvious when using the white ceramic stones, you can easily see the steel left behind from the previous sharpening and how easily it comes off with the white eraser.

I found my erasers in the office supply aisle at that fancy store called Wal-Mart.

Michael
Stelth

Re: Cleaning the sharpening rods

Post by Stelth »

I use "Bar Keeper's Friend" soap. It comes in a can like Bon Ami. It does a good job on the ceramic rods from the Sharpmaker.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
FaithfulPastor

Post by FaithfulPastor »

BKF does a great job, that's for sure.
I found that when I use the white eraser, the rods were never dirty enough to warrant a bar keepers friend scrubbing.

Maybe give it a try and tell me what you think. Thanks!!

Michael
Stelth

Post by Stelth »

I will. Thanks for the tip.
:usflag Don't trade your freedom for "safety" :usflag
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Between BKF and an eraser, I prefer a lansky eraser. It's brisk and it feels like I pick up more swarf with the eraser.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:00 am
When sharpening with my Triangle Sharpmaker, I use only the points, never the flat edge.

I use a soft white pencil eraser to clean the rods each time before I use them. It's amazing how easy it is to maintain the rods when you clean them before each use. It obvious when using the white ceramic stones, you can easily see the steel left behind from the previous sharpening and how easily it comes off with the white eraser.

I found my erasers in the office supply aisle at that fancy store called Wal-Mart.

Michael

That´s good advice!

But I guess you started your thread in the dedicated Spyderco-Counterfeits Subforum by accident?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FaithfulPastor

Post by FaithfulPastor »

Yes, Warstein, I did not realize I was in the forum for counterfeits. Maybe moderators could move this discussion??

Michael
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

FaithfulPastor wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:10 am
Yes, Warstein, I did not realize I was in the forum for counterfeits. Maybe moderators could move this discussion??

Michael
Moved. :smlling-eyes
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I use comet and a scotch brite pad when they're really loaded up. Works well for my edge pro stones too
K1500

Post by K1500 »

I have found that they lose their bite quickly. BKF works great and so does the Lansky ‘eraser’. The eraser is faster and easier, so it’s what I use the most.
FK

Post by FK »

Yes, the ceramic stones get loaded with steel and loose their bite rather quickly.
That is why I apply a thin coating of Norton Oil to help reduce steel loading.
Some use Windex or water with dish washing soap and other liquids to coat the ceramic surface.
My choice is BK Friend and a scrub pad to remove stubborn areas.

Regards,
FK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stelth wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 am
I use "Bar Keeper's Friend" soap. It comes in a can like Bon Ami. It does a good job on the ceramic rods from the Sharpmaker.
I always love it when one of these types of threads comes up. Because I'm always looking for newer and better ways to clean my sharpening stones.

But like this Brother has said it is hard to beat the "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser. Which you can buy at grocery and hardware stores >> as well as big box stores like Target and Rip-Mart.

If I ever find any product that cleans stones better than BKF I switch to it immediately. But again I love it when these threads on maintenance and cleaning come up. I also love sharpening threads as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FK wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:38 pm
Yes, the ceramic stones get loaded with steel and loose their bite rather quickly.
That is why I apply a thin coating of Norton Oil to help reduce steel loading.
Some use Windex or water with dish washing soap and other liquids to coat the ceramic surface.
My choice is BK Friend and a scrub pad to remove stubborn areas.

Regards,
FK
The last time one of these types of threads came up there was a Brother from Canada who said he used "glycerin" as a sharpening aid/lubricant for his Spyderco ceramic stones. Being curious I've tried it a couple of times using it on Spyderco ceramic stones and I really like it. I'm now trying to find some glycerin in large quantities. Because it is just a bit pricey in the smaller bottles. I was told that a wholesale beauty supply house does carry huge containers of glycerin. It did work better than windex or any other glass cleaner for that matter. And glycerin is a lot less messy than your honing oils. Even though BUCK makes a honing oil that works really nicely. But it's not cheap either.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

For a quick cleaning on the ceramic Tri-Angles I'll use a pink pencil eraser, for a little better job I'll us a magic eraser with water, and for a better cleaning, Comet cleanser and a Scotchbrite pad. On the diamond and CBN Tri-Angles, I rinse them under the faucet and dry with a paper towel.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thank you for the tip regarding the pencil eraser. I tried it for the first time just now and my rods look much cleaner.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is another new trick I've learned recently that has helped the cleaning process for Spyderco ceramic stones. I take the Dawn 4X dishwashing soap and make a heavy concentration of it in water>> then I soak the stones for at least an hour. To soak them overnight is a lot better. And it seems like those filings come out 3 times easier than they normally do using BKF.

But if time is of the essence you can get the job done just only using Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser. But soaking them in that Dawn 4X has made a huge difference for me. Most grocery stores have that Dawn 4X on the same shelf you find all the other dish soaps.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Thanks for the advice guys. I cleaned my fine rods with an eraser this morning...fast and clean!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have a rust eraser thingy that works pretty well but I find it easier to just use Bar Keeper's Friend and get it over with. I've used pencil erasers too but I always go back to using BFK. It works better IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Sabitori-Eraser- ... 02&sr=8-15
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
FK

Post by FK »

JD Spydo,

Thanks for the tip on Dawn 4x on ceramic stones,,,, I have used the standard Dawn with toothbrush for years to clean grime from old pocket knives and tools purchased used.

Regards,
FK
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I use BKF for my sharpmaker stones, and you wont believe this, but it will clean your sink in no time at all too!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal