The Serrated Wish List: Your Choices

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: The Serrated Wish List: Your Choices

Post by wrdwrght »

My only wish for future serrations is that the points be rounder.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 pm
My only wish for future serrations is that the points of be rounder.
Agreed! I would like to see the same style serrations that are used on the K01BK bread knife offered on a more carry friendly model.

From the Spyderco website:
…It features a highly refined serration pattern that cuts soft breads and cake without crushing or tearing, yet is still capable of powering through hard-crusted baked goods almost effortlessly…

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/K01BK/1010

Of course my #1 pick is the Spydiechef for this. But the Kapara suggestions have me wishing pretty hard too.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Use the shallow serrations from the original SE ayoob. Put those on any model and it will excel at cutting. I also vote military. We need a large USA made SE knife. Also bring back the Kris and then really go wild and make it SE. Sprint Run a SE catcherman in H1 too.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 1 and spydiechef!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

wrdwrght wrote:
Agreed. It's a pain to cut the tips off, but it makes a huge difference in performance from my experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I must be missing something here. I love my SpydieChef and I love serrations, but I wouldn't want teeth on my
Spydiechef. For me it's skinner, a slicer and I can even rock it and mince garlic. I guess it depends upon your uses.
kobold

Post by kobold »

PStone wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Agreed! I would like to see the same style serrations that are used on the K01BK bread knife offered on a more carry friendly model.

…It features a highly refined serration pattern that cuts soft breads and cake without crushing or tearing, yet is still capable of powering through hard-crusted baked goods almost effortlessly…

Of course my #1 pick is the Spydiechef for this. But the Kapara suggestions have me wishing pretty hard too.

I liked what Vivi did about a month ago. It was like micro-Krissed.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

FK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:35 pm
Military

Regards,
FK
I'll take 2, please.
PStone

Post by PStone »

kobold wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:43 am
PStone wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

I do too. You talking about his PAC Salt right? EvilD has made a great case for rounded points as well. That’s what has really gotten me to look closer at the bread knife and wonder.
kobold

Post by kobold »

PStone wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 am
kobold wrote:
PStone wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

I do too. You talking about his PAC Salt right? EvilD has made a great case for rounded points as well. That’s what has really gotten me to look closer at the bread knife and wonder.

Combining those undulating serrations with micro-serrations from low grit sharpening in a high hrc steel and a 4" blade. Yeah!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Hey "wrdwrght" I really appreciate that input. Because I've been saying for some time now that I also wish Spyderco would try out some new and different serration patterns other than the classic, pointy Spyderedge that is on most of their full SE models. Because I've actually used one of Spyderco's K-04 kitchen knives once on a job with a lot of cordage and rope that had to be but and I found that the more rounded and wavy types of serrations most definitely have some advantages cutting those types of materials.

But don't get me wrong I will say that in no way would I want to eliminate the classic "Spyderedge" that has a more pointed and spikey type of serration.

The very best serration pattern I've seen them use was on the older/discontinued AUS-8 CATCHERMAN model. Actually the old AUS-8 Catcherman is the only of about 7 Catcherman models I own that has a somewhat different type of pattern that I've never seen used on any other model. The serrations on that model are like a more rounded but yet lower profile type of pattern that I find that knife to be one of my most used in the kitchen and I also take it on every fishing trip I go on.

Thanks "Wrdwrght"!! That's an excellent point you raise. Spyderco could do well with maybe 2 to 3 different types of serration patterns because I believe it would really add a lot to their main line up. And I urge all of you to buy at least one of the K-04 or K-05 models and test it out compared to the more classic Spyderedge. The rounded/wavy serrations just don't snag up on hardly anything. I love the direction this thread is now going.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:53 am
PStone wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 am
kobold wrote:
PStone wrote:

Combining those undulating serrations with micro-serrations from low grit sharpening in a high hrc steel and a 4" blade. Yeah!
That's also an interesting point that you bring up "Kobold". Because I still have one of the older Cold Steel models out of the older Carbon V era that has those really small serrations and they do have a nice "sawing type effect" compared to most serration patterns.

But guys please also list some models that you all would like to see with different types of serration patterns and maybe at least include one good reason you think that particular serration pattern would be beneficial to the performance of that particular model.
JMM

Post by JMM »

SuperHawk
Ulize
Manix2
Native Chief
PStone

Post by PStone »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:28 pm

But guys please also list some models that you all would like to see with different types of serration patterns and maybe at least include one good reason you think that particular serration pattern would be beneficial to the performance of that particular model.
I use the Chef mainly for food and going out to eat. I often contact the plate or bone or even my fork in the other hand. I think the Chef would benefit from serrations because it would allow for a longer lasting edge since the contact of the actual apex with a hard plate would be somewhat limited. I also like how teeth can pierce tough skins and rinds a little easier without slipping. Plus the softer things too like rolls and such. Another reason for the Chef specifically is that I don’t rinse my knife at the restaurant. Just wipe and go. I’ve had surface rust form on other knifes in the time it took me to finish my night out before I got home to rinse/wash. So the LC200N is part of the reasoning too.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Some of these latest comments prompted me to dig through some old drawings of mine experimenting with serrations and knife design last night, but I think it’s a little too off topic to get into here. So, I’m wondering if another thread about “Experimenting with Serrations” or “Serrated Knife Design” would be fun?

I don’t know if that’s too redundant.

I’d probably share some drawings and ideas that may be interesting, or not interesting lol :winking-tongue , including new serrated model designs/ideas, a bit about natural serrations (not to take away from when I eventually make a comprehensive post about “Nature’s Teeth”), things like Kris style knives and wether their waviness counts as serrations, etc.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I would very much like to hear your ideas and thoughts re:serration patterns. Please do start another thread on this subject. After all, one size does not fit all. :winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sal has said that they played around with patterns in the early days and found the current style to be the most effective. They must have done something right because it's probably the most common serrations pattern that can be seen on so many knife brands.

I would like to try a pattern of just large scallops but after a few years of using and sharpening the current pattern I think it's pretty amazing. In the beginning I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to sharpen the small serrations but that hasn't been an issue at all. I think a far more important detail to explore than pattern is the thickness and angle of the serrations and thickness of the blade grind itself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

A serrated Air, in either M4 or K390, would be pretty amazing.
Serrated Honeybee would be nice as well!
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

FK wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:35 pm
Military

Regards,
FK
1. Military
2. Military
3. Military
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

Dodo in LC200N and Compression Lock