manix 2 wish list

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

manix 2 wish list

Post by ladybug93 »

i've owned a handful of spyderco models and handled quite a few more. i've also used a bunch of knives from other manufacturers. no matter how much i love other models i use, nothing can touch the manix 2. in my use, it's not only my favorite spyderco, but it's my favorite folding knife.

that said, here are some things i'd love to see...

spy27 g10 manix:
i would love to see my favorite spyderco in their proprietary steel. s30v is great and totally fine for my uses, but it would be really cool to see it in spy27 paired with g10. xhp would be a good choice too, but it's not spyderco's special blend.

manix 2 salt:
we've been asking about a manix 2 salt for a long time and talking about how to make it possible with the spring and bearing. ultimately, i think the best solution would be a lightweight manix 2 with a backlock. not only would it be difficult to make the standard manix into a salt, but the cbbl would also be difficult to operate with wet hands. a backlock is more reliable and simple, which i've found to be a good idea in the water. if this doesn't work out, a rockjumper (or leafjumper, or xl versions of either) salt would probably suffice.

screws:
i can't make a manix wish list thread without asking again for screws instead of pins in the lightweight manix 2.

one more superficial request:
i would love to see a manix 2 with od green g10 and an acid/stonewashed blade.

and a question:
is the manix going to see the same upgrade to s45v that other golden models are getting?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Re: manix 2 wish list

Post by benben »

Great post! ^^^

I’d love a screw together Manix 2 with Seki type FRN. As far as steel and color, the Spyderco crew can pick it, although M4, Cru-wear, or K390 in Foliage or OD Green would work!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

from a customer's point of view, it would be great to have a standard all-around steel, a tool steel, a high wear resistance steel, and a salt steel version of each model. it seems like that's what spyderco was on their way to doing before all the exclusives too over. i think that's probably unrealistic though, from a production standpoint. each version ultimately pulls sales away from the others and spyderco could potentially end up with a bunch of knives that don't sell, especially with how fickle we all are. i'd hate to see that happen.

i really would like to see a g10 manix is spy27 though. i don't really care about the scale color because i'm likely going to change them out for micarta anyway as soon as i get my hands on one. :)
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Magnacut manix 2
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I see where you are coming from with the pin issue but it is a non issue for me . I still prefer my Manix lockbacks and Manix 2 is definitely growing on me . I would love to see a Magnacut Manix 2 in the future in light weight and a G10 . I guess that’s my wish list . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:22 pm
I see where you are coming from with the pin issue but it is a non issue for me . I still prefer my Manix lockbacks and Manix 2 is definitely growing on me . I would love to see a Magnacut Manix 2 in the future in light weight and a G10 . I guess that’s my wish list . Regards MG2
for as much as i bring it up, it's really a non issue for me too. i prefer to have to option to take it apart for maintenance and don't like that i can't. i did have a small rust spot appear on my xhp exclusive that i was barely able to address with a cotton swab through the cbbl opening. i don't like that i can't access the rest of the tang though. i also don't understand why they would put tool steels in a lw model that you can't properly maintain. and i know that a lot of traditional knives are pinned tool steels... but i wouldn't pay $150+ for those either.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Screwed LW is in the works, so we should see that one sooner or later.

A screwed LW in magnacut is something I wouldn’t be able to resist. And incidentally almost all the things you ask for in one knife. Definitely an all round steel, almost tool steel and almost salt.

I was surprised by how much I liked the sprint G10 Manix 2, but the weight is definitely limiting it’s pocket time, so I’m going to try a LW at some point. Will wait for screws, hope for magnacut, but any almost salt will suffice e.g. S110V.
A backlock salt would be a cool option, but I have no shortage on backlock salts, so would probably opt for almost salt and ball bearing lock anyway.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Spydie I have owned and loved the longest is the BBS-exclusive M4 Manix2. It rides in my truck; its backup (rare in my collection) sits in my safe.

I’ve come to love other models just as much for other reasons, but I continue to pursue Manix2s and original Manixes selectively. I now have 10 of one sort or another, including 6 Manix2s.

Suffice to say, there is nothing I want changed in the G10 Manix2, except the steel offering. I have XHP, M4x2, Cruwear, 20CV, and REX45 (other steels of interest to me are to be had in other Spydie models I now love). Uncoated MagnaCut, 3V, and AEB-L in a Manix2 would be instant buys for me.

Were I in the market for an FRN/FRCP Manix2 (I’m not; I gifted the S110V one I had), I, too, would want screws instead on pins.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im a manix 2 lightweight guy.

Id like some chamfering/contouring for the handle. All along the back of the handle and a rounded forefinger area. Seems like all other frn/frcp knives have this, dont know why the manix doesnt. Thats pretty much it. Looks like screw construction is already going to happen.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I had a Manix 2 wish list as well, but there was little hope of it coming from the factory with the options I wanted. So, I ended up just getting the pieces myself and putting it together. Of course, doing it my way cost too much in total.

None of your wishes are outlandish, so I hope you see one or more of them come true.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:21 am
i've owned a handful of spyderco models and handled quite a few more. i've also used a bunch of knives from other manufacturers. no matter how much i love other models i use, nothing can touch the manix 2. in my use, it's not only my favorite spyderco, but it's my favorite folding knife.

that said, here are some things i'd love to see...

spy27 g10 manix:
i would love to see my favorite spyderco in their proprietary steel. s30v is great and totally fine for my uses, but it would be really cool to see it in spy27 paired with g10. xhp would be a good choice too, but it's not spyderco's special blend.

manix 2 salt:
we've been asking about a manix 2 salt for a long time and talking about how to make it possible with the spring and bearing. ultimately, i think the best solution would be a lightweight manix 2 with a backlock. not only would it be difficult to make the standard manix into a salt, but the cbbl would also be difficult to operate with wet hands. a backlock is more reliable and simple, which i've found to be a good idea in the water. if this doesn't work out, a rockjumper (or leafjumper, or xl versions of either) salt would probably suffice.

screws:
i can't make a manix wish list thread without asking again for screws instead of pins in the lightweight manix 2.

one more superficial request:
i would love to see a manix 2 with od green g10 and an acid/stonewashed blade.

and a question:
is the manix going to see the same upgrade to s45v that other golden models are getting?
I'd be all over a Manix 2, G10's, steel liners and XHP with DLC!!!!!
benben

Post by benben »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Im a manix 2 lightweight guy.

Id like some chamfering/contouring for the handle. All along the back of the handle and a rounded forefinger area. Seems like all other frn/frcp knives have this, dont know why the manix doesnt. Thats pretty much it. Looks like screw construction is already going to happen.
Hence my suggestion for some Seki FRN on a Manix, I’d be all over a couple of them!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I still have several with G10 but I mostly carry my LW versions. I'm not ever going to take them apart so the rivets don't bother me.
What I would like to see in the Manix2 is a ball bearing that wouldn't get stuck in position with friction. Some of mine are harder to open because the ball sticks in position against the blade or the backspacer.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

A salt Manix with SE would be very nice, no question...or any Manix with the SE option. I personally have yet to try SE, still patiently waiting for the UKPK in SE here in Europe, but a lot of members swear on SE and I don't think they can be this wrong. And as far as I know, there is no full SE Manix out there and the CE versions are old and no longer in production. And I am not sure if CE is the way to go. In my mind, it is more like all or nothing. But that is personal preference, of course.

I would like to see the cage material changed. To be clear, I do not hate the plastic, but I do not like it either. On the LW models I think plastic is the perfect choice but the G-10 version should be equipped with something other, in my opinion.
I used the flytanium ones in the past, but I think Spyderco could do it better. The flytanium ones do not always fit 100%.

To use screws on the LW will be a huge step in the better direction, in my opinion. But my "wish" Manix would not be a LW Manix. It would be no G-10 Manix either.

My dream Manix(s) would be DLC, Cru-Wear, Micarta, Manix and XL-Manix.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

And there is one more thing, I forgot to mention, regarding the LW Manix. If the wire clip would be deep carry, like a lot of the other wire clips, that would be another improvement, at least in my current world. But I also know, not everyone likes a deep carry clip.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm
A salt Manix with SE would be very nice, no question...or any Manix with the SE option. I personally have yet to try SE, still patiently waiting for the UKPK in SE here in Europe, but a lot of members swear on SE and I don't think they can be this wrong. And as far as I know, there is no full SE Manix out there and the CE versions are old and no longer in production.
i'm a big fan of spyderco's serrations. if you're into salts and want a full se salt manix, consider trying the se leaf caribbean. it's not a manix, but it's pretty similar. i have a se sheepsfoot caribbean and if i'm only carrying one knife, that's the one i carry. i still like to carry one of each though.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A Magnacut Manix would be Salt-ish in my book, while not claiming the whole knife is.

Acid wash/OD Green would be amazing.

My personal choice would be the above, but with smooth g10 and no jimping, the Manix has enough grip as it is.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Magnacut with dark red scales
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My view on the Manix 2 (LW for me) might be paradox for some:

- The Manix 2 LW is my perfect small EDC folder.

"Small" for me, cause it does not offer much cutting edge, and so I see it as a small knife with superior grip options, and, yes:
A pretty "small" and unobtrusive carry: For one the combination of light weight and wide profile make it very stable in pocket
Furthermore cause it luckily does NOT have a deep carry clip it does not ride deep and by that is "short" in pocket (deep carry would make it feel like a larger, longer knife there) and the shape of the handle end makes it easy to pass the hand by the knife.

Wishes? Well, if I HAD to name some:

- An SE version (with the Caribbean or Endela serration pattern) would be great.
- As always I´d like the blade to be made as long as the space in the handle allows. The Manix is ok in that regard anyway, but I think they could give it an edge length about what the PM 2 has - so about 4 to 5 mm more, which would make it a bit more versatile
- The edges/corners of the handle could be a bit more rounded: The Manix 2 LW feels very comfortable in most tasks, but in really hard ones (cutting very thick cardboard for example) the corners of the handle start to dig in the hands, here the Stretch does better for me
- Screw construction on the LW? Never had any problems with the pinned construction, not even on my tool steel REX 45 one. But if I could choose I´d still take screws over pins
- If even possible with the CBBL, untypically for me I am not really longing for a choil-less version of the Manix: As said, I see it as my small EDC with great grip options anyway, if I want more cutting edge I reach for Endura, Pac Salt or Stretch 1
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:39 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm
A salt Manix with SE would be very nice, no question...or any Manix with the SE option. I personally have yet to try SE, still patiently waiting for the UKPK in SE here in Europe, but a lot of members swear on SE and I don't think they can be this wrong. And as far as I know, there is no full SE Manix out there and the CE versions are old and no longer in production.
i'm a big fan of spyderco's serrations. if you're into salts and want a full se salt manix, consider trying the se leaf caribbean. it's not a manix, but it's pretty similar. i have a se sheepsfoot caribbean and if i'm only carrying one knife, that's the one i carry. i still like to carry one of each though.
The Caribbean is on my "this could be my next knife"-list for some time now (but so are other models, too). I am still not sure, if I would take a leaf or a sheepfoot. SE is pretty much set. The sheepfoot is not that easy to come by in Germany right now. There seems to be one seller in France, with a good reputation, who has some in stock. But I tend to gravitate more to the leaf shape.
In general, I prefer the CBBL over the comp lock or any other lock to tell the truth. So, I am not sure, if a Caribbean would be a replacement for a SE Salt Manix. I am sure it is a great knife, though.