KnifeJoy 20cv Endura4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: KnifeJoy 20cv Endura4

Post by z1r »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 pm
Only reason I didn't try the 20cv Endura 4 instead of the ZDP-189 FFG one is that the shipping from US might have ended badly (don't know this website's overseas shippings well).
That would've been the same price including shipping. Hope it wasn't a mistake lol.
FWIW, I use my ZDP DF2 daily, mostly cutting fruit, still no patina to speak of. I do clean after each use though.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

20cv is basically m390, so I already know how it behaves, that's no fun !
I'm eager to see what surprises ZDP-189 has in stock for me ^^
I do not pry or anything else with my knives, I just cut a lot of meat, paper against cutting board, cardboard, etc.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

phaust wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:01 pm
Bdubs808 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 am
This is the S Tier Endura I've been waiting for. Had so many clad Japanese carbon E4's its nice to have a such a high quality stainless version. I live in 100% humidity on the Big Island, no M4 or Maxamet for this guy unfortunately.
Do you find M390/20CV good in that environment? I live maybe five miles from the ocean in a dryer climate and seem to get pepper spots pretty frequently. Nothing crazy, just small spots of red rust that come off pretty easily.
I do have better luck with the Trinity (20CV-CTS204P-M390) in regards to corrosion resistance. All the HAP40, REX45, M4 etc. I had inevitably got spotting issues. In fact I have light rust on the jimping of my 204p Millie, some spots on my M390 Delica, and even VG10. My sweat is probably a bit corrosive as well so that combined with the environment, and constantly working in a kitchen/bar setting means I should invest in some LC200N again. Waiting on a Salt PM2...
rwk

Post by rwk »

I received mine today. The color is fantastic and even better than I expected. Love the silver clip too.

Knife appears to be flawless from a QC standpoint. Drops shut, good grinds, no lock issues, extremely sharp.

This will definitely be in my regular rotation.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

You guys are a terrible influence…..just ordered one.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

This knife is changing my mind on Enduras, it feels substantially lighter, more balanced and livelier in hand than my dad's saber grind Endura Wave... The numbers aren't that different, but the overall feel is, in a good way. I like the blade profile better than my Pac Salt 2, and the Endura also has a better action and is free of the lock rock my Salts have. Just a winner of a folder overall.

Like the 20CV Endela I picked up recently the grind angle varies a little between the belly and the tip, but that will clean up when I put an edge on it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:56 am
This knife is changing my mind on Enduras, it feels substantially lighter, more balanced and livelier in hand than my dad's saber grind Endura Wave... The numbers aren't that different, but the overall feel is, in a good way. I like the blade profile better than my Pac Salt 2, and the Endura also has a better action and is free of the lock rock my Salts have. Just a winner of a folder overall.

Like the 20CV Endela I picked up recently the grind angle varies a little between the belly and the tip, but that will clean up when I put an edge on it.

Is the angle different on one side of the blade vs the other? I'd say it is literally twice as steep on one side of mine vs. the other side, in addition to varying between the belly and tip. Probably the worst grind of the 100+ Spydies I've owned.

What is the quickest, easiest, foolproof way for a novice to even the grind out?

I've never returned a Spydie or sent one in for warranty, but I am considering it with this one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

My ZDP DF2 grind was uneven as you describe, though not twice as steep on one side. I busted out the Lansky, set the angle to 17.5 degrees and spent a day reprofiling it. Then I busted out the sharpmaker and put a real nice edge on it.

On the one hand, I feel I shouldn't have to do that, on the other, I have a super sharp edge now and wouldn't part with it for anything.
brancron

Post by brancron »

Got my 20CV Endura today. It has a nice even grind, zero blade wiggle, great centering, and is smooth. Very happy with it. Now I just have to wait for the next steel!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:11 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:56 am

Is the angle different on one side of the blade vs the other? I'd say it is literally twice as steep on one side of mine vs. the other side, in addition to varying between the belly and tip. Probably the worst grind of the 100+ Spydies I've owned.

What is the quickest, easiest, foolproof way for a novice to even the grind out?

I've never returned a Spydie or sent one in for warranty, but I am considering it with this one.
I don't regrind it or anything I just give it a good sharpening like I would anyway, set the angle where I want (in this case ~16° maybe a hair under), align the blade placement in my KME clamp correctly and it comes out pretty even.

Before, you can kind of see the angle is less acute at the tip, not at bad as my Endela was though.

After, 20CV sharpens up so nicely.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Got one. Went back and forth a bit on it... Already have a K390 Endura I really like, and a 20CV Manix I really like, and more knives than I can use in general, do I really need a 20CV Endura?

Then I realized those points were an argument FOR buying a 20CV Endura, not against it, hah.

Anyway, my example looks good and I'm looking forward to using it. :) :bug-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I got mine today. I like it. Excellent edge, straight blade, good finish with no blemishes. I'm glad I bought it. I'm currently switching back and forth between my LC 200N salt and K390 Endura ( which I managed to get one pit in but no other sign of corrosion). The 20Cv Endura is going in my pocket tomorrow. With this one I won't be sharpening it first. When the knife comes this sharp and even it's not needed. I'll have plenty of time for that later. I'm not a stranger to M390/20CV anyhow so I don't expect surprises.

Great job Spyderco and thank you Knifejoy!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Good to see that mine is the only one reported here with a bum grind. I sent mine back to KJ and they said they would find me one with an even grind and centering, so good customer service on their part. I really don't like returning stuff as I feel bad for the dealer, but this was my first Spyderco return in 100+ purchases so not bad from QC standpoint in my opinion!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I got a little rough with my Endura cutting some branches and vines out of the way of my climber while hunting and managed to chip a section maybe 5/8" long off the end of the blade.

Don't think I've ever gotten that large of a contiguous chip before, but oh well, it's an excuse to resharpen, and I'll be a bit more careful next time.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm
I got a little rough with my Endura cutting some branches and vines out of the way of my climber while hunting and managed to chip a section maybe 5/8" long off the end of the blade.

Don't think I've ever gotten that large of a contiguous chip before, but oh well, it's an excuse to resharpen, and I'll be a bit more careful next time.
Interesting result. I did get some chips on my 20CV LW Manix, but it was from hitting staples breaking down heavy cardboard furniture shipping boxes. Hard to say if it should've shrugged that off or not.

I did something similar, though visually less damage, to my M390 PM2 when it was new but after a pretty rough reprofile on the also-new-at-the-time Edge Pro, it's been good ever since. Hoping the Manix is the same way and probably won't hold the factory edge against the Endura either (haven't used the Endura enough to know if a similar issue is forthcoming).

Honestly between all the red/black Zome models, PM2, Para3 and Yo2 exclusives, and now this Endura, I'm kind of surprised we don't see more discussion of Spyderco's M390/204P/20CV performance. Edit - plus all the older models obviously; just been thinking there's been a lot of new exclusives relatively recently in this steel