P'kal as EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

P'kal as EDC?

Post by Jim Malone »

Thinking about buying a P'kal. Anyone carried one for a longer period of time as an EDC?
Any other feedback?

Thx.

Jim
twinboysdad

Re: P'kal as EDC?

Post by twinboysdad »

Why? RGEI is great for a weapon and not great for opening Amazon packages or slicing apples. I think most who carry a PKal as a weapon carry something else for EDC. But I could be wrong
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've carried a P'kal for my EDC & as a work knife... it can serve in those roles once you get used to it. You can put the clip on the other side so you can more easily deploy it in a conventional forward grip (out-of-the-box, it's configured for RGEI deployment). But in my mind, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the design.

But if you really want one for use as an EDC folder, yeah, it can work as that for sure. But there are better designs for the role IMO: for example, the discontinued Li'l Temperance 3, if I remember correctly, was designed by Sal Glesser to be an MBC-rated, sub-3 inch folding knife with ergos that can support RGEI and conventional techniques.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:42 pm
Thinking about buying a P'kal. Anyone carried one for a longer period of time as an EDC?
Any other feedback?

Thx.

Jim
Mine has always been a dedicated SD knife. With the mindset that the edge should be as sharp as possible at all times. But something I recently heard from an instructor is changing my attitude on not using it as an EDC.

They said if you're going to carry a knife for defense it is very important that you use it often for EDC tasks. This will help you understand the way it cuts and the mechanics of use in different situations. Being familiar with the knife in EDC use will make it easier to use in other situations.

I still think a well maintained edge is important, but I think there's a lot of wisdom in the idea of EDC use for SD knives. I'm going to pick up another P'kal and Emerson Elvia in the next few months, and try to EDC them.

On a related note I bought a Karahawk recently specifically for EDC use, and it works great.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Carried a P’Kal daily as it was designed in the front upper corner of my pocket but it kept opening. It was so sharp it shredded my pants and I cut my hand a few times. Made me super careful about checking it regularly. I eventually switched to a Karahawk (waved) carried on my off hand side in the waistband left of my belt buckle. While I can easily deploy it with either hand but it is setup for my off side to get someone off me so I can access my other knife or pistol depending on the situation.

I do have a Spyderco reverse fixed blade that is fantastic for carry also.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DrHe,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

zuludelta wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:48 pm
I've carried a P'kal for my EDC & as a work knife... it can serve in those roles once you get used to it. You can put the clip on the other side so you can more easily deploy it in a conventional forward grip (out-of-the-box, it's configured for RGEI deployment). But in my mind, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the design.

But if you really want one for use as an EDC folder, yeah, it can work as that for sure. But there are better designs for the role IMO: for example, the discontinued Li'l Temperance 3, if I remember correctly, was designed by Sal Glesser to be an MBC-rated, sub-3 inch folding knife with ergos that can support RGEI and conventional techniques.

Hi Zuludelta,

Yes, that is true and I agree with you. BTW, we are currently tooling up for an FRN version of the Lil Temp 3.

sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

sal wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:46 pm

BTW, we are currently tooling up for an FRN version of the Lil Temp 3.

sal
That's great to hear!
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a P'Kal that is part of my carry rotation. I removed the wave feature and moved the clip so that it draws in a normal forward grip. I use it mostly for yardwork. I don't use folders for food prep, but I've wondered if it would feel like a Swayback or a paring knife when peeling an apple.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I started using my Emerson Elvia for EDC today. It's similar enough to the P'kal to make a comparison.

It was.... interesting. I'm used to pull cutting boxes and packaging with my hawkbills, but it was taking a little mental adjustment to make all the pull cuts edge in. I'm starting to get the hang of it. We'll see how I feel after a week.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned the P'Kal model on two occasions over the years. I used to do a lot more trading that I currently do and I would end up with some pretty unusual knives at times because of my constant trading and checking out different models.

Both of the P'Kal models I obtained were plain edged models which at that time I really couldn't find any pending practical use for that model. I've wondered over the years what a P'Kal in full Spyderedge would be like and it's one model I would be willing to pay money to have someone like Willey knives put serrations on one just to see how it would perform. But I can't even imagine what I would use a plain edged P'Kal model for.

If I were to buy a particular Spyderco model strictly for self defense and martial arts which is what the P'Kal is basically designed for I would personally prefer the C-60 Ayoob model way ahead of the P'Kal. I'm not knocking the P'Kal because I'm sure it's great for what it's intended for. However unless I could get one in full SE I really doubt I would have any viable use for one in plain edge. But I bet it would be a beast in full SE.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:

Hi Zuludelta,

Yes, that is true and I agree with you. BTW, we are currently tooling up for an FRN version of the Lil Temp 3.

sal
Great news!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 am
Both of the P'Kal models I obtained were plain edged models which at that time I really couldn't find any pending practical use for that model. I've wondered over the years what a P'Kal in full Spyderedge would be like and it's one model I would be willing to pay money to have someone like Willey knives put serrations on one just to see how it would perform. But I can't even imagine what I would use a plain edged P'Kal model for.
:beaming-face
JD my friend youre love of Spyder Edge is constant and inspiring.
zuludelta wrote:
sal wrote:

Hi Zuludelta,

sal
Great news!
Sounds like a winner. Eager to see how it turns out.

Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I think the P’kal is great for EDC, once you get used to RGEI

Matter of fact I remounted the clip on my waved delica and waved dragonfly to operate the same way as the P'kal. By EDC'ing the knife I use for martial arts. It made me realize that the choil on the dragonfly and the Ricasso on the delica often gets caught up while cutting certain materials. So you either have to train for that failure or find a knife that has a blade that extends to the handle

I’m still hoping the lil P’kal prototype goes into production. Does anyone have a pic or video of it?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Blue72 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:29 am

Matter of fact I remounted the clip on my waved delica and waved dragonfly to operate the same way as the P'kal. By EDC'ing the knife I use for martial arts. It made me realize that the choil on the dragonfly and the Ricasso on the delica often gets caught up while cutting certain materials. So you either have to train for that failure or find a knife that has a blade that extends to the handle

I’m still hoping the lil P’kal prototype goes into production. Does anyone have a pic or video of it?
Where did you see lil P’Kal mentioned? I see Lil temp above, but haven’t seen Lil P’Kal ever mentioned and would be interested! It would be the smallest ball lock ever made I would think
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:21 am
Blue72 wrote:

Where did you see lil P’Kal mentioned? I see Lil temp above, but haven’t seen Lil P’Kal ever mentioned and would be interested! It would be the smallest ball lock ever made I would think
Here is a relevant quote from the smaller Pkal thread.
sal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 pm
Well, it's been a month/ weeks since the last post. I've been working remote (Kauai). thanx to Peter and Roque, I've got a P'Kal with a 2.25" blade. I know it's a "nasty" piece, but I think it looks "cute". I'll bring it to the Blade show.

sal

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've been using my pkal style knife as an edc for about a week now. This morning I was breaking down some boxes with it, and noticed that it suddenly felt a lot less awkward than it did a week ago.

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:12 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:21 am
Blue72 wrote:

Here is a relevant quote from the smaller Pkal thread.
sal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 pm
Well, it's been a month/ weeks since the last post. I've been working remote (Kauai). thanx to Peter and Roque, I've got a P'Kal with a 2.25" blade. I know it's a "nasty" piece, but I think it looks "cute". I'll bring it to the Blade show.

sal
Not sure how I missed this…I’m in
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I absolutely love the P’kal. I just noticed in some grappling positions the large size makes it harder to deploy. Hopefully the lil P’kal makes production. If it doesn’t I hope Sal posts a pic of the prototype so I can have a custom knife maker cut mine down in size
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I couldn't see myself using one as an actual cutting tool.

But, I really REALLY think it would be awesome if more models were drilled to accept the little wave hook rod. I would love to be able to thread that in and use it whenever I wanted and remove it when I don't. That always seemed like an awesome idea that never was perused enough, right along with the Cobra Hood.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David