how do you use your para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JCOutdoors

how do you use your para 3?

Post by JCOutdoors »

What have you been using your para 3 for? Work? General edc? Backup camping knife?all the above? Photos are a bonus, I’d love to see your knives!

I love to slice up cardboard boxes into thin strips with my g10 s45vn model. I get so much satisfaction with how well it slices and stays sharp. It feels amazing in the hand. Unfortunately I haven’t had a real use for it yet. I’m thinking about carving some small thumb sized branches later just to have a reason to use it.

Have a good weekend everybody
“There’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be” John Lennon
VooDooChild

Re: how do you use your para 3?

Post by VooDooChild »

I usually cary the lightweight as a backup to whatever Im edcing that day. It clips in the cargo pocket on shorts and doesnt bother me with banging around or feeling heavy or anything like that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I guess you could call it my beater knife. Although I don’t abuse it or use it for non-knife tasks, it sees some hard use.

My day job is mostly office tasks, so I typically carry small/slim/light knives most of the day, but when I get home and start working on my own projects around the house, I often carry my P3 maxamet.

KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

I use it left handed, right handed, right side up, upside down,.. I use it for everything.. just don't use the tip to pull the staple tag things off the end of 2x4's with it anymore.. but it seems to still work good for anything else..
JCOutdoors

Post by JCOutdoors »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 am
I usually cary the lightweight as a backup to whatever Im edcing that day. It clips in the cargo pocket on shorts and doesnt bother me with banging around or feeling heavy or anything like that.
I’ve been wanting to get one of those. Really good price for what you get. Is yours the Bd1 version? I’d love that deep carry clip
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JCOutdoors wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 am
I’ve been wanting to get one of those. Really good price for what you get. Is yours the Bd1 version? I’d love that deep carry clip
I have the bd1n version and the m4 version. GP knives has a rex45 para 3 lightweight exclusive for sale right now at a good price. Just sayin...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I cut stuff
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JCOutdoors

Post by JCOutdoors »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:37 pm
I cut stuff
But what stuff? What do you find yourself using it on the most? Is it work related? Around the house?
z1r

Post by z1r »

Majority of my knives, including the soon to be delivered P3, spend most of their time cutting; boxes, paper, opening letters, cutting string, and cutting up my lunch and snacks. Some of them will see duty as a pocket knife on hikes where they are secondary to a fixed blade I carry. No real rough duty action for any of them, no prying, etc. I just wish they had a magnifying glass built in so I didn't need bifocals, lol.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I work in IT so I I use it to cut boxes , Velcro straps, cables and other similar tasks. Sometimes I use it to get into small spaces ; not really as a pry bar but to cut off the sticking tape that we use to secure our switches to the undersides of desks. My para 3 and native 5 are ideal to carry with me to different locations (offices, branches etc). I recently used my para 3 at home to cut through a handful of washing machine cables. I had an old machine that I was breaking down before taking it to a scrap yard .

I’ve also used my para 3 around the garden to prune bushes , clip off fruit and other odds and ends.

Great knife. I find myself switching back and forth between the para 3 and native 5. The native 5 choil makes it more grippy, but the para 3 has the thumb ramp and more usable blade space.

I am ambidextrous , so I have used the para 3 in both hands. I prefer the native’s back lock for my left hand but the compression lock works fine as well.
Just one more knife...
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

My camo s30v has cut everything from insulation to cardboard to my own skin lol. It’s a work horse cutting tool for me. But my M4 and REX45 paras are my “fancy” after work and to normal life stuff. I’m savoring the day I get the nerve to start cutting crazier stuff with them but I’m keeping them nicer. If you can sharpen a knife you can use it for way more than cardboard.
MRj “Weak things break!”
kobold

Post by kobold »

My Maxamet P3 was a real user (yardwork, cardboard, garden) until one day I slapped wooden custom scales on it and now it is a gents folder, urban EDC mostly, which means I carry it when I am nicely dressed, and it sees only light use. Packaging, envelopes, fruit, stuff like that.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I am a teacher, so I often find excuses to use my knives to do my preparation work. Lately, I've been cutting laminated pouches after heating to prepare manipulation exercises for my pupils. When it's a good sharp Para 3 it cuts like a scalpel :) Imma take some pictures next time I have to cut !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

My para 3 is the most carried knife I have. The lightweight with M390 blade swapped in, is my fav.
Whittle wood, cut sisal twine, open plastic containers, cut cardboard, slice apples which I do every day.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
benben

Post by benben »

I only have one, a KnifeCenter exclusive (?). Slick black G-10 and Cru-wear. For some reason I just don’t carry it, I have maybe two or three times? I’ll always grab one of my PM2’s over it every time! Love the steel, it’s sharp as a laser but I just don’t get along with it too well…..

I did handle a LW SPY27 Para 3 at a gun show two weeks ago, had to talk myself into putting it down and walking away, it definitely felt better in hand than my G-10 version!
JCOutdoors

Post by JCOutdoors »

benben wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:26 am
I only have one, a KnifeCenter exclusive (?). Slick black G-10 and Cru-wear. For some reason I just don’t carry it, I have maybe two or three times? I’ll always grab one of my PM2’s over it every time! Love the steel, it’s sharp as a laser but I just don’t get along with it too well…..

I did handle a LW SPY27 Para 3 at a gun show two weeks ago, had to talk myself into putting it down and walking away, it definitely felt better in hand than my G-10 version!
That’s the one I’m considering next!! I love the frn color. It’s gorgeous
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

ummmmm... I would have to say... just about everything! seeing as I carry no less than 2 of them (sometimes 3. you could say I'm an itty bitty bit of a fan of the Para 3 lol) on the daily it gets used for pretty much anything and everything I need a knife for. I've got several exclusive safe queen Para 3s down to parts Para 3s and all in between. my user, currently, is the new S45VN CQI'd version. I'm not telling a ton of difference between that and the S30V version. but hey, it's a bigger number so it's gotta be better, right?

that said, I'm not a huge fan of the para 3 LW's other than I can get the exclusives with the premium blade steel usually for just over $100 and swap it out with some G10 or CF scales. lol done that twice now
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie