Tool Steel Conundrum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Tool Steel Conundrum

Post by kobold »

To me a blade with a patina is more beautiful than a SS blade, but in use I don't discriminate.
I have D2, M4, Rex45 and Maxamet blades with nice patinas and never any rust.
By using them on acidic food and never applying any protection (eg petroleum jelly) I encourage patina (but I never force it). As a result, they are not rusting.
I also pocket or IWB carry them occasionally.
Maybe it also matters that I am not storing them locked away in a safe, a drawer, or a Peli case, but on a shelf with normal air circulation?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I guess I’m lucky in that I live in a very humid state and I sweat, but I’ve only ever had some spotting on M4. Even my 1095 traditionals can be carried without rusting. I just use a bit of food grade mineral oil on them, very occasionally.

This thread helps point out how important the creation of Magnacut is to the cutlery industry. Tool steel performance with excellent corrosion resistance.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:21 am
This thread helps point out how important the creation of Magnacut is to the cutlery industry. Tool steel performance with excellent corrosion resistance.
Magnacut is great, but I still think laminated PM tool steels (like HAP-40) some advantages over Magnacut. IMO, it is nice to be able to easily grind down the primary bevels to thin out the blade after the knife has been heat treated. The downside is that the soft stainless cladding is easier to scratch. However, the scratches are easier to remove.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Earlier today I was dismayed to discover a ton of rust spots on my m4 Manix. Don’t know what I cut and didn’t clean off but it sure made its presence known.

Cut some cardboard with it, it performed well but I discovered I must have left a tiiiiiny burr intact last time I sharpened it.

Did a quick touch up, went to check sharpness, **** near shaved my whole leg by accident. Silky smooth.

Knife is still covered in rust spots.

I guess my point is…. So what?
Last edited by aaronkb on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I am very much looking forward to Magnacut, and can’t wait to get a Spyderco in one. Until then I’ll just keep trying to keep my knives oiled and embrace the rust spots!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i definitely favor stainless over tool steels. if i want a carbon steel blade, i'll get a $15 mora. i don't want to worry about my $100+ knives rusting.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sok

Post by sok »

I had been carrying an Advocate for around a year. It uses CPM-M4. A little discoloration here and there but no rust. I put it in a drawer for a month and now it is getting some surface rust on it. I guess I will take a wire wheel to it and get rid of the rust.

I think I am in the minority, but I don’t like to use lubricants on my knives. Especially users. The lube seems to attract dirt and dust. I usually take my knives apart and clean them. In a pinch, if I get a folder wet, or dirt and grime are interfering with the action, I will drench it with WD40 and shake it dry until I get a chance to take it apart. The WD is more about cleaning and moisture displacement than lubrication.
paladin

Post by paladin »

When you're hiking in the SE U.S. ... rust proof is highly desirable ... SE SpyderHawk is my constant companion IWB when trail running. Hasn't let me down, not once.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Half a summer’s day on the coastline and I’ll get red rust on M4. Still a fan of tool steels!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!