Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Snacktime

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Snacktime »

Jade G10 Spydercos are kind okay, not a scale color that is pocket candy or luxury like micarta. I modded my Lil native and really didn't like how it took the dye, but I am much happier with the look vs plane jade. Then I have M4 tanto Pm2 just collecting dust NIB because it's just not me.

I also ground down my ATR 2 to make it more stretch like. Took the knife to a more usable level for my bigger hands and got rid of the rhino horn the kept poking me in my pocket.

I would like to see Spyderco sell more combination of handles and blades. Sprints and exclusives do a good job but Spyderco can offer more that any of our wallets could handle!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
vivi

Post by vivi »

something happened to me today I never expected.

i cut something with my native chief, then went to unlock the compression lock.

oh wait.

never thought id see the day my muscle memory would be in tune with a comp lock more than a back lock.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm

oh wait.

never thought id see the day my muscle memory would be in tune with a comp lock more than a back lock.

See man I'm really torn on that feeling, because I do enjoy different locks and I enjoy the mechanisms and how they work and things like that, but I absolutely hate that brain fart feeling when you fumble around looking for the wrong lock or wrong lock placement or whatever. In my job it can even be dangerous so it's something I think about a lot when I switch knives and it's a big part of why I don't rotate my work knife very often. I don't really care so much on my days off but at work it's usually quick and dirty and I need to be able to function with the muddiest of motor skills.

I've really been thinking lately that going forward my work knife is probably going to stay one knife permanently for this reason, and it'll likely be an Autonomy 1.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Not a lock mixup, but I recently got a Spydiechef. The first few times I opened the knife, I kept trying to put my next finger in the nonexistent choil. Lucky I didn’t cut myself.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've done this a couple times over the years after carrying a specific lock type for a couple weeks at a time. I'll tell ya what, nothing more scary than getting used to knives with a choil, then reaching to choke up on a knife without one!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:38 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:25 pm

oh wait.

See man I'm really torn on that feeling, because I do enjoy different locks and I enjoy the mechanisms and how they work and things like that, but I absolutely hate that brain fart feeling when you fumble around looking for the wrong lock or wrong lock placement or whatever. In my job it can even be dangerous so it's something I think about a lot when I switch knives and it's a big part of why I don't rotate my work knife very often. I don't really care so much on my days off but at work it's usually quick and dirty and I need to be able to function with the muddiest of motor skills.

I've really been thinking lately that going forward my work knife is probably going to stay one knife permanently for this reason, and it'll likely be an Autonomy 1.
I can understand that. I'm usually pretty busy at work so I like a knife I can use fast with zero fuss. For me that's the Pacific Salt, because I can easily open and close it one handed, and can worry about cleaning it off when things slow down.

Outside of work I carry a wider variety of locks. Past two months have basically been Pacific Salt on the clock and Yojumbo otherwise, but a Millie or Manix XL sneaks its way in once in a while.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Do y'all also get rivet trails on your DLC blades from inserting and removing from your pocket; rivets on your jeans leaving trails on the spine or top portion of the DLC coated blade?

So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:01 am
Do y'all also get rivet trails on your DLC blades from inserting and removing from your pocket; rivets on your jeans leaving trails on the spine or top portion of the DLC coated blade?

I have before. Most of the time that will polish off with a little elbow grease, at least when dealing with actually DLC.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

That sort of stuff will easily rub off. I have it happen with keys sometimes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would normally agree, but those marks were very persistent. They had been there since the first week I had the knife, and I had tried scrub sponges, Bon Ami, soap, oils, etc.

Tonight, I tried a magic eraser and got most of it off, the Shaman is really the only DLC blade I still have and carry.
So it goes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Getting my things together before I travel out to Colorado for the seconds sale and trying to decide which knife to bring. Last year I brought the Roadie and the year before that I brought the Wharncliffe Dragonfly.

I'm flying out and bringing a checked bag, which knife would you bring? :bug-white-red
-Nick :bug-red
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Airlsee wrote:

No DLC here, but I get them on my G10.Image
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

JakeXman wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:43 pm
Airlsee wrote:

No DLC here, but I get them on my G10.Image
Yes same here. Brass rivets on my pants leave golden snail trails on G10. Haven’t tried cleaning it off, doesn’t really bother me, but would expect it to remove easily?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I carry my knives in my back right pocket, so no I’ve never gotten rivet rub.
Geo-Ozeki

Post by Geo-Ozeki »

I skipped a deal on a Yojumbo yesterday from Lamnia. I don’t own a Yojimbo and think this is the classic that I should own (possibly in a sprint). It is lower on my list as this is not a knife I can open carry but will get used at home.

Have been kicking myself today for not buying it. I have a Manix XL that I got and am starting to love more than my Manix LW.

Qu: is the relationship between the Manix & Manix XL the same as the Yojimbo-jumbo? If I am only getting one or the other should I stick with the Yojimbo? Or, if you going to get one, go big?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Geo-Ozeki wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:07 am
I skipped a deal on a Yojumbo yesterday from Lamnia. I don’t own a Yojimbo and think this is the classic that I should own (possibly in a sprint). It is lower on my list as this is not a knife I can open carry but will get used at home.

Have been kicking myself today for not buying it. I have a Manix XL that I got and am starting to love more than my Manix LW.

Qu: is the relationship between the Manix & Manix XL the same as the Yojimbo-jumbo? If I am only getting one or the other should I stick with the Yojimbo? Or, if you going to get one, go big?

Depends what you use your knives the most for and if you don't mind carrying big ones. If you like the XL Manix more than the regular size, then yeah, probably get the large one. :smlling-eyes
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've got a bunch of stuff on my Autonomy at the moment, some may be actual scratches but most will likely rub off. The back side and the big mark on the front are white paint from a 4Runner bumper lol.

I did notice some brass looking scratches around the "thumb hole", I have no idea where they came from because my work pants don't have rivets.

~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:46 pm
I’m not sure why back pocket carry isn’t more popular. I’ve been carrying a knife that way for twenty years now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
I’m not sure why back pocket carry isn’t more popular. I’ve been carrying a knife that way for twenty years now.

I really like a Military in my right back pocket but at work I carry my flashlight in that spot otherwise I probably would carry there more often.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
I find the side pocket to be more comfortable than the front or back. I only buy shorts and pants that have pockets on the right side. Not cargo pockets though, the knives flop around too much in those.