Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Mushroom »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:03 pm
https://youtu.be/rgYby0IJSVs
You gotta love Adam Savage!
Interesting video, thanks for sharing. I like the changes he made. One thing I noticed was that he mentioned the artist Tom Sachs and how he helped him put together an art exhibit called “Space Program.” That’s the same art exhibit that Spyderco made the white FRN Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, and Ladybug for.

I did some research last year, there’s more info on Tom Sachs’ “Space Program” art exhibit here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80212&start=120#p1526002
-Nick :bug-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:57 pm
Where are you in your knife journey?

This forum runs the gamut...

Where are you now, what has changed since you started, and what keeps you coming back to the knife life?

Your biggest change of view since beginning? Or maybe, what you've had right all along that the rest of the knife world has yet to realize...please share with us!

I am getting pretty settled and comfortable in my own personal 'quadrinity' (Victorinox/Spyderco/Bark River/CRK). I mostly have the knives I want, but there are still a few I am waiting and hoping for, like a mid-sized Native, or a Military with a liner lock in MC. There might be still a spot for another serrated knife in the collection..

And it is not all about acquiring new knives. Sharpening methods, cool mods, new (to me) designs, new materials are part of the fun. Of course using and sharpening knives will always remain an inevitability and that in itself will keep my interest.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:31 am
Airlsee wrote:

Where are you now, what has changed since you started, and what keeps you coming back to the knife life?

Your biggest change of view since beginning? Or maybe, what you've had right all along that the rest of the knife world has yet to realize...please share with us!

I am getting pretty settled and comfortable in my own personal 'quadrinity' (Victorinox/Spyderco/Bark River/CRK). I mostly have the knives I want, but there are still a few I am waiting and hoping for, like a mid-sized Native, or a Military with a liner lock in MC. There might be still a spot for another serrated knife in the collection..

And it is not all about acquiring new knives. Sharpening methods, cool mods, new (to me) designs, new materials are part of the fun. Of course using and sharpening knives will always remain an inevitability and that in itself will keep my interest.
What do you mean by mid sized Native ?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Xformer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:28 am
kobold wrote:
Airlsee wrote:

A desired 3.5" model halfway in size between the Native and the Native Chief:

Last edited by kobold on Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

A midsize would work for me . Sort of like the Endela between the Delica and Endura. I like the idea .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A mid size, handle forward/no choil model would be nice.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am
A midsize would work for me . Sort of like the Endela between the Delica and Endura. I like the idea .

A goldilocks knife just like the Endela.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:13 am
Xformer wrote:
kobold wrote:
Airlsee wrote:

That's creepy I was literally just talking about this...
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:05 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am

A goldilocks knife just like the Endela.
It sounds perfect to me.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kobold

Post by kobold »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 am

That's creepy I was literally just talking about this...

It is called spychronicity :bug-white :smlling-eyes
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:13 am
Xformer wrote:
kobold wrote:
Airlsee wrote:

That would be perfect. Sal, if you can read me, please make it happen.

Where did you get that picture ? Is it a real prototype ?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Xformer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Just stretched the Native a bit in Gimp.

The original shot.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:36 pm
Xformer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Just stretched the Native a bit in Gimp.

The original shot.
Looks completely seamless, good job my friend.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

You've found the in-between N5 and Chief then ! A PM2 lol.
Or a SS Stretch 2 to keep the backlock.

With more seriousness, I'd love any addition to the Native line.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Endela would serve nicely in that role, with the backlock and comparable size to the PM2.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

After spending some time with the Endela and Endura. I would just rather have the Endura with the extra blade. Real estate in the pocket and weight are indistinguishable for me. I feel the same for a mid-sized Native. I would just prefer the Chief. That being said, with the popularity of the PM2 and Endela sizes, I would imagine a mid-sized Native would be very popular and good for Spyderco.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:38 pm
After spending some time with the Endela and Endura. I would just rather have the Endura with the extra blade. Real estate in the pocket and weight are indistinguishable for me. I feel the same for a mid-sized Native. I would just prefer the Chief. That being said, with the popularity of the PM2 and Endela sizes, I would imagine a mid-sized Native would be very popular and good for Spyderco.
Definitely. The Native Chief seems a little bigger lengthwise than what I typically like to carry and the native a tad smaller. How does the Chief compare with the Endura?
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:04 pm
JSumm wrote:
Definitely. The Native Chief seems a little bigger lengthwise than what I typically like to carry and the native a tad smaller. How does the Chief compare with the Endura?
They're essentially the same size closed. The difference is 2mm.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Paraguy wrote:
JSumm wrote:
Don't have the Chief yet. It was the next on my list, if the Stretch XL does not mess up my lineup.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:55 pm
Paraguy wrote:
JSumm wrote:
They're essentially the same size closed. The difference is 2mm.
I probably wouldn't carry anything bigger than the Endura very often unless I loved the knife. I'm also not sure how I feel about no steel liners. Does it disappear in the pocket the same way the Endura does? I've heard some people say its basically an improvement on it. Apparently its a big-time sleeper. If these rumors are true it sounds like if I got one It could kick my Endura completely.
"Some call me...Tim?"