Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevinim82

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:55 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 pm
I feel like I won't have the perfect knife for me until I design it myself. Maybe that sounds a little full of myself, it just seems like my preferences are pretty specific and the odds aren't in my favor. I'm forever optimistic and excited for new models but even my most favorite designs have small details I'd change about them if I could.
I've come to realize there's a difference between theoretically perfect, and sufficient to meet all of my needs.

The Pacific Salt isn't perfect. The massive hump on the spine ruins certain grips for me VS my Chiefs. But it's perfect for my uses, in the sense I know without a doubt I can carry one every day of the year and have it easily meet 100% of my pocket knife needs.

Oh definitely. Actually if you think about that's what we're all literally doing whether we realize it or not, we're making due with what we have whether we think it's the best or not, so the fact that I'm doing fine day by day with what I have tells me everything I need to know about actual needs, the rest that would make it perfect are more preference details than anything. It's a fine example of thinking the grass is greener somewhere else. Maybe someday we'll all look back after having never found anything better and laugh and realize we had "the one" all along.
Very profound David. For those on this forum, I think we all have a lot of “the one.” And we are looking for another one and another one.

Warning. Saturday coffee rant. Warning.

I think if you are on the Spyderco forum, or any knife forum…
1. You like a great tool.
2. The tool might be a fidget toy.
3. You have pocket jewelry.
4. You are collecting.
5. You might have caught the bug… in the case of this forum, the enjoyment of having a hole in your knife.
6. Shaun Houston might have taught you to chase the edge, and you are only so close to cropping hair with factory geometry.
7. You’ve contemplated forging your own knife/you have forged your own knife.
8. Dealer exclusives are the adult version of baseball card collecting. I know how to appreciate a hologram Nolan Ryan MVP card… hidden in a book sleeve, in a desk drawer, and only seen a few times a year!

We have strange habits in this hobby.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:55 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 pm
I feel like I won't have the perfect knife for me until I design it myself. Maybe that sounds a little full of myself, it just seems like my preferences are pretty specific and the odds aren't in my favor. I'm forever optimistic and excited for new models but even my most favorite designs have small details I'd change about them if I could.
I've come to realize there's a difference between theoretically perfect, and sufficient to meet all of my needs.

The Pacific Salt isn't perfect. The massive hump on the spine ruins certain grips for me VS my Chiefs. But it's perfect for my uses, in the sense I know without a doubt I can carry one every day of the year and have it easily meet 100% of my pocket knife needs.

Oh definitely. Actually if you think about that's what we're all literally doing whether we realize it or not, we're making due with what we have whether we think it's the best or not, so the fact that I'm doing fine day by day with what I have tells me everything I need to know about actual needs, the rest that would make it perfect are more preference details than anything. It's a fine example of thinking the grass is greener somewhere else. Maybe someday we'll all look back after having never found anything better and laugh and realize we had "the one" all along.
Recognizing that “perfect” corrodes the “good enough” is no small accomplishment. I’m still working on believing it, but every step closer convinces me that liberation is the reward. OCD undermines my effort; Spyderco makes this effort achievable.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

Who owns a McBee? How do you like it? With or without a lanyard?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

kobold wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:00 pm
I own several and absolutely love them. I carry it as a backup knife often and end up using it more than my primary knife because of how convenient it is. Actually, I just used the McBee to help carve a couple pumpkins. The one I carry most is clipless with a small leather fob tied on.
-Nick :bug-red
kobold

Post by kobold »

Sounds good! I also like to remove the clip and use a slip with my small folders. Can't wait to pick it up. I almost went for the DF Tattoo, but I have nothing this small.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:12 am
8. Dealer exclusives are the adult version of baseball card collecting. I know how to appreciate a hologram Nolan Ryan MVP card… hidden in a book sleeve, in a desk drawer, and only seen a few times a year!
For some people. The first thing I did when I got my latest Spyderco dealer exclusive was dye the scales.

How would that Nolan Ryan card fare with a silly mustache drawn on him?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Now that it has been mentionned, I do tend to draw silly mustaches on my jade G10 spydies...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:13 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
For some people. The first thing I did when I got my latest Spyderco dealer exclusive was dye the scales.

I have to seriously contemplate the value of a Nolan Ryan baseball card with a mustache drawn on it! Hahahahaha! I think that would be value added for sure!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:28 am
Rp5 wrote:
Kevinim82 wrote:

I have to seriously contemplate the value of a Nolan Ryan baseball card with a mustache drawn on it! Hahahahaha! I think that would be value added for sure!
If Nolan himself drew it, it's worth A LOT!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Rp5 wrote:

Right on, brother. This morning I was reading an article in the latest issue of Shooting Illustrated. Tamara Keel wrote about one of her carry guns. I forget what it was, but it started off life as a beautiful, expensive firearm. It's seen a lot of use, as evidenced by the worn finish. She wrote of other gun enthusiasts, who might buy the same gun, take it out of the box with cotton gloves to look at it, and then lock it away in the safe until the day they sold it in it's original condition. Of course it's their gun, and it's their business what they do with it.

The Spyderco I'm currently carrying was an exclusive that I bought new for under two bills. I dyed it to my liking, change the edge within the first week, and if it gets scuffed, scratched, beat up, and blemished, I don't care. I've derived more than two bills worth of smiles just from using it on simple tasks.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The Spyderco App is still giving me issues.
I receive the notifications for drops, and the main page is displaying stuff.
However, even after having waited a month and even reinstalled it twice, the catalog does not display anything.

I tried researching "Para 3" to see if I could get to the knives by the search engine, but it says "Sorry, no products meet your criteria. Try removing some of your filters".
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:33 am
However, even after having waited a month and even reinstalled it twice, the catalog does not display anything.

I tried researching "Para 3" to see if I could get to the knives by the search engine, but it says "Sorry, no products meet your criteria. Try removing some of your filters".
I just noticed that the app/catalog now works on both my iPhone and my Samsung (Android). I can't remember which one it wasn't working on previously. I think it was the iPhone? Regardless, it's working on both devices now
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kobold wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:00 pm
It's a cool little knife but mine sits in a drawer. I carry my Manbugs daily and I'd take the the Wharncliffe version over the McBee any day
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ramonade wrote:

I just installed in my iPhone and I get brief flash of that message then I get the results using "para 3" as the search term.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:08 am
Ramonade wrote:

I just installed in my iPhone and I get brief flash of that message then I get the results using "para 3" as the search term.
Since you wrote this, I tried to let it be after that error message but no shot. Maybe it's a location thing ? Anyways, I'll try again next month.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:04 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Since you wrote this, I tried to let it be after that error message but no shot. Maybe it's a location thing ? Anyways, I'll try again next month.
Try your phone with wifi on, then wifi off. This will test if it is a DNS issue or if there is some block in place on certain IP numbers.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:07 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:04 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Ramonade wrote:

Try your phone with wifi on, then wifi off. This will test if it is a DNS issue or if there is some block in place on certain IP numbers.
Thanks for the help, I just did it and the app behaves the same with or without wifi. The weird thing is that this only concerns the catalog (the best thing IMO :squinting-tongue )

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:14 pm

Thanks for the help, I just did it and the app behaves the same with or without wifi. The weird thing is that this only concerns the catalog (the best thing IMO :squinting-tongue )
Hmm. Do you have any ad-blockers running on your phone? I have found that sometimes they break things unintentionally by blocking the servers that house the images for things like online catalogs.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:19 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:14 pm

Hmm. Do you have any ad-blockers running on your phone? I have found that sometimes they break things unintentionally by blocking the servers that house the images for things like online catalogs.
None, i barely use my cellphone, it's an Android and a pretty recent one (Samsung S20 FE IIRC)

SG89

Post by SG89 »

So yeah, not sure if Ramzar visits this thread, but.... When is the last time a "new" model was released and available for sale ? I'm jonesing for a new spydie model. Gimme dat new swick or whatever new things they haven't announced yet.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb