Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Haunted House wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:41 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:21 pm
Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.
The Sog Pentagon comes to mind. I had one 20+ years ago.

I used to have the folder pentagon that had just the tip of the top of the blade sharpened.
I always thought it was kind of cool.

3DF0BF3E-03A8-49BD-A2EB-B61FCC9799FD.jpeg
Reminds me of my Spartan Ultratech
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.

Am I your Huckleberry?!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Evil D wrote:

Am I your Huckleberry?!

Yeah I believe that's the one. I'm not sure I need the ring but I'd buy the rest for sure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Agreed, drop the ring for a pommel. Interesting.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like it. I could live without the ring.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Is it just me or are the stickies getting to be a bit much? Takes up the whole page at this point.

:unicorn
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:36 am
Is it just me or are the stickies getting to be a bit much? Takes up the whole page at this point.

I had that exact thought when browsing on my phone this morning.
So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's a few that really don't need to be there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

vivi wrote:
In general, I find the site to be difficult to use. But I'm not 25, and I wasn't born on the Internet.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I look for the new reveal sticky everyday.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:27 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:41 am
Good to know I'm not the only one! :cheap-sunglasses
I don’t mod either…unless an actual problem presents itself.

I did swap in Cuscadi scales to escape my Urban’s spinning pivot and my Pingo’s absurdly slick titanium handles.

I actively dislike aftermarket clips.

If a design does not appeal to me, I won’t buy it to change it. I just won’t buy it.
The Cuscadi experiment with my titanium Pingo proved very unsatisfying.

The micarta scales were just a bit off compared to the original titanium ones so the opening/closing action got really undefined and barely had a self-close. Grrr.

Fortunately, someone here discovered Way of Knife (https://www.wayofknife.com/) and I followed up. For a reasonable cost, they de-anodized the garish artwork, tumbled the result, and I now have the slippie I actually wanted (with no prospect for Maniago’s spinning-pivot issue).

In you have an FRN Pingo and want a free set of dark green micarta scales, PM me your address.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

vivi wrote:

I will say I've never been happy browsing anything on my phone. Site looks fine and dandy on my desktop and laptop though.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Playing some Overwatch and there is another player named Knifey Wifey.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm
Dazen wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Evil D wrote:

Am I your Huckleberry?!

Yeah I believe that's the one. I'm not sure I need the ring but I'd buy the rest for sure.

I’m all for any changes to this design, but what I gathered in the past is Sal is not interested in a daggers style blade. But maybe he has come around since then!!!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

For most everyday users or military personnel, just putting 2 behind Military will kill the sales of the Military Model 1...

My point in posting the unnecessary thread was just that, even when given the chance, the older users and longtime Military users won't readily point out the differences or defend the older model or be comfortable posting photos while giving experiences behind their opinions to the uninformed (who are/will be lurking here). It's just if you don't know, you don't know...

The Military Model 1 is iconic to those who have been able to own and experience it previously but most of those who appreciate the model are not vocal members who will post forcefully or make purchases just to keep it in production...

To the rest of the public, 2 means better...

The Military Model 2 has already won...S30V is enough for everyday Joe (plus KOTY honors) and the Military 2 is a fantastic model that will be offered at a lower price point.

Eric knows what he is saying when he says we will see/for now...

The vocal minority already has their Military Models, and stock has been depleted for years. There's no worry about moving the small amount of future stock to appease the Military Model 1 faithful. I truly look forward to hearing about any Millie Model 1 sprints/exclusives on the horizon and hope that dealers realize there are at least a few runs just for the Spydie faithful to appease, but I'm not super optimistic...
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It is an interesting question to entertain- will there be sprints and exclusives of the M1, and will they sell out quickly and be bought out by the flippers to resell on epay? I would think that beyond the core group of Spyderholics that you are right, the buying public will go for the M2. Too many place a priority on fidget factor, too few seem to actually use these knives in a working environment.

We have members here who really do put these knives to work, but most don’t really. How many will cut car bumper covers, or countless pallet straps? These are tough knives meant to work. I’d just like to see more of that. A “Dirty Jobs” inspired action thread. Not “I opened the mail” with my fancy pigsticker.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I love you Woodpuppy haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:53 am
We have members here who really do put these knives to work, but most don’t really. How many will cut car bumper covers, or countless pallet straps? These are tough knives meant to work. I’d just like to see more of that. A “Dirty Jobs” inspired action thread. Not “I opened the mail” with my fancy pigsticker.
While I'm not yet ready to profess my love, I can fully understand and completely endorse this wish...

Honestly, a dirty jobs thread sounds like a great idea, and there's no reason it should be limited to the Military model...
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:55 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:53 am
While I'm not yet ready to profess my love, I can fully understand and completely endorse this wish...

Honestly, a dirty jobs thread sounds like a great idea, and there's no reason it should be limited to the Military model...

I haven't been following very closely but I thought Vivi's "Just Cuts" thread was basically this?

You could say I cut car bumpers for a living lol. It's honestly not as hard use as it sounds, just depends on the car, it's just urethane but some are definitely built more thick and sturdy than others.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

My problem with posting about hard knife use is that when I’m doing it, I don’t really have time to stop and take a picture of my knife. That’s when it’s time to G.S.D! It’s only when I’m doing menial cutting tasks that I even think about “I should stop to take a photo of my knife to show off online.”

I guess posting feedback about the knife used, after the hard work is done, would be a good way to start.
-Nick :bug-red