Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JakeXman

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by JakeXman »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:49 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:46 pm
I carry my knives in my back right pocket, so no I’ve never gotten rivet rub.
I’m not sure why back pocket carry isn’t more popular. I’ve been carrying a knife that way for twenty years now.
I used to only carry back pocket, but now I switch between back pocket carry and RFP. My yojimbo has been banished to the front pocket after one too many experiences with it coming open times and stabbing my hand webbing upon reaching for it. I’ll keep that heavy, pointy blade snugged up against a seam! My endura or UKPK happily ride along in the back pocket though.
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have never carried any knife (or much of anything else) in a back pocket. I hate sitting down on anything in my back pocket. Also, IMO, things in back pockets are more easily snatched or lost.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I stopped clipping anything on my pants pockets years ago.* Too much attention is not a good thing, better to be the "grey man". Besides, IWB on your center line is better if you are going to need it while in harms way.

*Except when actively using it for many cuts. When done, it goes back to a more hidden and secure location.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I used to be quite the gear head and I think I started carrying in my back pocket so I wouldn’t scratch paint while leaning under the hood.

In twenty years I haven’t lost a knife yet. I ride a motorcycle a lot and I figured I would lose one on the bike at some point but I haven’t.

I have a narrow backside and I find that when I sit down that I don’t actually sit on it. Another reason back pocket works for me is that I carry my wallet in my front pocket to protect my spinal alignment.

I don’t feel as though I need to hide my knife. Everybody carries a pocket knife around here. Back pocket carry is probably a bad idea if you need to worry about pick pockets, I don’t.

It sounds like I am trying to sell back pocket carry. I don’t really care how others carry. It just surprises me how little I see it mentioned.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm pretty sure Deacon said he is a back pocket carrier as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:47 am
I'm pretty sure Deacon said he is a back pocket carrier as well.

Paul is a sideways, loose in the back pocket guy, and I have no idea how his butt and hip aren't permanently deformed from sitting on a Stretch all these years 🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Military is the only one that always goes into the back pocket, because of size and clip position.

I don't carry back pocket often because I've scratched cars and leather seats inadvertently by forgetting about the clip hanging out of the back of my pants.
So it goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:58 am
I have a narrow backside and I find that when I sit down that I don’t actually sit on it. Another reason back pocket works for me is that I carry my wallet in my front pocket to protect my spinal alignment.

I don’t feel as though I need to hide my knife. Everybody carries a pocket knife around here. Back pocket carry is probably a bad idea if you need to worry about pick pockets, I don’t.
My experience is the same here.

One thing I disliked about back pocket carry with the Millie is I found the jimping wanted to catch on the edge of my pocket depending on the angle of my draw. But then again I've had that happen in my front pocket too.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

A cop friend of mine used to enjoy picking friends’ pockets and making a joke about it. Most of the time, people didn’t even notice, until he showed them what he’d picked to their faces. A favorite target of his was clip knives, which he carried one, too. But he wasn’t an AFI or anything. His technique was very quick and light, just like a good pickpocket. On a couple occasions, he actually snatched knives *clipped to my front pocket.* If it had been my back pocket, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed, and I’m pretty aware. The third (and last) time he tried it, I sensed his hand coming over, and I reflexively hit the back of his hand with an extended knuckle fist. It injured the back of his hand, and he never tried that with me again. He was off-duty and shouldn’t have tried picking my pocket, anyway.

😜

But I still won’t carry anything in my back pocket, other than maybe a bit of Kleenex/facial tissue.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:18 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
I’m not sure why back pocket carry isn’t more popular. I’ve been carrying a knife that way for twenty years now.
I find the side pocket to be more comfortable than the front or back. I only buy shorts and pants that have pockets on the right side. Not cargo pockets though, the knives flop around too much in those.
That’s where my phone goes! Light usually goes in a left pocket, whether shirt or pants. Keys also go left side. Keeps the dominant hand free…
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I reserve my back pocket for those occasions I already have a knife in both front pockets.

For example sometimes I'll have a knife in both pockets already, and a friend gives me their knife to take home and sharpen. In the back pocket it goes.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've carried mine that way too, and I agree...it's a really comfortable way to carry!
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Because wallet?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:41 am
Because wallet?

Doesn't stop me, but I carry a flashlight in that spot more often than a knife, and usually only at work.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I use to carry Spydercos clipless in my back pocket vertical next to my wallet. Stopped working well when I switched to a slimmer wallet, and was never ideal for when being active. Talkin knives like the Millie and C95, not small models.

Anyways this is how my pockets are typically loaded up:

Front left: Keys with nitecore tip 2. chapstick, leatherman micra, & a large flashlight clipped if I'm carrying one that day
Front right: phone
Rear left: nothing
Rear right: slim, narrow wallet that rides past my sit bones
side right pocket: folding knife

That's in regular pants / shorts. If I'm wearing my tru-spec 24/7's with extra pockets I'll often add some extras, like a leatherman rebar, small pair of headphones etc.

If I'm in running shorts, keys front left, phone front right, knife clipped IWB. Phone and keys go in my pack eventually.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll put it there since it might be adequate : I ordered a $49 s90v knife and received a $90 s90v knife. It's a good day.
My Maxamet wallet is happy !

PS : I also did a Ti hardware conversion on my basic para 3. Had the parts for like a year and never did go through. Only problem was the stop pin, it made the knife go in terrible lock stick. Only thing left is the stock stop pin then. I was afraid of the lanyard tube making noise : impossible with how darn hard it was to install!!! Way more than the stock tube.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:41 am
Because wallet?
Wallet goes in left back pocket, keys in left front. Dominant hand is kept free to reach for knife or pistol. All other junk goes on left side.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm almost the same except my junk pocket and my keys pocket are reversed. I carried my Endura in my wallet pocket the other night and forgot it was there. Tonight is the Delica's turn.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

No clips here, but I'm looking for a leather or nylon pouch, the knife either bangs around with keys or scratches my phone screen...
Monty

Post by Monty »

I try not to criticize Spyderco too often, the last time I was recall was with the ugly left hand carry clip holes on the swayback and I'm over that.

One thing has been bugging me for a while though, I would like to add a trainer Delica to the collection but I just cannot get over the price on the trainers. $84 for the Delica, $154 for the Yojimbo, $217 for the P'kal.

Anyone else feel like these are about twice what they should be?