Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Ramonade »

Here's an attempt at showing what I observed.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:22 am
I returned a SpydieChef for rock lock. Worst I'd ever seen in any frame lock. A definite oddball in my experience with Spyderco, unfortunately. It has been the only Spyderco lock that I did not trust, and I've owned or handled a pretty fair number of Spydies over the years. Maybe there are some challenges to lock geometry that the knife's overall design causes?
Did you have it replaced? What's the end of the story?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:23 am
Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:22 am
I returned a SpydieChef for rock lock. Worst I'd ever seen in any frame lock. A definite oddball in my experience with Spyderco, unfortunately. It has been the only Spyderco lock that I did not trust, and I've owned or handled a pretty fair number of Spydies over the years. Maybe there are some challenges to lock geometry that the knife's overall design causes?
Did you have it replaced? What's the end of the story?
I just returned it to the retailer. Didn't really like the design once I got to handle it anyway.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So is it too early to speculate on what will be in the next Reveal?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MrGibson

Post by MrGibson »

So after having at least one Spyderco in my EDC rotation since 1999, I finally bought my first Military. Just the plain s30v g10 model.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

It always looked too big, and I’m ashamed to say I never asked to handle one at a shop.

But now that I’ve got it—it’s intriguing to me that the area where the hand goes it identical to the manix 2. From from the front of choil to the back where the handle starts to curves down.

So in hand, it feels like a (skinny) manix 2, but so much more blade.

I now understand all of you who’ve been singing it’s praises forever. Glad I finally got one!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Never too early for that. (At least I think so 😆).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I got my first Military in either late '90s or beginning of the 2000s, the old 440V Military. It was in a local knife shop. I had originally intended to buy the Starmate that was next to it. The store owner laid them on the glass counter so I could handle them side-by-side.

I tried both back and forth, and kept coming back to the Military. It felt so much more comfortable in my hand. I'd known the store owner, and he said, "It looks to me like you're connecting more with the Military than the Starmate." And the rest was history. I own 4 Militaries, but never did get a Starnate.

Jim
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

MrGibson wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:04 am
So after having at least one Spyderco in my EDC rotation since 1999, I finally bought my first Military. Just the plain s30v g10 model.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?

It always looked too big, and I’m ashamed to say I never asked to handle one at a shop.

But now that I’ve got it—it’s intriguing to me that the area where the hand goes it identical to the manix 2. From from the front of choil to the back where the handle starts to curves down.

So in hand, it feels like a (skinny) manix 2, but so much more blade.

I now understand all of you who’ve been singing it’s praises forever. Glad I finally got one!
Bought many Spydercos before finally grabbing a Military. I have to say that for actual work around the home and outside, it's gonna be my go to if I don't go for a fixed blade.
It's just perfect in use, no matter if I have naked hands or any gloves, it goes in the back right pocket in and out without having to look.
And even if my hands look awfully small for the knife, holding it is a dream. My GB2 is gonna get jealous really really fast.

(Sorry for the SpydieChef ramble. I ended up creating a thread, wich was really helpful. Thanks everyone.)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I ran into a coworker at the mall a few days ago. When she asked why I was there, I told her I had bought a new pocket knife. She asked another coworker yesterday if I "was angry" since I bought and carry a pocket knife. Never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded people are. Every tech we have in the field carries one for work. Guess we're all angry. Ridiculous. Sheeple
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:31 pm
I ran into a coworker at the mall a few days ago. When she asked why I was there, I told her I had bought a new pocket knife. She asked another coworker yesterday if I "was angry" since I bought and carry a pocket knife. Never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded people are. Every tech we have in the field carries one for work. Guess we're all angry. Ridiculous. Sheeple
They are out there. And usually the first to ask you for help when they need a knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:20 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:31 pm
They are out there. And usually the first to ask you for help when they need a knife.
Very true
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:41 pm

Thin Blue Line Police
Ayoob Sprint
Leaf Jumper
Crucarta Para 3
lil' Kapara
Counter Doggie
:thinking
•• Beau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:49 pm
SG89 wrote:

Thin Blue Line Police
Ayoob Sprint
Leaf Jumper
Crucarta Para 3
lil' Kapara
Counter Doggie
:thinking
Native Chief Lightweight
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m speculating that the next reveal will be a “soft” reveal, with one single product.
-Nick :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

SG89 wrote:

Hopefully something new and exciting; I've been entirely content with my Spydie collection for much too long...
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Have you scratched the primary bevel while sharpening? Do you have a horror story or picture you would be willing to share? How much do you value blade aesthetics vs function?

I feel like most of us have been there, and many of us value symmetry and aesthetics far more than is necessary, but also that that one slip which marks the steel can be extremely frustrating...

Leather is another unforgiving medium...anyway, I'm just curious to hear y'all's experiences.

This one sparked the thought, it wasn't egregious but it was unintentional while reprofiling freehand...
So it goes.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

Not a sharpening story, but . . .

It started when I thought I could knock down the edges on the Spydie hole on this Delica 4 in 20cv using the rods from a Sharpmaker.

I should not have attempted this while sampling a very fine blanco from Arandas.

Needless to say, I've been placed on probation and sentenced to do 100 hours of community knife work.

Note: Orange jumpsuits suck.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm fine with my knives showing scratches and signs of use.

My biggest sharpening mistake was grinding off a small sliver of aluminum handle scale near the pivot on this Kershaw using the Worksharp Ken Onion motorized system. I've since opted to stick with whetstones or the Sharpmaker for small knives.
knockout_worksharp_booboo.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:29 pm

My biggest sharpening mistake was grinding off a small sliver of aluminum handle scale near the pivot on this Kershaw using the Worksharp Ken Onion motorized system. I've since opted to stick with whetstones or the Sharpmaker for small knives.knockout_worksharp_booboo.jpg

I'd get a sanding sponge and "antique" the whole handle, sand down all the edges and brush the finish.

Sorta like this Hinderer.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:15 am
mikey177 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:29 pm

My biggest sharpening mistake was grinding off a small sliver of aluminum handle scale near the pivot on this Kershaw using the Worksharp Ken Onion motorized system. I've since opted to stick with whetstones or the Sharpmaker for small knives.knockout_worksharp_booboo.jpg

I'd get a sanding sponge and "antique" the whole handle, sand down all the edges and brush the finish.

Sorta like this Hinderer.

Wow, that looks amazing. Feels like it's beyond my current skill level, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!