Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Airlsee »

Where indeed?
Last edited by Airlsee on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

--
So it goes.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Any news of the PITS ETA?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:21 pm
Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.
The Sog Pentagon comes to mind. I had one 20+ years ago.

Not sure how I missed this comment but that's awesome.

I'd really love to see something like this done in a similar fashion as the ARK, maybe sized between an ARK and a Street Beat, for a slightly bigger neck knife option.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Skar

Post by Skar »

To the other comment...
I carry one knife I also don't have use for a fixed blade.
I can't seem to carry a fixed comfortably.
I did have one in my pack and realized that I never used it.

So there is one among you.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Do you have a time when being a knife knut saved the day? Let's hear about those experiences that reinforce our obsession! :winking-tongue
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.

One problem, I see with I design like this is that on larger knives serrations put a lot of stress on the blade when used for chopping and wood processing tasks. I could see it as a fishing/sailing knife though.

I'd really love to see something like this done in a similar fashion as the ARK, maybe sized between an ARK and a Street Beat, for a slightly bigger neck knife option.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

One potential problem I see with I design like this is that on larger knives serrations put a lot of stress on the blade when used for chopping and wood processing tasks. I could see it as a fishing/sailing knife though.
"Some call me...Tim?"
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Oops!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:11 pm
Do you have a time when being a knife knut saved the day? Let's hear about those experiences that reinforce our obsession! :winking-tongue
A dentist friend of mine went deer hunting without a knife. He drove over hill and dale 'til he found me. :')
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

One potential problem I see with I design like this is that on larger knives serrations put a lot of stress on the blade when used for chopping and wood processing tasks. I could see it as a fishing/sailing knife though.

Well for the size I had in mind, chipping isn't going to work anyway. It also takes away my thumb placement on the spine of the blade, but this is a design that I would be ok seeing a finger choil on each side that's placed so that it also works as a thumb rest whichever way you flip it around.
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I would love to see another Golden K390 run...

For all of BBS's faults, they were early to the party with both M390 & K390...

K390 Native Chief SE?
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:39 pm
I would love to see another Golden K390 run...

For all of BBS's faults, they were early to the party with both M390 & K390...

K390 Native Chief SE?

I'd buy.
~David
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

Any other people collect all the models of the reverse-S that they can? It started as just liking the blade as an emergency knife, then I started loving the utility of the blade shape in the form of smaller knives like the Cricket... the Cricket comes in plainedge and serrated, and it is a framelock, a great 5th pocket knife, underrated and the cheapest reverse-S for like, I think I've seen 'em for 75, to 95 dollars.

https://imgur.com/a/8HrkSF1

I just got beat out on a reverse-S Meerkat in Gin-1 by like five dollars the other day, and I thought the only person actively sniping for that knife like I was, had to be a reverse-S collector, or a vintage collector. I've got some weird reactions to these... thinking about getting an original Matriarch, and a non-waved Matriarch 2 just to get closer to completing the collection, but they would be a little redundant... Can't wait for the Civvie 2!
Last edited by MournfulCongregant on Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't have a reverse S in my family yet, but I definitely want to. I think it would be a useful blade, and great looking.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Years ago I definitely would not have, just because I lacked the tools and skills to sharpen it. I’d need to use one before buying one, and the Delica frame size is a tweener for me. Too small for my main blade, too large for a secondary.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

What would you all like to see as the next Native Chief sprint or exclusive?? Any predictions?

ETA: The only wrong answers are Crucarta or MagnaSalt!! LOL!
So it goes.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well, after Crucarta and MagnaSalt. 🤣 I really wish St. Nick's would break their streak of no repeats and repeat their exclusive. It came at an unfortunate time.

Other than that, I would like to see it in SPY27 as a regular production model.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I just wanted to post my appreciation of the factory edge on my Knifejoy VG-10 Damascus Dragonfly.

A laser goniometer measured even 14 DPS with an almost polished finish, .021" BTE, and I just BESS tested it with a score of 136 (a double edge razor is between 40-90, a utility razor 150-200). It will be one of the few I don't reprofile. Just going to do future touch ups with the Sharpmaker Ultrafines.

That's an edge anyone and especially a factory should be proud of.
Good job Seki👍🏻
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I used to have the folder pentagon that had just the tip of the top of the blade sharpened.
I always thought it was kind of cool.
3DF0BF3E-03A8-49BD-A2EB-B61FCC9799FD.jpeg