Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by vivi »

I don't own any Enduras but I've compared mine to my Pacific Salts.

Weighs a bit more but otherwise carries better IMO. The back feels smooth and the lack of a thumb ramp makes it very narrow in the pocket.

People get thrown off due to the blade length, but if you can comfortably carry an Endura, you'll be able to comfortably carry a Chief.

I've tried all of Sals released folder designs, and I'd put the Chief in the top 3. It's very good.
:unicorn
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:36 pm

Weighs a bit more but otherwise carries better IMO. The back feels smooth and the lack of a thumb ramp makes it very narrow in the pocket.

People get thrown off due to the blade length, but if you can comfortably carry an Endura, you'll be able to comfortably carry a Chief.

I've tried all of Sals released folder designs, and I'd put the Chief in the top 3. It's very good.
I'm interested if your tastes reflect mine. What other Sal designs are in your top 3?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:15 pm
vivi wrote:

I'm interested if your tastes reflect mine. What other Sal designs are in your top 3?

I feel like this was supposed to be a DM, but general chat is here to hear...

If you were being serious, Vivi has posted pretty openly about his tastes and designs...P4, PS2, NC, S2XL...

Not my place, but I get tired of seeing the same people ask the same or already addressed things...

Bah humbug...
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:04 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:15 pm
vivi wrote:

I feel like this was supposed to be a DM, but general chat is here to hear...

If you were being serious, Vivi has posted pretty openly about his tastes and designs...P4, PS2, NC, S2XL...

Not my place, but I get tired of seeing the same people ask the same or already addressed things...

Bah humbug...
I'm aware of the fact that he gravitates to larger knives I was just wondering which ones, in particular, were his top 3.
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

My favorite Sal designs are the Police 3 & 4, Stretch XL, Chief, Military, Calypso, UKPK and Pacific Salt 2.

If I had to narrow it down to 3, right now I'd go with the Chief, Police 4 and Stretch XL.

If they released a Stretch XL and Chief in Salt versions, I'd have a tough time making up my mind which is my #1. Those are my current two favorite designs.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:55 pm
My favorite Sal designs are the Police 3 & 4, Stretch XL, Chief, Military, Calypso, UKPK and Pacific Salt 2.

If I had to narrow it down to 3, right now I'd go with the Chief, Police 4 and Stretch XL.

If they released a Stretch XL and Chief in Salt versions, I'd have a tough time making up my mind which is my #1. Those are my current two favorite designs.

Back locks eh? Do you prefer them over say a comp lock? If there's a thread about this id be interested. I'm not overly impressed with the back lock on the Endura. That Cheif looks real sexy btw. The natural g10 suits it well.
"Some call me...Tim?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. I like lockbacks the best because they're #1 at keeping a folder closed. I've had detent based locks (liner lock, frame lock, compression lock etc.) come open in my pocket and pack.

Compression locks are really strong, fun to use and have great engineering behind them. I like it on my Yojumbo. But lockbacks give me a peace of mind comp locks don't.

That Chief was dyed with dark green RIT fyi.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89912&p=1531084&hil ... f#p1531084

before and after pics here
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Cpm-S ... 5444098917

What happened to the blade steel stamp here?
It's not a second either?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:02 pm

I don't think that would have left the Spyderco factory and I think that it's highly unlikely this was a mistake, that is the rectangular black spot. It was probably marked s30v before it was marked over and the seller is trying to scam people. Or it was marked with a 9 accidentally but it was actually s30v and they didn't want to mislead people. Either way, if it's a real Spyderco it didn't go to retail like that... And go figure the seller has 94.4 percent positive reviews. (I'd never buy from anyone with less than 99.999999999 percent)
"Some call me...Tim?"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

GarageBoy wrote:

That actually is a factory second. You can see the indicating notch marking it as such in the 4th and 5th photos.
-Nick :bug-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Ah it's a subtle notch. Cool
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:14 pm
GarageBoy wrote:

That actually is a factory second. You can see the indicating notch marking it as such in the 4th and 5th photos.
Oh, your right! Shame on the seller for not mentioning it!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Would knife laws around the country restrict sales too much?

I know double edged dagger laws are easing, but am not sure about local restrictions.

It's a cool concept for sure and something I would like to see produced in at least a 3.75" - 4" range.

What was the last double edged blade Spyderco produced?
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Would knife laws around the country restrict sales too much?

I know double edged dagger laws are easing, but am not sure about local restrictions.

It's a cool concept for sure and something I would like to see produced in at least a 3.75" - 4" range.

What was the last double edged blade Spyderco produced?
I wouldn't have much practical use for it besides sticking pigs. :zany
"Some call me...Tim?"
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Actually makes a whole lot of sense to me as an outdoorsman. PE on the sweep side for skinning game. Teeth on the inner curve for rippin' tendons or gillin' fish. Blunt tip and stainless enough to take diving. (MagnaCut or LC200N) 4.5-5" blade in a good Kydex sheath would fit me to a T.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:13 pm
Actually makes a whole lot of sense to me as an outdoorsman. PE on the sweep side for skinning game. Teeth on the inner curve for rippin' tendons or gillin' fish. Blunt tip and stainless enough to take diving. (MagnaCut or LC200N) 4.5-5" blade in a good Kydex sheath would fit me to a T.
I'd rather just pack two knives. Having a spine to put pressure on is more useful in most hard use outdoor situations, especially with wood processing and bushcraft. I could see it as a diving knife though.
"Some call me...Tim?"
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:51 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:13 pm
I'd rather just pack two knives. Having a spine to put pressure on is more useful in most hard use outdoor situations, especially with wood processing and bushcraft. I could see it as a diving knife though.
Who among us carries only one knife? Truth be told, for most of us, carrying two knives is the most practical every day solution, but for serious jobs, I prefer a fixie and since we're knife knuts, we're always lookin' for that do it all knife that doesn't exist except in the back of our minds. :smiling-halo
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:21 pm
Someone on here has a sketch of a double edged dagger style fixed blade with PE on one side and SE on the other, I don't remember who? That concept has really been on my mind a lot lately and I really would love to see it happen, and happen in a couple size variants too, something smaller maybe around a Street Beat size and then a more fill size ~5-6 inch blade version would be great.
The Sog Pentagon comes to mind. I had one 20+ years ago.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yo where dem new never before seen models at? 😵💫 I need some new spydies. No remakes! Original screenplays only.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb