Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Mushroom »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pm
H1 gets yellow FRN, LC200N gets lime green FRN, Magnacut gets what color FRN?

UKPK Yellow LC200N & Native Salt Yellow LC200N/Magnacut

I don't know that there is consistency in steel/color anymore, I know Sal said that was the original intent, but it seems Eric had other plans.

I think there still is, especially with Seki made Salt models. The Native Salt and UKPK Salt are both Golden made salt models.

Although, that information in itself may partly answer my question. Maybe, Golden made Salt models get yellow.
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Should be a shade of orange, of course. 😉
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:49 am
Should be a shade of orange, of course. 😉
Red wine color, as the St. Nicks G10 M4 Native from a couple of years back.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I don’t know how some of you folks carry such large knives! I picked up an Endela to try out and it seems humongous when opened. I’m sure many of you think of it as a small knife! I must admit it felt great in the hand but it’s simply too large for my tastes.

I hope random observations are allowed in the General Spydie Chat thread.
vivi

Post by vivi »

hah, the smallest knife I carry on a regular basis is the Pacific Salt.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:18 am
I don’t know how some of you folks carry such large knives! I picked up
an Endela to try out and it seems humongous when opened.

I know, right? The Endela is almost impossible to carry when opened.
I think that's why most people carry the Endela closed. :zany

Bwahaha! Sorry. Can't help myself.
I like the Endura and Manix 2 XL.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
I don’t know how some of you folks carry such large knives! I picked up an Endela to try out and it seems humongous when opened. I’m sure many of you think of it as a small knife! I must admit it felt great in the hand but it’s simply too large for my tastes.

Agreed!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Did you get the SE Endela? Maybe you will get used to the size.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Soanso McMasters wrote:

There is nothing wrong with different preferences. There are many people who won't carry any knife bigger than a tiny SAK Classic. For them, a Delica, or even a Dragonfly, would seem way too big.

My main carry preferences for Spydercos is generally from 3" to 3.5" blade lengths, but I occasionally carry my Military or Police models.

If an Endela seems way too big for you, then no need to feel out of place, nor any need to force yourself to adjust to others' preferences.

Jim
Soanso McMasters

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:45 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:

I really should start closing my knives first. I go through three pairs of pants a day!
kobold

Post by kobold »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:33 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:45 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:

I really should start closing my knives first. I go through three pairs of pants a day!

A leather sheath could prevent wardrobe malfunctions.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
James Y

Post by James Y »

In terms of knives and their sizes and where the Endela fits in, here is a little perspective. In descending order of blade length/size:

Cold Steel Voyager XL
SOG Pentagon Elite II
Police 4 LWT
SS Police
Military
Endura 4
Endela
PM2 (bigger handle, but same blade length as the Endela)
Delica 4
Alox Classic SAK (far right)

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soanso McMasters wrote:

I tend to become accustomed to whatever I'm carrying, and that's how I slowly gravitated towards larger knives, and it was mostly due to how awesome the Military is. Once you start using one you gain an appreciation for how much more they can do (well, I did) and then when I pick up smaller knives like a Native 5 they feel like toys.

It works both ways though. I've been using my Autonomy and Rock Jumper a lot lately and just today I picked up my Police 4 and opened it and it felt like a sword. I think overall for me something around 3.5-3.75 inch cutting edge is my sweet spot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pm
I wonder if all the Magnacut Salt models will be yellow or if a new color will be chosen? H1 gets yellow FRN, LC200N gets lime green FRN, Magnacut gets what color FRN? For sake of consistency, I’m guessing Spyderco would want it to be another hi-viz color?

I'd like to see some shade of red, for no other reason than Magna and Magma being so similar. It's silly, but I think it fits.
Soanso McMasters

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:24 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:

I tend to become accustomed to whatever I'm carrying, and that's how I slowly gravitated towards larger knives, and it was mostly due to how awesome the Military is. Once you start using one you gain an appreciation for how much more they can do (well, I did) and then when I pick up smaller knives like a Native 5 they feel like toys.

It works both ways though. I've been using my Autonomy and Rock Jumper a lot lately and just today I picked up my Police 4 and opened it and it felt like a sword. I think overall for me something around 3.5-3.75 inch cutting edge is my sweet spot.
It’s definitely a matter of growing accustomed to it. Prior to my adventures in all things Spyderco, my regular carry knives were diminutive. I was carrying the Fox knives baby core and the Civivi McKenna and knives similar in size. It took a little bit to even get used to the Native 5 or Sage 1 or Para 3.

I honestly wouldn’t have any struggles carrying the Endela in most attire, but it is definitely big enough that a lot of folks would be thinking Crocodile Dundee when I pulled it out of my pocket. Or at least I suspect as much. When I showed it to my wife she said “that thing’s huge!”. I’m still talking knives here…

A question for you and anyone else: Do you find people to be uncomfortable when you present or use your larger knives?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:55 pm

A question for you and anyone else: Do you find people to be uncomfortable when you present or use your larger knives?

It definitely depends a lot on where you live, what your job is and where you're using your knife and even in what context. If I use mine for my job it's just a tool, but if you work in an office it may not fit the surroundings as well. Size is only part of it too, you could pull out a 6 inch blade steak knife with your lunch in an office and cut up some food and probably nobody would think twice, so the appearance and use of the knife play a part too.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Soanso McMasters

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:45 pm
In terms of knives and their sizes and where the Endela fits in, here is a little perspective. In descending order of blade length/size:

Cold Steel Voyager XL
SOG Pentagon Elite II
Police 4 LWT
SS Police
Military
Endura 4
Endela
PM2 (bigger handle, but same blade length as the Endela)
Delica 4
Alox Classic SAK (far right)

Jim
Thanks for the picture, that will be handy for me. Really, right now, the Delica is probably the longest knife (handle length) I would regularly carry.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The gen 3 delica is linerless right?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Literally never. I've been carrying "large" knives for over 30 years. Buck 110, Police, Military, Native Chief, Szabo Folder, Manix XL, C95 Manix, Resilience etc. Smallest knife I carry is a Pacific Salt.

Every one of those have been carried to work, out on dates in the city, etc.

Been pulled over for minor traffic infractions in bad areas and asked if I have anything sharp on me or any guns. Had that happen once about 15 years ago while carrying a Millie and a serrated Spyderhawk - no comment. Had it happen again maybe 3 years ago with a Manix XL and a Leatherman - no comment. Both times let go with a warning for going 5 over or having a brake light out.

I use the folders on that list every day at work. Only comments have ever been about how sharp it is or how easy the opening hole looks to use.

Early on when I got into knife forums all the "sheeple" horror stories convinced me I should carry small knives. I spent my first few years into Spydercos searching for the smallest model I could comfortably use. Tried the UKPK, Caly jr, caly 3, various delicas and natives, micro-dyad, spin, para 1, para 2 and many others.

The reactions I got back then are the same I got when I ditched those models for stuff like the Military, Police or C95 Manix. People either didn't care, didn't notice, or thought it was a cool looking knife and asked me about it.

Can't tell you how other parts of the world are, but all the places I've lived in the USA have been this way.
:unicorn
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

In our country, one can only legally carry a knife if he uses it for his profession or "in pursuit of a lawful activity." Gotta love the vagueness of legislation. Hence most of my friends have never seen me use a knife, whether big or small, in public.