Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Airlsee »

Sometimes you want to post something Spydie related or SpydieForum related but don't want to create a whole new thread or anything...

Well this is the place! A general chat of the General Discussion forum; if you're new say "hey". No way to derail this one.

Hopefully there's enough traffic to keep this going...I know I'm not the only one who reaches the end of the forum a little too often, LOL!

The floor is yours.
So it goes.
SG89

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by SG89 »

I'm such a fan of the satin finish on the native 5 Rex45...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

20210923_214345_compress98.jpg
Beware of the SpyderEdge... it bites lol
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

SG88: Have you started to develop a patina on your Rex45? I don't guess I've seen a picture of your Rex Native...

SpyderLine: Man that sucks...I've definitely been bitten by the PE, but thankfully not the SE!
So it goes.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I haven't cut myself in many years..... but I was messing around trying the middle finger flick and it don't go well for me.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I tried a thread like this once and it fizzled out.

I guess if anyone knows offhand what the knife laws are like in Pennsylvania, New York State, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts, we're taking a little trip to Salem in a couple weeks and I was thinking about buying a new knife to take with me, because it's as good of an excuse to buy a new knife as any right? I'll probably just carry my keychain Ladybug and maybe a Dragonfly Salt or some other small knife just to avoid any BS. The last thing I need is to get arrested 900 miles from home or have someone confiscate (*cough*steal*cough*) my knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

And to add another question, I've been looking at the UKPK Salt as an option, but I'm wondering how well the blade tip is enclosed into the handle when closed compared to a Caly 3? That's my one big issue with the Caly 3, it doesn't take much sharpening to push the edge far enough up the blade to expose the blade tip when closed. Since these knives are so similar to the Caly 3 this will be a deal breaker.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Salem and Boston have a 2.5” limit. I grew up in Beverly/Salem. Spent a lot of time riding my bike around the witch museums as a kid. Enjoy your trip.

I spend a lot of time in New York, New Hampshire and Mass and carry whatever I want. New Hampshire has no knife laws. Massachusetts and New York are very confusing. You might want to Google those. Mass is funny about a bunch of stuff like assisted openers and waves. Cops in NY and MA don’t play games. I have lived in both states for many years.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 am
And to add another question, I've been looking at the UKPK Salt as an option, but I'm wondering how well the blade tip is enclosed into the handle when closed compared to a Caly 3? That's my one big issue with the Caly 3, it doesn't take much sharpening to push the edge far enough up the blade to expose the blade tip when closed. Since these knives are so similar to the Caly 3 this will be a deal breaker.

I had never thought to look, but the UKPK is significantly more recessed...

So it goes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:31 am
I think I tried a thread like this once and it fizzled out.

I guess if anyone knows offhand what the knife laws are like in Pennsylvania, New York State, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts, we're taking a little trip to Salem in a couple weeks and I was thinking about buying a new knife to take with me, because it's as good of an excuse to buy a new knife as any right? I'll probably just carry my keychain Ladybug and maybe a Dragonfly Salt or some other small knife just to avoid any BS. The last thing I need is to get arrested 900 miles from home or have someone confiscate (*cough*steal*cough*) my knife.
If you are going to Salem Massachusetts you better carry something with a 2 & 1/2 inches or less. Massachusetts has some of the most draconian knife and gun laws in the entire USA. Seems rather strange that some of those east coast states are like that because that's where the founding fathers started this country for the most part.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Speaking of under 2.5"...would the Reinhold Rhino qualify with it's 2.6" of cutting edge in a 2.37" blade? Also, does anyone have a Rhino with a Lynch or MXG clip, and if you do, do you like the Rhino? I wasn't interested when they were released, but David's question had me looking at it again, and I'm intrigued...
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 am
Speaking of under 2.5"...would the Reinhold Rhino qualify with it's 2.6" of cutting edge in a 2.37" blade? Also, does anyone have a Rhino with a Lynch or MXG clip, and if you do, do you like the Rhino? I wasn't interested when they were released, but David's question had me looking at it again, and I'm intrigued...

I'm pretty sure the law measures from the handle itself and includes any choil as part of the blade. I think even the UKPK is too much for comfort but those pics did help. I'll probably get one eventually but not for this trip.

I'm once again finding myself wishing that the Bug knives came in a SE version, or if there was a SE Ladybug slip joint. It seems ridiculous to get in trouble for a locking blade the size of a Ladybug but that's the world we live in I guess.
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

For a great, now free, reference to knife laws, I highly recommend the Legal Blade Smartphone app. It used to be a paid app that benefited KnifeRights.org. Then Blade HQ sponsored its update and made it free. It covers all categories of knives and addresses state preemption (where the state law takes priority) and situations where municipal laws are stricter than state laws--like Boston.

Very handy and easier to navigate than Google searches, which may turn up outdated information or inaccurate guidance from Internet wizards.

Stay safe,

Mike
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm, I recently sharpened my HH UKPK to 15dps. I didn't even think to check that, now I'll have to take a look when I get home.

David, what area of NY are thinking...NYC area? If you're venturing towards central NY, I wouldn't really worry about what you're carrying.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 pm
SG88: Have you started to develop a patina on your Rex45? I don't guess I've seen a picture of your Rex Native...

SpyderLine: Man that sucks...I've definitely been bitten by the PE, but thankfully not the SE!
I hate patina, so whenever I use this knife for yard work I wipe it down with alcohol after. That satin finish is so pretty. I rarely ever use a pocket knife on food, I prefer using kitchen knives for that.
Spydergirl88
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 am
I hate patina, so whenever I use this knife for yard work I wipe it down with alcohol after. That satin finish is so pretty. I rarely ever use a pocket knife on food, I prefer using kitchen knives for that.

I completely understand. For blades that I want ZERO corrosion on, I have had really good experiences heating the blades (heat gun, hair dryer, toaster over, etc...) to where they are just HOT to the touch and then coating them liberally with Frog Lube Paste, letting it dry and then thoroughly wiping off any excess.

I've had zero corrosion issues when doing this versus just wiping and applying at room temperature. Not to mention the actual lubricating properties when applied correctly...I'm a big fan of Frog Lube, LOL! Food safe, yada yada...
So it goes.
Geo-Ozeki

Post by Geo-Ozeki »

Is the Sage 5 the smaller Manix? I mean you have Delica - Endela - Endura and Chief - Native & Lil’ Native.

I love the Manix XL and Manix and want the smaller version (lock type is not a concern).
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Geo-Ozeki wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:43 am
Is the Sage 5 the smaller Manix? I mean you have Delica - Endela - Endura and Chief - Native & Lil’ Native.

I love the Manix XL and Manix and want the smaller version (lock type is not a concern).

Yeah, it kind of is...(cue the Manix diehards). Especially if the CBBL is not the draw for you. I think the Sage has one of the most refined handles in the Spydie catalog and deserves as much discussion as the Para3 & N5.

If you are wanting a 3" blade, and love the Manix I think you would do well to pick up any of the Sages.
So it goes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Native 5 is a better mini manix for me than a Sage... I bought the sage 3 hoping for a true mini manix and it's just a totally different animal IMO
Spydergirl88
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:37 am
The Rhino is legal to carry in Boston. Fortunately in this case, cutting edge does not equal blade length. :cheap-sunglasses

I do not have a deep carry clip on the Rhino but I like the knife a lot. It's mostly a three finger knife for me but I still really like how it feels in hand.
-Nick :bug-red