Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by Buddafucco »

For the Challenge Coin collectors... I'm unsure if I missed it while it was In Stock or if it's still upcoming... There is now a listing on Spyderco.com for a 2022 Fire Dragon coin... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -2022/2354

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:02 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm
Other than the "daily" threads, this place has been very quiet. 🤫
One thing to consider is that the message board/forum is a sort of legacy format for Internet communities, a holdover from the 1990s & 2000s. I imagine there's as much online discussion about Spyderco as there ever was, but it's happening in places like Reddit or Discord or whatever it is the kids use these days.
Yeah. Even for forum faithfuls like me, it’s easier to post a quick edc photo in the Facebook group or over on Reddit. Couple more steps to do so here.

I still come here for the discussion, though. This is a great community.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The sub $220 Taichung collabs need to come back...a few years ago they were a large part of Spyderco's lineup. Now the lineup is mostly homogeneous and boring...

I love what they are doing on the blade steel front, but the design stagnation has become tiresome.
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Question for some of the old heads or spydiewiki aficionados, what was/is the longest continually produced collaboration?

C134CF2 (GB2) is the longest that comes to mind since I've been addicted, but I'm probably missing something obvious...
So it goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I doubt anything beats the Perrins. Streat Beat and Street Bowie each have been made for over a decade.
:unicorn
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

According to Spydiewiki the Bill Moran beats the street beat, but not by a whole lot. It shows the Moran as 2001. I have one that was made before they started putting spyderholes in their fixed blades. Or at least had one, not entirely sure where it is at the moment.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Research on why razors dull on human hair.

https://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

C27 Alert!

KLC09335.jpg

(stock photo)

I had a pretty cool experience today.

I stopped at a cutlery shop in my travels-- they had a bunch of cool stuff in the shop. None of it was quite right to get my wallet out, even though i was somewhat inclined to support the business with a purchase.

The cool thing, though was i got to handle one of my 'grail' Spydercos. As i have written before, i am not really much for grails and i will only spend within reason for my budget.

This shop had, on consignment a C27 Jess Horn Spyderco. It was very cool to be able to see it in person and handle it. This thing was immaculate, but the asking price was an eye-watering $1500.

For those who don't know, this is a very unique piece of Spyderco history-- a lovely collaboration piece with a trapezoidal dent instead of a Spydie hole. It is Moki built with stainless bolsters and jigged bone scales.

Here is a cool old thread on the model.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92058

This is an old listing on AZK for one.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/149638/

The shop also had some cool vintage knives- Al Mar, Gerber, Buck, a bunch of traditional slip joints, and some nice custom fixed blades.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:08 am
Research on why razors dull on human hair.

https://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806
Interesting read, but I wish the article had gone into more depth about what the researchers meant about "heterogeneous" and "homogeneous" steel. Are they referring to the proportions of cementite vs martensite? Carbide size? Grain size?
vivi

Post by vivi »

anyone remember this model?

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow, how old is that? I saw a new magnetic locking folder (don't remember the brand or name right now) being touted as revolutionary. I guess it isn't.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yep, I’ve always wanted a T-Mag in the collection! I like the unique locking mechanism and I love the “Rare Earth” Easter egg in reference to the magnets! :nerd
-Nick :bug-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:18 pm
anyone remember this model?

T-Mag, had one years ago. I'd love to see this retutn as a Slip-It, great design but the magnet in my opinion let the rest of the knife down.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

It's an interesting design. Made a little more sense when it was released, but now with everyone carrying a computer in their pocket the magnets might not be such a good idea.

It's such a smooth knife though, smoother than any slip-it could be.

I also like how fat the handle is. One of the more comfortable small knives spyderco has put out.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Looks like a Worker and a Para 3 got drunk and… brown chicken brown cow!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Didn't realize the black Aqua Salts have a different tip grind and larger sharpening choil. Also kind of crazy how smooth my user feels compared to the fresh flashing on the back of the black ones handle, comparing how crisp the bidirectional texture is etc.

Suppose I should do an observations thread on em.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:12 pm
It's an interesting design. Made a little more sense when it was released, but now with everyone carrying a computer in their pocket the magnets might not be such a good idea.
I've always wondered about that. I've avoided buying all sorts of pocketable gear (folding knives, flashlights, multitools) that have exposed, unshielded magnets because of concern that they might negatively interact with the electronics I carry in my pocket (I ruined an old CRT computer monitor back in the day when I accidentally placed a magnet on the screen, and the memory has stuck with me).
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:05 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:12 pm
I've always wondered about that. I've avoided buying all sorts of pocketable gear (folding knives, flashlights, multitools) that have exposed, unshielded magnets because of concern that they might negatively interact with the electronics I carry in my pocket (I ruined an old CRT computer monitor back in the day when I accidentally placed a magnet on the screen, and the memory has stuck with me).
A modern smartphone should not be affected by a magnet. Maybe the compass feature or the stabilization could be affected, but not be damaged permanently. And there are already magnets in your phone. The speakers need magnets to work.
olywa

Post by olywa »

True that! I have an extremely strong magnet mount in my car vent that mates with a steel plate on the back of my phone. In the old days we had issues with mag tape and traditional hard drives. Not an issue with modern devices.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Senfkarte wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:12 pm
A modern smartphone should not be affected by a magnet. Maybe the compass feature or the stabilization could be affected, but not be damaged permanently.
Ah, good to know