Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by SG89 »

Anyone else sharpen all their knives at once and wait till they are all dull again to sharpen again? 🙄
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I love sharpening so I try to not sharpen too much. I do them one by one, I usually use one knife until it needs sharpening, sharpen it and then move to another carry.

If i waited for em to be dull, I'd sharpen them in like 20 years considering how much Maxamet k390 and other steels i own :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 am
Anyone else sharpen all their knives at once and wait till they are all dull again to sharpen again? 🙄
I wait until they're all dull, and then sharpen one :squinting-tongue
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You can't go wrong!
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm
If I don't find a non DLC Autonomy 1 in stock at a reasonable price soon, this is gonna be a reality. The urge is getting the best of me. I'd rather do it with a non coated blade though.

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:29 pm
Micarta Kapara scales up at DLT... https://www.dlttrading.com/searchresult ... eld=Newest
I've got those RGT burlap scales on my Smock...highly reccomend. Very nice scales, perfect fit in all aspects. Glad I dont have one of these or else I'd be spending another $70!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Buddafucco wrote:
Micarta Kapara scales up at DLT... https://www.dlttrading.com/searchresult ... eld=Newest
I’ve been waiting for these. Thanks for the heads up
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'll end up getting a set for 20CV Kapara, but not sure which color/material yet. I'm thinking/hoping they will be around for a bit.
So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just want to say how happy I am that Spyderco never succumbed to the fidget spinners craze despite multiple requests.

Not sure what made that pop in my head but I just wanted to throw it out there.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:22 am
SG89 wrote:
I wait until they're all dull, and then sharpen one :squinting-tongue
Ugh, that’s what I end up doing too much… I try to sharpen them as they rotate out of carry, but it doesn’t always happen that way.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:20 pm
I just want to say how happy I am that Spyderco never succumbed to the fidget spinners craze despite multiple requests.

I dunno, there was the Southard, and a few Mantras... :squinting-tongue
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've bought my first PM2 a while ago and this puppy is very good and all, but I find that I almost never carry it.
It's been carried once and played with a bit. Still a S45VN factory edge almost untouched.

At my french dealer, there is Micarta scales, the lotus ones from Flytanium. I've been thinking about giving them a try, to see if this knife appeals to me more after that.

Anyone here has experience with theses scales? Is the fact that they are micarta hurting the action or security of the knife? Asking this because Spyderco did make full liners just for the crucarta PM2.

Thanks all !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Don't forget the Hanan, Advocate, Domino, and Sliverax.

Thankfully, most Spyderco models with flipper tabs open just fine using the Spydiehole.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Buddafucco wrote:
Oh wow. I have been on the fence about replacing those beautiful CF Scales, but I know with Micarta it would end up in my pocket way more often. And, DLT is great to order from.

Thanks for the heads up! Great news!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

On Micarta, I have a fixed blade with canvas Micarta. Very grippy and comfortable. Anyone have any insights on the different types and what the prefer and why?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I still say the Southard is the best of all the Spyderco flippers so far, at least it had a strong detent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:52 pm
I've bought my first PM2 a while ago and this puppy is very good and all, but I find that I almost never carry it.
It's been carried once and played with a bit. Still a S45VN factory edge almost untouched.

At my french dealer, there is Micarta scales, the lotus ones from Flytanium. I've been thinking about giving them a try, to see if this knife appeals to me more after that.

Anyone here has experience with theses scales? Is the fact that they are micarta hurting the action or security of the knife? Asking this because Spyderco did make full liners just for the crucarta PM2.

Thanks all !
Hard pass, the contour shape makes hot spots at the finger choil. I have a a set that I need to get rid of, not good for a user.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:13 pm
On Micarta, I have a fixed blade with canvas Micarta. Very grippy and comfortable. Anyone have any insights on the different types and what the prefer and why?
Canvas is my favorite for fixed blades, but linen is quite nice too. Basically, the three common ones are Burlap, Canvas, and Linen. Burlap is very corse, linen is very fine, and Canvas is somewhere in the middle. Sometimes you'll find Denim micarta too, which I think is in between canvas and linen.

I have green canvas micarta on my Stretch today, and green linen micarta on my Swiss army knife.

The fixed blade on the left is Green Canvas also, with a more polished finish.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

SG89 wrote:

Not all, I am more comfortable with five to ten. Right now I only have my Rex45 Chief in the queue, so it will take some time.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm too much of a mental case, I have to sharpen each of the 2 different knives I carry each week, the night of the last day carrying.

That way it is also a relief to know that any knife I take from my display stands, will always already be to the best of my sharpening ability.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick