Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by James Y »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:19 pm
How'd you lose it?

Jim
Was helping clean up after a charity event in the park, rolling up snow fence and loading it a truck. I had used the knife to cut the zip ties and poof gone. Back tracked my path and nothing, dug through the back of the truck checking the snow fence. Pretty sure someone picked it up, was a lot of foot traffic in the area. Ohh it might have been the free beer :shush

Ugh! Sorry to hear about that. That really sucks! 😩

Maybe its departure has left a void for a new knife to fill? 🤔

Jim
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:49 am
Am i crazy or there was a Beer + spyderco knife topic on the forum until yesterday? I posted in it a picture of a beer and my ZDP endura 4 and can't find the post in my history, nor the topic.

Am i really losing it ? :thinking

EDIT : I am losing it, found it... on BF :woozy :woozy

There's a "what are ya drinkin??" thread in Off-Topic... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65626
•• Beau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am
nerdlock wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:18 pm
I'm actually debating on releasing some of my PM2 exclusives. After snapping the tip off one of my M390 PM2s NOT PRYING something, I just realized that while the knife remains an all-time excellent matter separator, I find myself trying to protect the tip from time to time, which is something I'm not keen on doing for my EDC tools. Plus I much more prefer the Para3 platform as it just fits my hands and is compact enough to carry on a daily basis. I did buy a S30V PM2 Tanto though. For me, the tanto design solves the one nagging issue I have with the PM2 design - at the cost of losing some of that slicyness.
I would try the Saber Grind BladeOPS Emerson PM2, I am right there with you on watching what I cut because of the tip. I bought one of the tanto pm2 to eventualy spanto the blade. Just haven't gotten to the point yet that I want to grind down a new knife.

Actually it interested me way back when it was on stock at BladeOps but I never managed the drive to snag one. I'm hoping BO will release it it Elmax in the future.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I just saw on reddit someone selling a S45VN Mule for $175. Come on!!!
😡😡😡
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Is anyone using the Spyderco App here?
I tried to install it to not miss the next mule, putting all the chances on myu side !
However, I can't access the catalog, everytime it just says no products.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:17 am
I tried to install it to not miss the next mule, putting all the chances on myu side !
I haven't used the app in a while but yeah, I just noticed the catalog is blank on the app right now
z1r

Post by z1r »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
😡😡😡
I'll beat that, $174.00! :squinting-tongue

Yeah, I love when there are new releases/sprints that are still available and someone on Ebay is selling, or trying to sell, for 2 to 3x the price.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Ramonade wrote:

Try it again, they may have been changing some things in it.
Fyi... TazKristi makes a new thread a couple weeks before a new Mule releases. She stickies them in the announcements section at the top of each sub forum.
•• Beau
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
It's working for me on two Android devices and one iPhone
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

z1r wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm
😡😡😡
I'll beat that, $174.00! :squinting-tongue

Yeah, I love when there are new releases/sprints that are still available and someone on Ebay is selling, or trying to sell, for 2 to 3x the price.
I just sold one for $190 on ebay after taxes... Started at $1 and free shipping. I am still bouncing between blowing the funds on a vg10 stretch or police 4 k390 SE.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks for the answers, if it works usually it'll return back to normal pretty fast.

@Buddafucco : Nice ! I saw ones for older mules, but didn't know if it was a systematic thing she did. That's nice! I'm impatient for the next mule, no matter the steel ^^.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Knivesplus just added some more oldies to their site. I don't know how good of a deal they are but it's cool to see them available. I'm assuming they all have collectors club numbers. https://www.knivesplus.com/new-knives.html
•• Beau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:29 pm
Knivesplus just added some more oldies to their site. I don't know how good of a deal they are but it's cool to see them available. I'm assuming they all have collectors club numbers. https://www.knivesplus.com/new-knives.html
Man that Goddard is so cool! $200 is too rich for my blood right now, though. I wonder if they raided a collector's stash? Or how else they ended up with this batch.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Yeah, KnivesPlus "Boss's Collection" has some neat stuff for sure, not a place to look for deals but a good selection of discontinued gems.
So it goes.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

So... I managed to chip my K390 Stretch. Hit a staple in double-walled cardboard.

Blade was reprofiled to 12 dps with a 15 dps micro.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea those KnivesPlus boss collection section had some interesting pieces, but extremely overpriced for what they are. There's a reason they were discontinued in the first place!! Crappy materials, designs, steels. So what if it's from 1996!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco knives today versus 10 years ago and before is truly a masterclass in innovation and improvements. Their main factories have stepped up their game so much in the last 5ish years. We are so lucky.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 am
Spyderco knives today versus 10 years ago and before is truly a masterclass in innovation and improvements. Their main factories have stepped up their game so much in the last 5ish years. We are so lucky.
Absolutely!! I had a Gin1 SE Endura for a bit that a guy from work sold me for like $20...I can see why I only paid $20 for it haha! Couldn't hold a candle to these amazing knives their pumping out these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:09 am

Sadly many people fail to see this and expectations are at an all time high. We have steels in regular production today that were fantasy custom only options 10 years ago and today we'll have a thread talking about how bored someone is of that same steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

At the time, these older designs were very innovative in features and materials compared to other companies, I don't want to take away anything in regards to their historical significance. However, spyderco's only competition is their selves. CQI is their game and they are the champs. Compare an original Paramilitary to the BHQ PM2 with copper scales ("linerless" design) and Para 3 G10 (stop pin instead of screw). Or an original Native vs Native 5.
Or getting a Delica in European or American steels. Spyderco and Seki really recognized an opportunity there to honor tradition and innovate.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb