Things Spyderco Has Failed To Do

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
justjohn

Things Spyderco Has Failed To Do

Post by justjohn »

Let me begin by saying I have been a Spyderco Customer for over 3 years and own 97 of their knives plus assorted accessories. In three plus years I have seen to see the Company fail to do the following:
1. Overcharge on goods or services.
2. Skimp and/or cut corners.
3. Provide unsatisfactory customer service.
4. Not give back to the Community/First Responders (Fire, Law Enforcement, & Medical), and the Military.
5. Ignore customer inputs.
6. Have a poor selection of goods to choose from.
7. Not perform CQI updates.

I'm sure the list goes on and on but I think you get my point. Do I still desire to purchase anything from a Company that has this kind of track record? H*LL YES I DO!

Thank you Mr. S. Glesser, Mrs. Glesser, Mr. E. Glesser and Team Spyderco for creating and maintaining such an OUTSTANDING Company! :clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Re: Things Spyderco Has Failed To Do

Post by Sharp Guy »

Good post haha!

I can't believe anyone would want to do business with a company like this!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

justjohn wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:48 pm
Let me begin by saying I have been a Spyderco Customer for over 3 years and own 97 of their knives plus assorted accessories. In three plus years I have seen to see the Company fail to do the following:
1. Overcharge on goods or services.
2. Skimp and/or cut corners.
3. Provide unsatisfactory customer service.
4. Not give back to the Community/First Responders (Fire, Law Enforcement, & Medical), and the Military.
5. Ignore customer inputs.
6. Have a poor selection of goods to choose from.
7. Not pe
rform CQI updates.

I'm sure the list goes on and on but I think you get my point. Do I still desire to purchase anything from a Company that has this kind of track record? H*LL YES I DO!

Thank you Mr. S. Glesser, Mrs. Glesser, Mr. E. Glesser and Team Spyderco for creating and maintaining such an OUTSTANDING Company! :clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands
AGREED 100%!! Nice to see a post like this. We are so used to being catered to that sometimes we take it for granted. Thank you Spyderco!!!

Salve, John! As a beginning student of Latin and Roman history, I like your signature line! :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The only people who don't like Spyderco, are the people who are ignorant of Spyderco's greatness.

Very nice appreciation post! As long as the Glesser's are selling knives I'll be a customer.
So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've converted 4 guys at work to become Spyderco fans over the past couple years. Their not as much of nuts as I am, but they grew to appreciate the designs when I would lend them one for the day. They then went and bought a few of their own since.

People need to take chances in life, try something different out of your typical comfort zone. You never know what you will find!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Cheers! In my line of work, Messrs. Glesser's knives are in most everyone's pockets!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

You so got me with the title! Good one. And couldn't agree more. I don't think I've purchased more than 50 Spyderco's but seriously, I can barely look at other companies products anymore because of the great quality and features of Spydie's.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm
The only people who don't like Spyderco, are the people who are ignorant of Spyderco's greatness.

There's always the guys who get one less than absolutely perfect knife and lose their minds over it, or they damage the knife themselves and expect Spyderco to bend over backwards to fix their mistakes, or I BROKE MY CLIP AND I HAVE TO PAY FOR A NEW ONE WHY ISNT IT FREE OMGWTFBBQ! There's an equally long list of things people unrealistically think Spyderco fail to do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:24 am
Airlsee wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm

There's always the guys who get one less than absolutely perfect knife and lose their minds over it, or they damage the knife themselves and expect Spyderco to bend over backwards to fix their mistakes, or I BROKE MY CLIP AND I HAVE TO PAY FOR A NEW ONE WHY ISNT IT FREE OMGWTFBBQ! There's an equally long list of things people unrealistically think Spyderco fail to do.

So you mean the ones who are just plain ignorant.
So it goes.
Matus

Post by Matus »

3) Customer support
I have not needed to contact Spyderco customer support, but as a customer living in Europe I am fully aware, that the only way to get anything fixed outside warranty would mean sending the knife to US what makes economically zero sense. Spyderco has so far failed to come up with a strategy how to offer their support to their non-US customers. I think that is a topic Spyderco should address in the future (yes I am aware that that is easier said than done).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:13 am
the only way to get anything fixed outside warranty would mean sending the knife to US what makes economically zero sense.

This is just an issue with buying anything from a different country. It will probably never change. I have a watch from England that technically has to get the battery replaced by the manufacturer or it voids my warranty, and shipping it to England and back would cost me half of what I paid for the watch. This stuff happens all the time and is why I tend to avoid international purchases.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I agree, it is not a unique situation that Spyderco finds itself in. But I could imagine some workarounds might be possible.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 am
I agree, it is not a unique situation that Spyderco finds itself in. But I could imagine some workarounds might be possible.

Maybe they can eventually set up an authorized dealer/service shop at least somewhere on every major continent or at least close enough that shipping isn't so expensive.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Spyderco company is truly a fine example of an American dream that came true. The entrepreneur spirit of the company as well as their uncompromising goal for quality is a rarity in today's business world.

This is what most American companies used to be like at one time. They put just as much quality in their sharpening tools as they do with their fine blades.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 am
Maybe they can eventually set up an authorized dealer/service shop at least somewhere on every major continent or at least close enough that shipping isn't so expensive.
Yes, something along those lines might be a workable solution that would already help a lot.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm just disappointed that Spyderco hasn't given us pocket sized light sabers yet. Although to be fair, compared with production knives of 20 years ago, they kind of have...

One of the reasons I'm a Spyderco fan is the ethic behind the company, and the family that founded it.