Caly 3 Sprint or Exclusive?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Caly 3 Sprint or Exclusive?

Post by Catamount123 »

I’ve been carrying my HAP40 Caly 3 lately, and I’d love to have this :bug-red-white in a new steel. Cruwear would be my first choice, but 20CV would also be nice. As far as scales, G10, in some shade of blue, would be be great.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
brancron

Re: Caly 3 Sprint or Exclusive?

Post by brancron »

Cruwear and polished natural micarta please!
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I'd love to see a new Version of the Caly 3.
Blue whould be nice, Spy27, 20CV, M390 ?

ASF
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Honestly a Caly 4 would be amazing, or keep it the 3 but with a few CQI changes:
Torx construction
Pivot that is flush with scales
Contoured handles
Compression lock (this is just a joke, obviously leave the back lock as it is perfect)
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Caly 3, 3.5, and Calypso all need to be regular production with an interesting steel. The 3.5 is one of my favorite designs but it’s difficult to get people on board when the only production version is a little expensive for what it is (ZDP).

The rumored lightweight 3.5 has me excited for sure.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I only have one in CF ZDP189 , great knife. I definitely would like a 3 in G-10, really not picky any steel to get it off the ground would be great . Love to have a 3.5 someday also . MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I have very few complaints with the HAP40 Caly 3 other than recognition and availability.

The flush pivot and unpinned construction would be amazing!! I don't carry my Caly 3 enough. I like it so much that I bought 2 of them, but ended up selling one to a co-worker who carried an old Chinese Kershaw daily. It was a great upgrade for him, but within a couple months he had the knife all gummed up with fruit juices and such. I cleaned it up the best I could for him, but being able to fully disassemble the knife would be a great help.

If they do another run, I would love to see it in either K390 or LC200N...but honestly, HAP40 works just as well for me. I guess my only complaint with the HAP40 blade is the scratches that develop all over the SUS410, but that's only aesthetic...
So it goes.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I wish they'd do a liner lock Caly 3 in G10.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I would love any new Caly, but I agree there are some slight design tweeks that would make it absolutely wonderful. Bdubs hit the nail on the head. I would also add a slight tweek to the ricasso/choil so that you could close it/unlock it safetly with your finger in the choil area much like with a Native 5. I've compared the often and don't think it would take much of a tweek to make that happen. So I guess I'm advocating for a Caly 4.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Caly 3 is my favorite knife. I own a half dozen of them. I'd buy a Caly 3 or 3.5 or Calypso in most any steel, configuration, and locking mechanism (except linerlock, sorry buckley). Calys have a good blade to folded size ratio. If I could design my own Caly, I'd (1) add a Chaparral type lock bar for zero blade play and (2) make the choil a bit more into the handle and a bit less on the blade, for a little more edge...but that's just a very minor niggle. I think the Caly is about as near perfect as a knife can get. Love the deep carry clip.

Really looking forward to a LW version!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like the Caly3. It is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. I would love to see this in a new steel, perhaps SPY-27?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I,too, have some of the various Caly models and would be a customer for a new Caly. I have all of the UKPKs because they are the closest in form to the Calys. The most recent UKPKs are excellent but I wouldn’t mind having something of similar size with a lock.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

And SPY-27 would be great as I live only a few miles from where it is produced.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

So it goes.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

The Caly series was out of favor by the time I came around. I'm dying for some Caly sprints. Ive come close to buying the zdp CF 3.5 a few times but it's not quite for me.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Caly 3 in screw construction would be a nice upgrade.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 pm
I really like the Caly3. It is the knife that brought me back to Spyderco. I would love to see this in a new steel, perhaps SPY-27?

Nice idea. I don't own one yet, but always wanted one. 3.5 G10 SPY27 please.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Denim Blue G10 and SPY27... now, that's a winning combo in my book and oh... let's hope they stay away from Moki ! Taichung would be my first choice !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I will sanction no further sprints, until we get a Superblue Calypso.

The family needs to be whole! :P
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson