New pm2 : loctite on a washer ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

New pm2 : loctite on a washer ?

Post by Ramonade »

Hi,
After purchasing my 6 first spydercos, I wanted to try the overwhelmingly present (in the knife community) Paramilitary 2.
I ordered the new sku with s45vn steel at an authorized vendor so this is the real deal. However, the pocket clip is in tip-down configuration. As i tried to remove it and put it in tip up position, I had problems removing one of the screws. After succeeding, I saw that there was a ton of loctite in the threading, and the bronze washer behind the g10 is blue in appearance.

Is that gonna provoke issues with the knife ?
Thanks for your input,

Robin

PS : The g10 behind the pocket clip screw that was full of loctite is now smooth and shiny, wich ruins the aesthetic a bit...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Michael Janich

Re: New pm2 : loctite on a washer ?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ramonade:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If possible, could you post pictures showing the Loctite residue?

Stay safe,

Mike
not_the_sharpest

Post by not_the_sharpest »

I had a similar problem with loctite on the scales and was able to get most of it off. It took a while and I believe the most effective part of the process was physically removing the loctite with the xacto knife.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89391
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Hi, thanks for the welcome message.

I did put some victorinox oil on the scale (I remembered that it would remove blue loctite, but if it is 243 loctite, it is resistant to it or smth?), and it removed some of it.
Here's what's left on the g10 :

I'll precise that it is now less visible, the oil made it clearer, almost invisible. We only see the reflection made by the loctite.

Here's the residue on the washer showing from the side when the knife is closed :

Here's some more in another position with the blade moved :

@not_the_sharpest : Yes, that's something that has always worked for me, however I use the safety pin of my Victorinox Compact :') . But since this is a brand new knife I wanted to avoid any manipulation that could leave marks on the g10.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

It's not going to cause a problem with the action of the knife or cause any performance issues, but...

It is very sloppy work, aesthetically displeasing and would bother me on a BNIB knife. It's not worth returning or anything like that, but it is disappointing.

Thanks for posting pics.
So it goes.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Ramonade:

Thank you very much for the update and for taking the time to shoot such good photos. I will ensure they are brought to the attention of the manager of our assemblers so we can strive to do better.

Stay safe,

Mike
FK

Post by FK »

Again poor customer service response,,, the owner should be given a no cost return shipping credit and the knife be replaced.

I have been a loyal customer of Spyderco for over 25 years, the customer service reply is very discouraging.

Regards,
FK
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Not trying to pile on, but I am discouraged as well by the recent CS responses.

On a side note, maybe the assemblers could be given gel or paste thread-locker versus liquid? I think it would be easier to apply it evenly and avoid over-application.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Does anyone have a good DIY chemical solution for removing thread locker for the OP?

I've never tried different chemical solvents or anything for thread locker. Obviously it needs to be safe for application on the G10, but G10 is really chemically resilient...
So it goes.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

JRinFL wrote: Not trying to pile on, but I am discouraged as well by the recent CS responses.
FK wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:38 am
Again poor customer service response,,, the owner should be given a no cost return shipping credit and the knife be replaced.

I have been a loyal customer of Spyderco for over 25 years, the customer service reply is very discouraging.

Regards,
FK
Just so we're clear, Michael Janich is not the CS team. He's the special projects coordinator, and also covers technical writing and high-profile PR writing. He's working with Sal and Kristi to respond to questions on the forum and in this case by passing along an insight offered by a customer.

If you have a warranty claim, you need to call or email the warranty department.
—Daniel Jackson
FK

Post by FK »

Jackson Knives,
The warranty dept has rules dictated by senior management, obviously they do not have discretion to accept a customers claim for replacement or no cost return shipping.
Several years ago, I received a new PM2 Cruwear with missing detent on lockbar,,,, after calIing Customer Service,,, had to ship it back to Spyderco at my own expense.

Customer service was very politly stated "yes, they had a problem with bad lock bars" and replaced the lock bar quickly,,, but why does company policy force me to spend additional funds for a Golden quality control error?

This forum is an excellent way for senior management to obtain feedback on what their problems are in QC and knife design weaknesses. Michael Janich is responding to the OP and represents Spyderco, This issue should be brought to the attention of senior management.

The warranty dept has been a ongoing major complaint for many long term Spyderco fans.

Regards,
FK
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I always clean my G10 scales with a Magic Eraser. I'm not sure if that would help in this case?? But worth a try if you have them around.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:59 am
Dear Ramonade:

Thank you very much for the update and for taking the time to shoot such good photos. I will ensure they are brought to the attention of the manager of our assemblers so we can strive to do better.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for taking the time. My post wasn't much to complain and way more to have insights as how to deal with this problem (if it was indeed a problem :grin-smiling-eyes ).

As for all the answers from members, thanks for being so present on the forum, it helps me a lot. Since I live in France I tend to handle anything on my own, or simply return the knife to my dealer if there is any issue (they've always been nice and sent me a new perfect sample, chose by themselves).

For this situation, a bit of loctite is not much of a problem, as long as I know the exact one used I could find the solvant (and G10 is pretty tough, usually glue solvants are not much of a problem for it).

However, I found out that this PM2 also has a pretty big case of lock stick. After all I did read about this knife for years, this appears to often be the case. To unlock the blade, I do not need heavy pressure but it does make a certain sound and needs way more pressure than my Maxamet Para 3, or my other comp. lock Spydercos.
I'm opening and closing it a lot, but the lock stick is present only when I "flick" the blade, so I'm doing it to break the knife in...

I did read that I could play with the stop pin, rotating it, to help get rid of the lock stick. Sadly, I found out that there is a ton of loctite on this part too. In addition, the action -if we disregard the lock stick- is perfect as it is.

FK

Post by FK »

+1 for Magic Eraser,,,, I purchased a used Military in Cruwear with very dirty G10,,, looked hopeless,,,, a bath of warm water and Magic Eraser made the light grey scales like new. Not certain if the chemical bond with Loctite would be affected however, worth a try.
I also recommend heat from hot air gun or dryer,,, head does soften the Loctite bond, then apply cleaner of choice.
Some recommend acetone, if that will affect the G10,,, not certain.

Recommendations from Loctite:

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/know ... -glue.html

Regards,
FK
Last edited by FK on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

FK wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:38 am

Regards,
FK
Right on! Spyderco should be ashamed of this customer service response.
Hiker Mike

Post by Hiker Mike »

FK wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:18 pm
Why does company policy force me to spend additional funds for a Golden quality control error?
If Spyderco ships out a defective knife, they should take ownership of their error. They should never force an unsuspecting customer to incur postage costs to remedy it.
FK wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:18 pm
This forum is an excellent way for senior management to obtain feedback on what their problems are in QC and knife design weaknesses. Michael Janich is responding to the OP and represents Spyderco.
100%!

Sadly, this thread is an ‘own goal’ by Spyderco. :anguished

They had an opportunity to quickly acknowledge the problem and promise the OP that they would make it right, That response would have won them a lot of goodwill, not only with the OP but with everyone who reads the thread.

Instead, they’ve chosen to post a meaningless assurance that they will try to improve their work on future products. That doesn’t help the OP at all. Shame!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since I am a new member, my answer came in pretty late ! The main thing was : I'm not complaining and am just seeking for a method to get rid of blue loctite without damaging anything (G10, phosphore bronze, etc.).

Managed to get rid of 90% of the lock stick by rotating the stop pin a bit, here's what I think was the culprit :

By the way, I noticed another thing : the lanyard tube is really proud and/or badly finish on the presentation side of the scale. I did not cut myself with it because the hand doesn't rest on it, i tried and pressed the scale against paper : it did cut it !
Here's some bad shots of it (phone can't do macro) :

There might just be a burr left on the lanyard tube ?

Thanks again,
Robin.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Robin, that one should really go back to Spyderco for remediation.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:23 pm
Robin, that one should really go back to Spyderco for remediation.
Thanks for your message. I admit that this sample of a pm2 would be a candidate to a Golden return. However, the shipping of knives over to the USA from France is the client responsability. If anything happens to the package : it's my loss. French customs could very well keep it in both direction ! Happened once with another knife.

Since I tinker a lot with knives, making scales, fixing detents and all, I do not have any problem with fixing this myself. The lock stick has been reduced and the detent was a bit weak but I fixed it.

As for the lanyard tube, there's indeed a burr on one side. I have many ceramic rods and decided to disassemble my Work Sharp guided field sharpener and take the Coarse and Fine ceramic parts of the rod (perfect circumference) to reduce this burr and leave a good finish on the chamfer.

I'll snap some pictures of the end result just in case anyone might be interested in the future.

Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

wow, ya'll on Spyderco's CS like a hooker on a sinker lol. but seriously, i have gotten probably 20 to 25 spydies BNIB and not once have i had to send the knife back or even contact Spyderco's CS. if there was an issue it was small enough for me to fix on my own. maybe I'm just lucky tho...
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN