BD1N is no slouch, man…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

BD1N is no slouch, man…

Post by Manifestgtr »

I carried my Para 3 lw a couple times in the past week. Today, in particular, I REALLY put it to use on some cardboard and shaved down a wood plug with it since it was the closest knife.

I get home (thinking I’ve probably wrecked up the edge), pick up a piece of paper on my sharpening bench to test it out and “shhhhinggggg”, right through without a single hangup. BD1N is really quite impressive considering its position as a budget option in Spyderco’s stable. It comes beautifully finished from the factory, holds an edge for real and sharpens on any stone you have. Using the criteria of reliable, serviceable tools/materials, BD1N really punches above its class, man. Thinking about picking up a BD1N Manix 2 :thinking
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Matus

Re: BD1N is no slouch, man…

Post by Matus »

Even though Para3 LW does not quite fit my hand, I still think it is one of the best deals from Spyderco.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Do yourself a favor and pick up a Manix 2 LW in BD1N indeed! For me a much better knife than the Para 3 LW (and, differently to what many say, imho carries really well due to its shape and low weight).

AND: YES, BD1N is amazing, as I know from my Manix 2 LW in this steel! I am not a steel expert, but that said: It sharpens even quicker than VG10 and even easier to a super-keen edge, and holds the sharpness much longer than I'd have guessed..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I agree. The BD1N Manix is a great knife with a steel better, than you might think. And the blade finish is very nice indeed.
This steel really is super easy to sharpen. The first time I sharpened my BD1N Manix, I accidentally created kind of a mirror polish. I know, mirror does not equal sharp, but it felt very easy to get there.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:17 am
Do yourself a favor and pick up a Manix 2 LW in BD1N indeed! For me a much better knife than the Para 3 LW (and, differently to what many say, imho carries really well due to its shape and low weight).

AND: YES, BD1N is amazing, as I know from my Manix 2 LW in this steel! I am not a steel expert, but that said: It sharpens even quicker than VG10 and even easier to a super-keen edge, and holds the sharpness much longer than I'd have guessed..
I second everything Wartstein said. He is right on the mark.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I was given a Manix 2 as a gift in this steel . My first impression was be polite and thank everybody .What am I going to ever do with this knife it just did not appeal to me . It sat for a couple weeks and thought better try it out , I may be missing something . So I did a one week trial which turned into a two week trial . The steel is very good and holds edge well , actually the steel won me over to the Manix 2 . A lwt may not be for everybody but this combination really is a winner . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

My Manix2 LW BD1N is in my pocket right now. It’s a fantastic user.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I really like bd1n, it’s kinda the X factor in steel, should be way more popular
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Para 3 LW BD1N is in my pocket at work today. I've been really happy with it. But I also have a Manix 2 LW with BD1 and I've been perfectly happy with that too. It cuts way more cardboard than it should
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

My Manix 2 LW is consistently my sharpest knife because of how little it takes to maintain. That thing is hair whittling or close to it every time I put it in my pocket. I wish they made more models in this steel, like the Centofante or even that performance Delica. I feel like it’s a blade steel begging for some wicked geometry.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

I swapped the BD1N DLC SpyderEdge blade from the Para 3 LW to the blacked out G-10 version since there's no DLC SpyderEdge option on the G-10 for some reason. My main EDC.
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Thank you all for the great information.

I have the para 3 in s110v and it's a wild every day carry knife. But I hold back sometimes due to the cost. I have been looking at the BD1N lw due to the price. Almost half the cost and if I damage it, $100 is easier to eat than $200. Knowing the steel is good, this will be by next buy.

Thanks again,
Dusty
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Dusty Cliff wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm

I hold back sometimes due to the cost.
This is another contributing factor. It’s not that I hold back with the more expensive knives…it’s the abandon you can use with budget knives. I don’t worry that this is the 10-15th edge it’s had. I don’t worry about it slipping out of my pocket, etc.

Sometimes it’s just nice to carry a knife that isn’t so rare, it goes for double MSRP if you can find one.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Spyderco built their reputation on Gingami 1. CTS BD1 is Carpenter's version of Gin-1, and BD1N is an enhanced version of that steel. It may not be the latest and greatest, but it's still good stuff, better than most of the knife steel on the mass market.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

If BD1N is better than most mass market steels, and it is on the lower end of Spyderco steels does that mean most Spyderco steels are on the top end? Well YES.
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:47 pm
Dusty Cliff wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm

I hold back sometimes due to the cost.
This is another contributing factor. It’s not that I hold back with the more expensive knives…it’s the abandon you can use with budget knives. I don’t worry that this is the 10-15th edge it’s had. I don’t worry about it slipping out of my pocket, etc.

Sometimes it’s just nice to carry a knife that isn’t so rare, it goes for double MSRP if you can find one.
I carried a buck knife for years for this reason. Some how I became a steel snob along the way. Stupid covid and lockdowns has pushed me to find interest in the most random things.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:47 pm
I admit I have several Manix LW in BD1 for this reason. If they get lost or broken, it's no big deal. I really appreciate spyderco keeping relatively inexpensive knives in the line up.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You are all enablers. All of you. Now what? Para3 LW I suppose.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I thought it was going to be some kind of Salt LC200N, but I have Salts. I don't think I want to wait for a Para 3 Salt. Does anyone know if that is a thing anyway?
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

lilshaver wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 am
If BD1N is better than most mass market steels, and it is on the lower end of Spyderco steels does that mean most Spyderco steels are on the top end? Well YES.
Yep looking at the steels side by side awesome stuff both

BD1N

C: 0.80-0.95; Cr: 15.00-17.00; Mo: 0.50;
Mn: 1.00; N: 0.10-0.15; P: 0.000-0.030;
S: 0.000-0.010; Si: 1.00;

VG-10

C: 0.95-1.05; V: 0.10-0.30; Cr: 14.50-15.50;
Mo: 0.90-1.20; Co: 1.30-1.50; Mn: 0.50;
P: 0.03; S: ?; Si: ?;
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red