Ripps Garage Tech Micarta vs Flytanium Micarta Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Snacktime

Ripps Garage Tech Micarta vs Flytanium Micarta Scales

Post by Snacktime »

Figured I would post some photos, and a simple review.

So for the RGT scales the fit and finish is just below spyderco factory quality. The milled out pocket for the liners has slightly more play and when you put them together there is a hairs difference in the profile between 2 sides. Lanyard hole spacer fit less snug that spyderco (actualy might be a good thing). Canvas micarta is smoother than spyderco g10, Linen micarta is smooth like spyopera. I am overall very happy with the quality for the money. Really splitting hairs on the difference. No issues centering knife and getting the action set how I want.

Flytanium Scales fit perfect, edges match up perfect. Milled out area for liners had no play almost press fit, felt like they clicked in. Lanyard hole was about the exact same as RGT, just a little looser than Spyderco Factory. These come in less colors and have a curve to them. About the same friction between fingers as spyderco g10. Definitely a good product with very good fit and finish. Yet again, no issues getting action and blade centering.

Flytanium Micarta ($50)- More grip, more texture, rounded handle, cheaper, made in china...
RGT Canvas Micarta ($60)- Very close feel to Spyderco Canvas Micarta, most factory like, made in USA
RGT Linen Micarta ($60)- Smooth, hair thinner than the canvas scales, made in USA

Purchased RGT Blue Canvas Micarta installed on a Emerson PM2
Purchased RGT Natural Bone Linen Micarta installed on Satin Tanto S30V PM2
Purchased Flytanium Black Micarta installed on Satin Tanto S30V PM2
In for contrast are SMKY PM2 and Shaman Z-Wear

Last edited by Snacktime on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Rinzler

Re: Ripps Garage Tech Micarta vs Flytanium Micarta Scales

Post by Rinzler »

Flytanium is Chinese. You might as well just order off of Wish or Alibaba if you’re buying Chinese scales. You’ll also save $50+ for equal quality of the same country of origin.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Looks great, thanks for the review. Those blue RGT scales look awesome.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Nice review of some of the Micarta options. You might want to give RCbladeworks a try, higher priced yet with some different material choices
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Some great comparison shots. I've picked up aftermarket micarta scales form Allen Putnam, Suingab, and RGT so far, and Suingab was the best so far. Spyderco's factory micarta is still my favorite, though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I was very much looking at RCbladeworks mexican blanket scales. Never seen Suingab mentioned, look's like they have micarta for Seki models, this could get expensive!

Really my biggest issue was total price of the knife + scales and how good of a deal was my shaman Z-wear.

Going to have to amend my original post, after some time with the flytanium micarta definitely getting a hot spot based on the design. Need to take a few comparison pictures to show how the handle curve around the finger choil makes a hot spot vs factory scales.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021